How COVID-19 is affecting society

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
Of course, but that does mean we automatically get Pence in the runoff or someone else? That was my main thought.
Before the Republican National Convention, they have the flexability to nominate anyone. And in theory the Republicans could ask their Electors to support a new nominee at any date before the Electoral College votes. After the convention, it would likely fall to Pence.
 

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
The new school year is going to be horrible.

I just had a meeting with the summer school teacher, and I can happily announce that online summer school with kids who have 504s and IEPs for various issues is just going to be fraught with hilarity. My group consists of two 4th graders who read at the 1st to 2nd grade level (only one comprehends what he's reading), and math at the 2nd grade level with a ton of help, and an unknown 5th grader. I'm supposed to watch as they do their work independently. Two of the kids (the ones I've worked with before) are not real good at independent work. The other I don't know at all.

One of the kids has autism. Another is nicely enthusiastic if he likes you, and rabidly ambivalent if he doesn't. Both of the kids I know are easily frustrated, and one of them is destructive in his frustration. I expect a lot of screaming and headbutting. I hope I'm given host powers on zoom so I can mute the whole lot of them.

As for the actual school year, I work elementary. Since people are somehow convinced that kids that young aren't vectors for disease, it's gonna be completely in person. Kids don't have to wear masks. Half of them don't wash their hands. Kids from about third grade on down social distance the same way a pile of bearded dragons on a warm rock social distance.

District *was* talking about plexi cubicles for all students.

Half the teachers in our school are older or medically fragile in some way. If they opt to do online teaching, they aren't guaranteed to be working at the same school they've worked at most of their careers.

Aides and student attendants are fucked either way. If we go online, half of us won't be needed and will be laid off. If we're in person, half of us are medically fragile and will end up sick by Halloween.

No matter what, the principal has taken the district line that we're just going to end up closing the school a few times this year.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm not looking forward to the mess.
 

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
Map: 19 California counties on coronavirus watch list; restaurants ordered closed

Looks like all the counties around mine have had to "close down bars and indoor operations of restaurants, wineries, tasting rooms, movie theaters, zoos and museums.". But San Diego county? We're OPEN.

Which means people will be coming HERE for the 4th of July's 3day weekend. (good luck getting a hotel room, there aren't any left because hotels have scaled back!)

So, people travelling... to drink and party.... I bet by Thursday next week we're leading the state in new cases as a result.

And to make matters worse... fucking ORANGE COUNTY is within easy driving distance, and those jag-offs are probably gonna be leading the 'Super Spreader' brigade.

Dammit, I wish San Diego had a wall ALL THE WAY AROUND IT rather than just on the border with Mexico.
I'm all for the dome idea.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
The anti-maskers around here are out of control. They started getting more aggressive on my facebook wall in recent weeks, but I figure trolls gonna troll. Then a few days ago my 86 year old mother told a guy who was coughing up a lung at the local grocery store they should wear a mask. He flipped out on her. I wasn't there, and my mother has anxiety issues, so I can't get an objective account of what exactly happened. He did not strike her, but he threatened her enough that the grocery store offered to escort my mother to her car. She accepted. Then I see more news reports of people snatching masks off little old ladies faces. It seems to be a trend.

So these disease spreading maskless assholes want to get violent. Why? I looked into it...

The maskless read the regulations from the state and try to come up with technicalities for why they don't have to wear masks. Acute asthma and PTSD are exceptions to the 'regulations' (which have no enforcement mechanism), so they claim that they have these ailments, even if they don't, just to give them cover to be jack asses. One of the things the state keeps saying in press conferences and in documentation is to avoid confrontation with the maskless. The maskless read this as they can go maskless if they escalate every request to wear a mask into a confrontation. Then they think everybody has to back down to them.

I don't back down. In fact, I hope one of them takes a poke at me. They probably won't, because the cowards typically target little old ladies, but I do have a way with people sometimes. I'm pretty good at pulling aggro and soaking punches. I don't plan to fight, but I would gladly take a black eye in exchange for sending one of these maskless assholes to jail for assault or harassment (we don't have battery in PA).

