How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Welp. Trump accused the doctors and nurses in New York of stealing masks. Every time we think he can't get any lower, he limbos further into the muck.


Makes the point that, on hearing that doctors and nurses in New York were using up masks at so great a rate, most people would think of the severity of the crisis and of the courage and commitment of the medical staff..

The last thought that to occur to any normal human being would be, "they must be stealing them to re-sell them."

But that is the first thought that occurred to Donald Trump.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410


Makes the point that, on hearing that doctors and nurses in New York were using up masks at so great a rate, most people would think of the severity of the crisis and of the courage and commitment of the medical staff..

The last thought that to occur to any normal human being would be, "they must be stealing them to re-sell them."

But that is the first thought that occurred to Donald Trump.
Well, sure, because it is what he would do [does -the aid to all those other countries when we need stuff? ]
 

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
A parenthetical comment I made elsewhere about H.E.B. drew a strong response. I said: "H.E.B., a Texas grocery store chain, was busy preparing since January, but who did they share their info with? Probably thought of it as a competitive advantage."

My basic idea was that in a perfect world H.E.B. would have checked with other grocery chains even prior to January, back when Ebola first prompted their pandemic preparations. That's performing a public service and would have made for fabulous PR. [ETA: sharing best practices] Instead, I'm hearing about it just now.

Full disclosure, as a practical matter I don't go to H.E.B. (Certainly not now.) It's expensive, and the store layout forces you to spend more time there. And they are crowded anyway. I suspect their chief draw is their beef which I don't buy at any store. Maybe they lower its cost by raising other prices. Dunno. Still, that's all neither here nor there. I really dislike disingenuous PR news stories. If H.E.B. had done something that benefitted others (not really), it would be a different matter.

Chicken curry anyone? Canned chicken isn't too bad with enough cayenne, and I can order online!
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,395
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
9113
Don’t press play if you re not into seeing violence... the guy who punched (slapped?!) is an employee I think (apron). In better times, staff don’t always have much choice taking crap from customers. These are not those times. Treat store employees well...

I'm not one for violence but when it's something like this...

Donkey konged!
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Don’t press play if you re not into seeing violence... the guy who punched (slapped?!) is an employee I think (apron). In better times, staff don’t always have much choice taking crap from customers. These are not those times. Treat store employees well...

lol, pretty sure you can hear the guy's brain rattle after that little love tap
 

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
I used to have a case of these. No longer available.
I just checked where I last ordered Order Canned Meats Such as Pork, Poultry & Beef Online | Werling & Sons Inc

and they have a notice up "Due to current events we are temporarily not accepting online orders. Please check back at a later date as we will update as soon as we can."

I hope they return to online business soon. Other online sources have been out longer.

My fall back is beans and rice.

https://www.camelliabrand.com/shop-online/red-kidney-beans/
Rice.

These are 25 lb. bags.

I have been alternating between chicken curry and red beans and rice for main dishes. I have frozen sausage and add just enough to the red beans for some flavor. I also have some canned chili but that is wretched stuff.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
435
Location
居留守
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
15419
canned chili on bread (of any kind, pita, sliced white, naan, pizza crust etc etc) with cheese on top and then grilled makes it very acceptable.
any kind of retort curry (in that foil pouch thingie) is also amazing on bread with cheese and grilled.
mind you so is canned tuna haha...
anything on bread with grated cheese and then toasted is often good.. within reason of course.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Caliandris

New member
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
245
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2006?
The police here have been given powers to stop and fine people who aren't adhering to the rules. I thought people protesting about it were being a bit slow to understand the crisis, but they've been stopping people for... driving around because bored, and going out for non essential items to the supermarket. Neither of those are offences. You'd think that with 30% of staff self-isolating they'd have enough on their hands without making up offences.

I have been trying to persuade people locally to start making and wearing masks when out of the house, but I am getting a lot of pushback from those who believe the government when they say it is not in our interests to wear masks, and who think it is "pseudoscience" to suggest that wearing masks may help.

Online deliveries from supermarkets, which are a normal part of life in the UK, particularly in rural areas, have stalled altogether. It's not at all easy to get a delivery even if you are in the shielded group who aren't supposed to go out of your front door, or elderly. I am resorting to expensive local producers for meat, milks, eggs and cheese and vegetables, but paper goods, household cleaners, black sacks and shampoo etc are much harder to find.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Civil liberties and the emergency



 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Civil liberties and the emergency

I could see how that could be useful to see in general how far apart people are in a crowd. As for how far one individual is from others, typical cellphone gps is only accurate to 10 feet or so I think, so that wouldn't work.