We need to tell the stories of low-paid and casual workers who are suffering in this coronavirus crisis, says Guardian columnist John Harris
www.theguardian.com
Yeah - I know we're lucky here - my housemate and my spouse both work from home, and for the one, well, he's an author, and people are reading more.
But a lot of our friends are not so lucky. One works for a resort just over the border in 'Bama, and he's been furloughed, and well, a lot of our friends work the con circuit like I do. I'm not making any money, and won't be until next year at the earliest, unless someone decides they want to buy something from my online store.
And even then, depending on how long this lasts; will my [wool] supplier still even be in business? Will people have money to afford going to cons and buying high ticket items, like the ones I mostly make?
Yeah, we're lucky, but I know most of us are not.