I need a T-shirt that identifies me as a mask advocate, so they know who to come after. Something so short and simple even the illiterate maskless hillbillies can comprehend it. Maybe "WEAR A MASK" in big white block print on a black shirt? IDK.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
One of the things the state keeps saying in press conferences and in documentation is to avoid confrontation with the maskless. The maskless read this as they can go maskless if they escalate every request to wear a mask into a confrontation. Then they think everybody has to back down to them.

I don't back down. In fact, I hope one of them takes a poke at me. They probably won't, because the cowards typically target little old ladies, but I do have a way with people sometimes. I'm pretty good at pulling aggro and soaking punches. I don't plan to fight, but I would gladly take a black eye in exchange for sending one of these maskless assholes to jail for assault or harassment (we don't have battery in PA).
Yeah, but for the maskless asshole to get close enough to give you a black eye, he's also getting close enough to give you Covid-19 while he's doing it, which is potentially pretty bad news not only for you but for your aged mother, too, so maybe the advice to avoid confrontations with people not wearing masks is justified on the grounds of public health.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
Yeah, but for the maskless asshole to get close enough to give you a black eye, he's also getting close enough to give you Covid-19 while he's doing it, which is potentially pretty bad news not only for you but for your aged mother, too, so maybe the advice to avoid confrontations with people not wearing masks is justified on the grounds of public health.
Maybe. The best document I have on how corona spreads is written by an immunolgist. It says that it takes 1000 COVID19 particles to contract corona. That can theoretically take 5 minutes, but realilstically it takes more like 10 minutes. So I figure I have 5-10 minutes. If I can keep the confrontation below that, I'll be safe. It will give me more motivation to retreat to safety instead of retaliating once I've taken the damage I'm after.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Kalel

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
1,050
SL Rez
2002
Maybe. The best document I have on how corona is written by an immunolgist. It says that it takes 1000 COVID19 particles to contract corona. That can theoretically take 5 minutes, but realilstically it takes more like 10 minutes. So I figure I have 5-10 minutes. If I can keep the confrontation below that, I'll be safe. It will give me more motivation to retreat to safety instead of retaliating once I've taken the damage I'm after.
They are constantly changing their understanding of how the virus spreads. But, it is certain that when people are shouting, far more particles are being expelled than a normal situation. That's why choirs are such super spreaders. You'd be purposefully putting yourself into a situation where a lot of Covid could be flying around in the air.
 

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
1,616
Location
North of Surf City
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
27.05.2009
SLU Posts
5294

He was with Guilfoyle. Reported June 29.
Why, oh why, do none of these assholes get coronavirus? Only #SwampyDon is taking enormous precautions (test and retest, several times a day, all who enter the "Presence") so the rest must be protected by some protective nimbus of perdition that comes from the anti-Christ in the Oval Office. It really feels like an evangelistic wet-dream of the End Times.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Why, oh why, do none of these assholes get coronavirus? Only #SwampyDon is taking enormous precautions (test and retest, several times a day, all who enter the "Presence")
It's truly ironic how often he and his inner circle are likely tested, and Trump constantly declaring testing "isn't necessary."
 

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
I don't back down. In fact, I hope one of them takes a poke at me. They probably won't, because the cowards typically target little old ladies, but I do have a way with people sometimes. I'm pretty good at pulling aggro and soaking punches. I don't plan to fight, but I would gladly take a black eye in exchange for sending one of these maskless assholes to jail for assault or harassment (we don't have battery in PA).

I need a T-shirt that identifies me as a mask advocate, so they know who to come after. Something so short and simple even the illiterate maskless hillbillies can comprehend it. Maybe "WEAR A MASK" in big white block print on a black shirt? IDK.
I just ordered this:



I haven't run into anyone who yells at me for wearing a mask, though a dude I know got his panties in a bunch because he saw me parked with an N95 on my face.

Him: You shouldn't wear that while you're driving.
Me: I *just* put it on when you pulled along side.
Him: Well if you wear it while driving, you'll pass out and kill people
Me: I *Just* put it on when you showed up.
Him: Well, you shouldn't be wearing it while driving...

It was like the worst conversation with Mr. Magoo I've ever had.