Not open for further replies.

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
*KLEENEX WARNING*
An exhibition of photos shot by a former dentention facility janitor. (Old article but better reporting than previous articles)
These items were all seized from migrants and asylum seekers trekking through the desert in an attempt to cross the U.S.-Mexico border. Deemed potentially lethal or nonessential by border officials, the medications were thrown away, along with other personal belongings, during the first stages of processing at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility in southern Arizona.
Border Patrol threw away migrants' belongings. A janitor saved and photographed them
One of his first vivid memories from the job was seeing the canned food that the migrants carried. In his first two years on the job, agents collected the cans and brought them to a local food bank. But under new leadership, they were told to stop donating the food.
One of the show’s biggest tragedies, Mart said, “is that we have no way of knowing really who these people are, who carried these things, what happened to them, and what they’re doing now.”
I think the baby shoes, depression medication & insulin hit me the hardest.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Tantrump insults his Jewish audience (and many other Jews for not worshipping Israel enough, because the more division, the better) and they cheer him.
Of course, it's AIPAC. But to not care about blatant antisemitism because he's pro-Israel (as long as it suits him).....

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Just wondering... does the NRA realize that if Trump gets reellected the 2nd amendment is ready for the dumpster (not by him but by whoever gets to clean up after him)? It obviously proved ineffective in doing it's job if that happens...

If I were them I'd push conservative representatives for removal from office to prove the constitution + amendmends are working.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
*KLEENEX WARNING*
An exhibition of photos shot by a former dentention facility janitor. (Old article but better reporting than previous articles)

Border Patrol threw away migrants' belongings. A janitor saved and photographed them

I think the baby shoes, depression medication & insulin hit me the hardest.
On 9/11 I was fine watching all the news coverage. The towers collapsing. The attack on the Pentagon (from which I could smell burning jet fuel the next morning). I collapsed at one thing on the tv though: a pile of rubble with a single shoe.

Meds though? How dare anyone call those nonessential or whatever. I would freak out if anyone even tried to separate me from my medications. Besides, I highly doubt there was an MD making the call if those meds were needed or not.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Trump has a pretty consistent reaction to mass shootings. If it's a white supremacist, it is just an isolated case of mental illness. But if the shooter is muslim, it is radical islamic terrorism.

Except this time:

When a Saudi Air Force officer opened fire on his classmates at a naval base in Pensacola, Fla., on Friday, he killed three, wounded eight and exposed anew the strange dynamic between President Trump and the Saudi leadership: The president’s first instinct was to tamp down any suggestion that the Saudi government needed to be held to account.

Hours later, Mr. Trump announced on Twitter that he had received a condolence call from King Salman of Saudi Arabia, who clearly sought to ensure that the episode did not further fracture their relationship. On Saturday, leaving the White House for a trip here for a Republican fund-raiser and a speech on Israeli-American relations, Mr. Trump told reporters that “they are devastated in Saudi Arabia,” noting that “the king will be involved in taking care of families and loved ones.” He never used the word “terrorism.”

Between this and letting Khashoggi's brutal murder slide, it's clear that Putin isn't Trump's only master.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Trump has a pretty consistent reaction to mass shootings. If it's a white supremacist, it is just an isolated case of mental illness. But if the shooter is muslim, it is radical islamic terrorism.
Unfortunately not only Trump, this is happening in many Western countries on global scale. And now let's just think that the hero of such a shooting rescuing many people would be a muslim, I guess they would not know on how to react.

One thing is clear: terrorism can happen also in every country on its own, just like Breivik in Norway demonstrated. It's not a "muslim only" thing per se like some media are trying to paint the picture.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I have no words for just how unspeakably evil the CBP, especially under the Trump administration, truly is. I have no words.
It's maybe worth noting that, according to the article,
While working as a janitor at the same facility from 2003 to 2014, photographer Tom Kiefer secretly collected the belongings and later began shooting them.
So all this was happening well before the current barbarian administration, though doubtless conditions are even worse now for refugees and asylum seekers whose papers are not in order.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
There's a shithole country joke in here somewhere.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Explains why he was a democrat donor. I didn't even question the absurdity.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm in the middle of reading Beyond Belief: The American Press And The Coming Of The Holocaust, 1933- 1945, by Deborah Lipstadt, which addresses the question of what was the US press reporting about the Nazi persecution of the Jews and the Holocaust from 1933--1945, how it was reporting it, and what were the public and official reactions to the growing revelations about mass murder and genocide.

The various reactions, public and official both, included discussions about whether European Jews fleeing persecution and murder at the hands of the Nazis should be allowed shelter in the US, the UK, and elsewhere -- and generally, not matter how much the various governments, media and public deplored the suffering and murder of the Jews, they were far less willing to offer refuge to anyone fleeing from Nazi persecution.

The attitudes to refugees held then by large sections of the US and UK media, politicians and public, and the arguments against allowing them to enter the country, seem alarmingly similar to those we see and hear nowadays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.