How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
He is unspeakable.

Worth reading to the end, since it seems the rest of the world does have options if the worst comes to the worst.

ETA I assume it's to try to distract from this

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The Latest: Fauci: US Could Reach 100,000 New Cases a Day
Asked to forecast the outcome of recent surges in some states, Fauci said he can’t make an accurate prediction but believes it will be “very disturbing.”

“We are now having 40-plus-thousand new cases a day. I would not be surprised if we go up to to 100,000 a day if this does not turn around, and so I am very concerned,” said Fauci, infectious disease chief at the National Institutes of Health.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
One of many.

Tommy Macias, 51, attended a party about two weeks ago and began to show symptoms a week later.

He posted an impassioned message on Facebook on lamenting previously ignoring social distancing and mask-wearing recommendations and expressed guilt for exposing his family.

“Because of my stupidity I put my mom and sisters’ and my family’s health in jeopardy. This has been a very painful experience,” he wrote.

“Hopefully with God’s help, I’ll be able to survive this.”

Macias was dead less than two days later.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So they are under the impression that COVID-19 is some new version of Gremlin?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm going to burn everyone down if Halloween is cancelled this year.
Then they came for Halloween
And all the children rioted
Because of course they fucking did!

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
My oldest, dearest friend is on the staff of A&M University in College Station, Texas. Specifically, she works with the med students, and she and I were talking today about their reaction to entering a profession that is now on the front ranks of fighting the pandemic. She expected them to start reacting back in January... February.... March...

But no, it hasn't been until very recently that they finally started to realize this might affect them personally. A few have started asking "How are you going to protect us?" And apparently they're rather nonplussed by the answer: "As best we can, but it's dangerous work."

Her impression is that many of them come from privileged backgrounds and a childhood of overscheduled activities that didn't leave them time enough to really think things through. I wondered if they are so used to being protected from everything by their parents that it simply didn't occur to them that this cocoon would not be provided in adulthood. Regardless, however, it appears they are just now experiencing an epiphany. We're both curious to see where it takes them.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
My oldest, dearest friend is on the staff of A&M University in College Station, Texas. Specifically, she works with the med students, and she and I were talking today about their reaction to entering a profession that is now on the front ranks of fighting the pandemic. She expected them to start reacting back in January... February.... March...

But no, it hasn't been until very recently that they finally started to realize this might affect them personally. A few have started asking "How are you going to protect us?" And apparently they're rather nonplussed by the answer: "As best we can, but it's dangerous work."

Her impression is that many of them come from privileged backgrounds and a childhood of overscheduled activities that didn't leave them time enough to really think things through. I wondered if they are so used to being protected from everything by their parents that it simply didn't occur to them that this cocoon would not be provided in adulthood. Regardless, however, it appears they are just now experiencing an epiphany. We're both curious to see where it takes them.
Your friend's students might find this kind of article makes sobering reading

danielravennest

SLU Posts

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Your friend's students might find this kind of article makes sobering reading

I start Monday in a “red zone” geriatric section in the epicentre of Canada (there’s been 3or 4? deaths working the same position, i.e. in good health and relatively young) in our province. Obviously, I know the risk (reading all our posts here since the beginning :slu: ) but I’m also not going to waste my time fretting because I’m not sure how that will help. I’m also not going to read what you just posted, no offence ha ha.

Not sure if that makes me oblivious or an optimist, but I will say that I am quite certain there’s another wave coming soon and I prefer to continue counting on my “luck” than worry about what’s out of my control.

There have been so many deaths here in the elderly population, it’s sickening, some simply from dehydration (!!)ecause they were so unprepared - all the preparations were concentrated in general hospitals...

Anyway, TL;DR

I’m not scared because I can’t let mind go there. If I can help in any way (they’ve been through effing hell) I’ll feel like I will have, I don’t know, done something ok in my life. Even if it’s a teeny thing.

(And Isabeau never posted again.

“What happened to what’s-her-name?” They will ask. Dun dun dun...

Just kidding, ha )

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
The virus didn’t stop a Washington socialite from throwing a backyard soiree. Then the tests came back positive.
It is, of course, unclear how or when Bronczek contracted the virus and whom she may have passed it to, and there's no reason to believe she knew she had it. But within hours of the dinner, she began showing symptoms and was diagnosed shortly thereafter. Others who sat at her table are rumored to have also tested positive but did not return calls or declined to comment. Citing federal privacy laws, the ballet said that it cannot disclose any personal health information about any staff or artists.

The news spread among Bronczek’s friends, many of whom had attended the dinner or had children in her backyard summer camp. The kids had been part of an informal play group of wealthy families who interacted on a regular basis and spent a lot of time together. But the hostess was slow to share her diagnosis with her circle — fearful of the social fallout, according to some friends, as much as the virus. Eventually, she texted the news, and families rushed to get tested.

And that fallout has been unsparing — not just for hosting the party, but for failing to immediately notify anyone who may have been exposed to the virus.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU

This is concerning on so many levels. If it takes them this long to comprehend the personal ramifications of what has been headline news for months, how can they possibly hope to empathize with and treat patients the meet on a daily basis?

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
This is concerning on so many levels. If it takes them this long to comprehend the personal ramifications of what has been headline news for months, how can they possibly hope to empathize with and treat patients the meet on a daily basis?
Capacity for empathy would not be my first take-away from this situation. How well can they even function under high pressure if they're so divorced from understanding consequences? How many are going to drop out because they are not willing to take these risks? Better to leave now, but it really does make me wonder about the long-term effect of recruitment into the medical professions.