How COVID-19 is affecting society

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
"Our leaders"

They've fucking had it, but can't mention Trump by name even once. Yeah...
To be fair, I don't use his name all that often at all, either. And well, it might be they prefer using the names I use, but don't want to come off as unprofessional, so....

ETA Also, for all he's the central agent of this mess, there are more that I find more culpable than Twitler... Moscow Mitch for one.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Target has told its Twin Cities corporate employees that the majority of them can expect to continue working virtually through at least June because of the continued threat of the coronavirus.

Target is the largest employer in downtown Minneapolis, with more than 8,500 workers in its corporate headquarters plus other offices.

“Wow. That’s a big knock on what I was hoping for in April,” said Antonio Gambino, owner of three Andrea Pizza stores in downtown Minneapolis, who estimates that as much as half of his business comes from Target workers.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,936
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
First world problem.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
Unprecedented numbers of cruise ships are going prematurely to the breakers' yards because of the pandemic.
Jobs... resources... so much better than sinking them. Let's hope that the materials find a better use than the flagrant wasteful extravagance of 'cruise ships'. The images of them being dismantled is weirdly kind of beautiful.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
This seems nuts.

Amidst plunging revenues due to the pandemic, Singapore Airlines is turning two of its Airbus A380 planes parked at Changi Airport into impromptu restaurants on October 24th and 25th, and it’s proved surprisingly popular. Bloomberg reports that all seats at the restaurants sold out within 30 minutes of bookings opening, as people rushed to recapture the excitement of balancing a tiny meal on an even tinier fold-down airline table.

I admit I normally quite like airplane food, but that’s probably because it’s something to focus my attention on beyond an endless series of films I was never interested enough in to see in the cinema. Singapore Airlines is selling four different tiers of meals according to Bloomberg, ranging from a meal in a suite for around $474, right down to an economy experience for the equivalent of $39. Around half the planes’ seats will be available for dining to allow for social distancing.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,256
SL Rez
2006
Maybe both a lack of effort and a lack of acceptance has hampered minority enrollment in Moderna vaccine trial?
Or maybe a shameful, criminal history of medically abusing minorities has led to an overwhelming lack of trust. The fact that you didn't consider that, or possibly even KNOW that history, speaks volumes about our society. The medical community should know better by now.
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
To be fair, I don't use his name all that often at all, either. And well, it might be they prefer using the names I use, but don't want to come off as unprofessional, so....

ETA Also, for all he's the central agent of this mess, there are more that I find more culpable than Twitler... Moscow Mitch for one.
I don't use whaziznames name either, for roughly the same reasons I don't use that Austrian signpainters' name who was big in the 30's and early 40's.
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
Jobs... resources... so much better than sinking them. Let's hope that the materials find a better use than the flagrant wasteful extravagance of 'cruise ships'. The images of them being dismantled is weirdly kind of beautiful.
There are plenty of videos about the ship breaking process. It is so very far from beautiful :(
 
Last edited:

Sovereignty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2020
Messages
754
SL Rez
2007
Or maybe a shameful, criminal history of medically abusing minorities has led to an overwhelming lack of trust. The fact that you didn't consider that, or possibly even KNOW that history, speaks volumes about our society. The medical community should know better by now.
I demand an apology. The reasons for the mistrust are mentioned [in] the STAT article.

I presented [i.e., linked to] the news reports. If you don't like them, take it up with the editors of STAT (or Reuters).