How COVID-19 is affecting society

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
[personal opinion]
IMHO it could help a little if it is a professional made but non medical use mask. Good luck laying hands on those.
When homemade with love and a lot of improvisation, it will help [next to] nothing. Mainly a ceremonial function only. Like sprinkling holy water.

Six feet distance.
Wash your hands often.
Limit visitors as much as possible.
Stay at home as much as possible.
That helps.
The number of hospitalizations is dropping over here. You hardly see a mask outside the medical circuit.
[/personal opinion]
 
Last edited:

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
Now they say normal folks should wear masks?

Where the heck is a body supposed to get masks, NOW?
You make them. I sacrificed a couple of shirts and sewed masks for Other Half and myself. The mandate or advisory (depending on where you are) simply says "face covering". So I could probably just put on my firey head and it would qualify. I wouldn't though, because it's hard to see through and doesn't offer the kind of protection I'd like.
 

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
Joined
Dec 24, 2018
Messages
3,540
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
0
Just as an aside, has anyone heard from bronxelf? I sent her a message over twitter yesterday to see if she's okay, but I'm not sure if she even checks her account anymore.
She's on the book of faces.

Quarantined and taking a break from social media because people are thoughtless asshats :/

Someone tell me why I have been inundated with people, many of them near total strangers (Rul, not you. That was fine. xo), IMing me wanting me to promote their shit? Putting aside the fact that none of them care about promoting what I do (because I just don't care if people reciprocate or not) Can you not *read a room*? Do you really think that "hey, how's lockdown in nyc going and by the way, here's my new single!" is going to go over well? Do you think your latest release is just so amazing that it's going to outweigh what I've written in paragraph 1?

Im not joking. I have been *FLOODED* with shit like this. Sure, I might wind up dead, but how about that new release you've got, right? Priorities.

I always said if I didn't have to be on social media I wouldn't be. I can't work right now, and I have no other reason to be obligated to be here anymore.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
How to make a bandana face mask. This is what I did & it seems good enough to me & I happen to have half a dozen bandanas at home. :)


I don't have ANY bandanas. :(

I have these set of dark patterned window curtains that I'm never going to use. I'm get out the scissors and make a couple of masks out of one, that are long enough to tie behind my head. I've got a few pairs of socks that are still new in the bag and haven't ever been worn yet; I think I'll use them for inserts since the sock cloth is much tighter and thicker than the curtain fabric. I might trial a couple different kinds of cloth this way to see what's thickest that I can still comfortably breathe through.

It is so freaking ridiculous that it's 2020 and this is where we are. Life imitates Theatre of the Absurd.

I just called my ride to verify they're coming to take me to the store tomorrow still. It's a break of the whole "social distancing" thing but what can I do? Until the "stimulus check" that we're allegedly supposed to be getting actually materializes in my bank account, my car is broken, I can't go anywhere without a ride and I have to buy groceries.

Tomorrow will be my first trip to the actual supermarket since the first week of last month. I have no idea what to expect. This is going to be an adventure.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
I’d been using an extra long pashmina scarf during the last weeks (it helps that it’s still a tad cold here) that I would wrap around my nose and mouth three times but this morning I started making my own using a T-shirt (by hand no machine). Then my brother called to tell me he had a bunch of spare ones if I need some, groan. He was an orderly but retired last summer. He may volunteer if they need replacement employees...

Anyway, I’ll still finish the one I’m making for fun.
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
There isn't a lot out there on best fabrics for a mask yet. Has any one found good data so far?
 

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,849
SL Rez
2017
I have two sewing machines and I'm not afraid to use them. If you don't have one, hand sewing will do. They are a small project.
those masks don't work much - but hey - at least some feel safer when everyone fakes wearing protection - and this is all that counts in post factual dystopia

they will either hinder breathing and not be worn airtight (guess what, this won't help much)
or not filter the fine particles (you know, the ugly small ones that can keep adrift in the air for minutes - it will only filter those that fall to the ground by themselves due to gravity)
There isn't a lot out there on best fabrics for a mask yet. Has any one found good data so far?
Technical filter membranes normal folks like you and me have no access to
 
Last edited:

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
Joined
Dec 24, 2018
Messages
3,540
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
0
I have two sewing machines and I'm not afraid to use them. If you don't have one, hand sewing will do. They are a small project.
Or do a no-sew with a bandana and a couple of rubber bands.