#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Would the Secret Service not help remove him, if he were no longer the sitting president?
Yeah I don't get this objection. The president-elect becomes president when he's sworn in on the Capitol steps - a ceremony the outgoing president traditionally always is present for, but plays no actual official role in whatsoever. Trump and his entire cabinet could barricade the White House doors and obstinately refuse to leave and a solution to that problem would have to be worked out at some point but it wouldn't somehow make Trump "still the president", or mean that the federal departments still have to take orders from him and his cabinet.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Yeah I don't get this objection. The president-elect becomes president when he's sworn in on the Capitol steps - a ceremony the outgoing president traditionally always is present for, but plays no actual official role in whatsoever. Trump and his entire cabinet could barricade the White House doors and obstinately refuse to leave and a solution to that problem would have to be worked out at some point but it wouldn't somehow make Trump "still the president", or mean that the federal departments still have to take orders from him and his cabinet.
That was kind of my point. Basically, while former presidents do get SS details, they don't get nearly as many as they do while in office. And protecting your life doesn't preclude removal from a premises that you no longer are entitled to occupy.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That was kind of my point. Basically, while former presidents do get SS details, they don't get nearly as many as they do while in office. And protecting your life doesn't preclude removal from a premises that you no longer are entitled to occupy.
Yeah and I am 100% positive that the Secret Service would never try to prevent some other law enforcement agency from arresting a non-president protectee. They're there to keep them safe from assassins, not the cops.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Yeah I don't get this objection. The president-elect becomes president when he's sworn in on the Capitol steps
Umm no. The Swearing is a ceremony just for show, not a constitutional requirement. Even if not sworn in, the President elect becomes president at the specific time his predeccessors term ends.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Tell him that. Even if any rational person realizes him physically being in the wh means nada he would want the spectacle for his supporters.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Umm no. The Swearing is a ceremony just for show, not a constitutional requirement. Even if not sworn in, the President elect becomes president at the specific time his predeccessors term ends.
Exactly, see lbj being sworn in on air force one. Although he was technically president before then.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
In an analogous situation, when the Queen dies, the heir to the throne (Charles, if he's still alive) will become king at that moment, not at the moment he swears the Coronation Oath and the Archbishop crowns him king.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Analogous except for all the hereditary bullshit.
Analogous in that the role passes at the moment of the office-holder's death according to the order of succession because that's what the appropriate legislation (the Act of Settlement 1701 as amended in the UK and the Presidential Succession Act in the USA) says happens, not at the moment the Archbishop of Canterbury/Chief Justice administers the oath.

In the admittedly unlikely event of the appropriate official refusing to administer the oath, Charles would still be king and Trump's successor would still be President. An official can't sabotage proceedings in the way a priest can by refusing to marry a couple (or the County Clerk refusing to issue a marriage licence).

That's what I meant.

Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I do hope something concrete actually comes of all this. He should've faced consequences way before now so many times that I'm afraid to cheer until I see it happening.
I do think they'll have to carry him out kicking and screaming.
I'm not sure he could handle barricading himself in the WH though. No golf or Big Macs?

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I do hope something concrete actually comes of all this. He should've faced consequences way before now so many times that I'm afraid to cheer until I see it happening.
I'll believe it when I see it too.

Holding the rich and powerful (primarily the rich) accountable in any significant way is something we simply do not do in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.