How COVID-19 is affecting society

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
The only reason not to is... my mom has the opposite problem of a lot of her peers; She won't believe -anything- off of the internet [unless its on TV from some presenter...]
Lol. Even video of the congress critter posted by the congress critter?
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Musk has always claimed that coronavirus is "just a flu" and that preventative measures are tyranny. Even if this separate, different test confirms his diagnosis, expect a lot of "I feel fine, this is nothing" and "there's still something bogus going on".
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,706
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
First one is made by universities in the USA and UK; it basically says that one long term effect of surviving COVID19 is that you are getting dumber up to 8.5 IQ points.
For a lot of Trump supporters, that could well put them in the negative! Is that even possible?
 
  • 1ROFL
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Clara D. and Beebo Brink

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
About the UK, but much may be true of the US, too, I think


Evernote link because paywall

He's writing about the part of the country I'm from, so I know he's oversimplifying a great deal to make a point, and I'm not at all sure his chart is quite as conclusive evidence as he thinks it is, I think his general point about the different impacts of Covid on different social and economic groups is very sound.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
About the UK, but much may be true of the US, too, I think


Evernote link because paywall

He's writing about the part of the country I'm from, so I know he's oversimplifying a great deal to make a point, and I'm not at all sure his chart is quite as conclusive evidence as he thinks it is, I think his general point about the different impacts of Covid on different social and economic groups is very sound.
Very clearly, and the lack of any public health system in the US makes it worse.

Not mentioned in the article, and also probably worse in the US, is the greater risk to service industry workers. The initial lockdowns hit restaurant, retail, and other service industries. They represented the largest group of covid-related unemployed or even worse, locked in limbo because they had not been fired but did not have work due to closures. My immediate circle are professionals and academics for the most part, and our work has changed but not diminished.

Then there are the calls by covidiots to open services while they refuse to take basic safety precautions. The workers are the ones put into the worst risk, as they have to pick between confronting customers (who have been violent in many places, sometimes while armed) or exposure to the virus from people who will not protect a fast food employee because Freedom. Again, most of the people I know are working remotely or at organizations that can take steps to protect employees. Retail, food, and service industries don't have that option.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,257
SL Rez
2006
Again, most of the people I know are working remotely or at organizations that can take steps to protect employees. Retail, food, and service industries don't have that option.
I was thinking about that disparity today as I placed an online order for groceries, which we'll pick up on Monday. Just yesterday we took advantage of an Anthem Blue-Cross program for a virtual health care consult; it took all of 15-mins to get a doctor online, who phoned in our prescription, which we picked up at a pharmacy drive-thru. Meanwhile I'm working from home with the full cooperation and even encouragement of my employer. Productivity is up, profits are up, and I'll get my regular annual bonus in another week or two, maybe even a raise. As a result of my white-collar IT job, my wife and I can successfully isolate for months, even years, significantly reducing our exposure risk.

It's like I'm living in an entirely different country from the store clerk who is bagging up my groceries, working for minimum wage and with few if any health benefits.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Florida Sen. Rick Scott has announced via Twitter that he will quarantine immediately after coming into contact with an individual who later tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday night.

The Senator said he was tested Saturday morning, and the result came back negative, but he will still be quarantining “out of an abundance of caution.” Scott said he has no symptoms as of this morning. It is unclear currently if either party was wearing a mask.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I was thinking about that disparity today as I placed an online order for groceries, which we'll pick up on Monday. Just yesterday we took advantage of an Anthem Blue-Cross program for a virtual health care consult; it took all of 15-mins to get a doctor online, who phoned in our prescription, which we picked up at a pharmacy drive-thru. Meanwhile I'm working from home with the full cooperation and even encouragement of my employer. Productivity is up, profits are up, and I'll get my regular annual bonus in another week or two, maybe even a raise. As a result of my white-collar IT job, my wife and I can successfully isolate for months, even years, significantly reducing our exposure risk.

It's like I'm living in an entirely different country from the store clerk who is bagging up my groceries, working for minimum wage and with few if any health benefits.
I'm in exactly the same position, Beebo. Comfortable apartment, I work from home anyway, I can order online and have it delivered, and anything else, my cleaner will pick up for me if I ask her (I pay her during lockdown, and she offered to do the shopping and pick up prescriptions, so I don't feel bad about asking). I didn't leave the apartment block, except for medical appointments, for three months, during our first lockdown.

For me it's no more than an inconvenience.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I hope every last person of influence who has said 'Its just a flu [like wtf there too]', that its a hoax, etc goes to prison for murder.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
A GOP spokeswoman confirmed the Nov. 5 victory dinner party this weekend in response to FOX 9’s questions about it. Republicans had not previously disclosed it, even as controversy erupted over the outbreak. The spokeswoman, Rachel Aplikowski, did not say why she had not disclosed the party in earlier public statements about the situation.

At least three senators, including Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, have now tested positive. Gazelka revealed his positive diagnosis on Sunday and said he was quarantining while on an out-of-state trip. Sen. Dave Senjem told FOX 9 he had tested positive last weekend. Sen. Paul Anderson has also tested positive, Aplikowski said.

On Tuesday, Republicans sent an internal memo to warn staffers about the outbreak. Multiple senators and staff had tested positive, the memo said.
But Democrats said the GOP never notified them about the COVID-19 outbreak before Thursday’s special session at the Capitol. Senate Democratic Leader Susan Kent said it was a ‘blatant disregard” of the health of other senators and Senate staff.
 

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007