December, 2008
SLU Posts
B5!!!!!!!!!!

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Romana

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Heinlein comes to mind, actually; including a few where the evangelicals take control of the US and there is a second american revolution.
"If This Goes On..."
One of my favorites. To be found in The Past Through Tomorrow, if anyone hasn't read it and is curious.
It would be nice to think that Rump would end up the same as that story's Prophet Incarnate.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
"If This Goes On..."
One of my favorites. To be found in The Past Through Tomorrow, if anyone hasn't read it and is curious.
It would be nice to think that Rump would end up the same as that story's Prophet Incarnate.
Also, Stranger in a Strange Land were they were dealing with a similar evangelical cult.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Heinlein comes to mind, actually; including a few where the evangelicals take control of the US and there is a second american revolution.
One of the top 3 authors I will read anything by, even if everyone says a particular book is bad.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Govi

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Also, Stranger in a Strange Land were they were dealing with a similar evangelical cult.
That one is just plain hilarious. I once had to write a paper on a religion so I picked the church of all worlds ... simply because I wanted to be able to cite stranger in a bibliography.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
If I was a Christian I'd find this very offensive. Hell, I find it very offensive as a non-Christian:

ETA: An article about that point of view:

Last edited:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
If I was a Christian I'd find this very offensive. Hell, I find it very offensive as a non-Christian:

So, here's the thing a lot of people forget; Christianity is a dual faith. Satan is the other half. And its especially important to remember that right now, even if they don't want to even accept it , even the ones who are good people who try and follow their good deity's teachings and not their evil one's teachings.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
So, here's the thing a lot of people forget; Christianity is a dual faith. Satan is the other half. And its especially important to remember that right now, even if they don't want to even accept it , even the ones who are good people who try and follow their good deity's teachings and not their evil one's teachings.
Actually dualism is a heresy according to Catholic doctrine - the devil holds no more power than God granted him. ... Which makes trinity even more ridiculous .... how could the devil try to tempt Jesus who is God in the desert, when he is actualy his sole source of power in the first time?

• 1Like

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Actually dualism is a heresy according to Catholic doctrine - the devil holds no more power than God granted him. ... Which makes trinity even more ridiculous .... how could the devil try to tempt Jesus who is God in the desert, when he is actualy his sole source of power in the first time?
I'm not talking about the doctrine or dogma; I'm talking about the actual facts. It is a religion with a dichotomy; it has a bad guy, and the bad guy is often worshiped by people who think they're worshipping the good guy.
When inspirational quote calenders quote Satan trying to tempt Jesus into worshiping him, as a quote of giving God everything and he'll give you wealth?

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Ashiri and Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I'm not talking about the doctrine or dogma; I'm talking about the actual facts. It is a religion with a dichotomy; it has a bad guy, and the bad guy is often worshiped by people who think they're worshipping the good guy.
When inspirational quote calenders quote Satan trying to tempt Jesus into worshiping him, as a quote of giving God everything and he'll give you wealth?
Word!

Lay people don’t understand the Nicene Trinity (can anyone?) so what fundies believe in practice is usually some type of dualist heresy.

This also means that in practice, the fundies fail at monotheism. I think this explains some of their hangups and projections.

They’re particularly big on calling anyone who disagrees with them “selfish” and “arrogant” because “everyone is a sinner” but in that case, who really rules this world?

It’s primed to be corrosive to ethics.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Ashiri

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

This is absolutely despicable. The Jesus I worship would never stand for Trump's shenanigans.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
This is absolutely despicable. The Jesus I worship would never stand for Trump's shenanigans.
Also, Jesus in the bible was a mild mannered communist. The dumbest Trump supporters think he's a good Christian. Those people are baffling. The conservatives I know who I respect see him as a useful idiot but also a bit embarrassing sometimes. I am glad I don't know anyone in RL who thinks Trump is like Jesus...

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Romana

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Also, Jesus in the bible was a mild mannered communist. The dumbest Trump supporters think he's a good Christian. Those people are baffling. The conservatives I know who I respect see him as a useful idiot but also a bit embarrassing sometimes. I am glad I don't know anyone in RL who thinks Trump is like Jesus...
I doubt those media trolls really think so - I bet someone somewhere in a basement mentally gets off on the thought of us being offended by that post.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
It's far easier for me to believe in problems relating to the Russian Mafia (which actually exists).

• 1Agree

danielravennest

SLU Posts
"If This Goes On..."
Heinlein was born in Missouri, in 1907. Religion was much stronger when he was growing up than today. So it totally made sense from his viewpoint to predict a religious takeover. But predicting the future is hard, especially before it happens. He failed to predict modern electronics, and he failed to predict that religion would die out. Even among Evangelicals, their children are less religious than their parents. The problem is it takes a couple of generations for it to die out, and it happens more slowly in monocultural areas.

• 1Thanks

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I think the Old Testament god is the bad guy. It's like an absent parent who gets upset when the kids do something against their rules. Adam and Eve had no parents. So they were like children, whatever physical age they were created. If he could assign an angel to guard the Garden *after* he kicked them out, why couldn't he have had one to watch over and teach them beforehand, and keep an eye out for the Serpent? If he wanted to keep them away from the Trees of Life and Knowledge, he could have, like, put up a wall or something. But noo, blame the kids for his mistakes.

• 1Like
Status
Not open for further replies.