How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Surprise, surprise. No mention of excel spreadsheets.
I think the "world beating" part must have been that someone told them about MySQL.

Now, if only someone would explain to them how to install WAMP (/me wonders whether to offer her services, in return for a huge consultancy fee ... trouble is that I'm not related to any rich Tory's father-in-law or second cousin that I know of).
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
I watched Fox for a good while this morning, to see how they are covering the pandemic. Well, they aren’t. Not a word. But they reported on the Minneapolis PD Funding twice.

I am really stunned. Even Fox I would expect to take notice of the catastrophe. Nope.
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
Nope, though I think there's a significant difference in that there's already an existing system to deliver flu and other vaccinations, medical screening and the like.
You must be used, as am I, to receiving letters from the NHS inviting you to make an appointment with your GP or somewhere else local for various tests and screening, presumably because the NHS computer systems automatically flag people who qualify, so a lot of the infrastructure is already there.
Indeed - I'm a hypertensive diabetic, amongst other things, and my local practice looks after me very well indeed.

The task of identifying all patients registered at a particular practice who are aged between (e.g.) 70 and 80 and offering them vaccinations over the next n weeks, and then scheduling follow-up booster doses as necessary, and then the exercise some weeks later for those aged between 60 and 70, must be a far simpler exercise than contact-tracing, I'd have thought.
The problem I foresee involves this government's liking for centralised systems run (at great expense and with little success) by their 'friends' in outsourcing. If they let the local practices run it like the flu etc. jabs it will work very well, but their usual 'make the consultants rich' approach promises something as outstandingly unsuccessful as 'Test & Trace'...
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,257
SL Rez
2006
I've always been fascinated by the way pandemics change society, accelerating change and undermining institutions. Of course, it's more comfortable to contemplate that scenario second-hand, reading about accounts of the Black Death in Europe, rather than living through it with COVID-19. On the other hand, I have a front-row seat to how the changes unfold in real time.

Today Mrs. Beebo and I took advantage of a health benefit offered by my company: Low-cost doctor consultation on demand, via phone/video. For $50 my wife was able to speak to a doctor about a medical issue, get a consultation and a prescription, and never leave home.

Now this service was available pre-COVID, but the pandemic has pushed it into significantly more prominence. I normally wouldn't even think to use it, but I'm now living in the middle of a town where not even the local pharmacy employees bother wearing their masks. (I went through the Walgreen's drive-by window to pick up a prescription and I saw four employees, all with their masks pulled down to their chins as they worked.) Any way we can avoid leaving the house, we're going to take it. There's always some risk that a virtual visit will miss some symptom, we recognize that, but weighing the risk of misdiagnosis versus catching COVID-19 really isn't a difficult judgment to make.

This benefit also points to a future in which we're not as limited by the medical resources in our impoverished state. Our town does not have the best physicians compared to other areas closer to Washington D.C. and it's almost impossible to get a GP, either they're not taking new patients or it takes weeks/months to get an appointment. I'm feeling a lot better now that -- at the very least -- a general practitioner is just a phone call away.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
There's something particularly creepy about the sanctimonious way an spokeswoman for a would-be authoritarian government should seek to justify in terms of individual freedom and parental choice conduct that amounts to sociopathic recklessness in the face of warnings from the school about the danger their irresponsibility posed to other children at the school, their parents and families, and the teachers and staff and their families.
If they weren't related to the President, they could be in legal trouble for reckless endangerment.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Indeed - I'm a hypertensive diabetic, amongst other things, and my local practice looks after me very well indeed.


The problem I foresee involves this government's liking for centralised systems run (at great expense and with little success) by their 'friends' in outsourcing. If they let the local practices run it like the flu etc. jabs it will work very well, but their usual 'make the consultants rich' approach promises something as outstandingly unsuccessful as 'Test & Trace'...
The main problem, as I understand it, will be finding enough qualified people to administer this huge number of vaccinations at a time when the NHS is already stretched to capacity by Covid-19, on top of their usual workload.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
More than 130 U.S. Secret Service officers have been ordered to isolate after testing positive for Covid-19 or being exposed to an infected co-worker, The Washington Post reported Friday.

The sidelined officers make up roughly 10% of the USSS core security team, according to the Post.

The outbreak is thought to be partially related to President Donald Trump’s campaign rallies, sources told the paper.
Nobody will be talking about COVID-19 after the elections...
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Moncef Slaoui heads Operation Warp Speed, the joint Health and Human Services-Department of Defense program to spur the creation of a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.

Slaoui told the newspaper that he would need approval from the Trump administration before he could reach out to the transition team led by President-elect Joe Biden.

“I hope nothing interferes with [Operation Warp Speed]. It is a matter of life and death for thousands of people,” he said.
Whether "Operation Warp Speed" is a real attempt to deal with the epidemic, or just another turd in Trump's litter box, Slaoui should at least be allowed to talk to the transition team.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459


Whether "Operation Warp Speed" is a real attempt to deal with the epidemic, or just another turd in Trump's litter box, Slaoui should at least be allowed to talk to the transition team.
As we're learning from announcements about planning in the UK, it's an immense challenge, not least because you've somehow got to find trained staff and the facilities safely to vaccinate huge numbers of people (so ensuring social distancing and keeping the facilities clean) at a time when medical staff are already struggling with the consequences of the pandemic.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Contact tracing? That's socialism

“I’m sorry, but if you’re OK with your kid ratting other kids out to the health department for attending a private event, you are the bigger problem …. SMDH SOCIALISM,” she wrote. “I don’t have to answer any of their questions. F#%* them.”
“This is how it all starts,” she continued. “Dividing, labeling. Your home raided in the middle of the night. Don’t think it could happen here? Think again. The difference is, our citizens are armed, according to their constitutional rights.”
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Contact tracing? That's socialism
This is why it's going to be impossible to "meet halfway" with Trump supporters. They 100% believe Joe Biden wants to send covid-police to raid peoples' homes in the middle of the night, and there's nothing you can do to convince them that isn't true.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
This is why it's going to be impossible to "meet halfway" with Trump supporters. They 100% believe Joe Biden wants to send covid-police to raid peoples' homes in the middle of the night, and there's nothing you can do to convince them that isn't true.
Remember that time Obama took your guns and put you in an abandoned Wal Mart Jade Helm HAARP Agenda 21 internment camp? Same as it ever was. 👍