Hello. My name is Isabeau and I'm a Plantaholic.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Wow! I love green beans.

Jesus, you live in a giant terrarium... this week was the first above-zero-nights week. I've only put out some of my bigger cacti.

(On a side note, I wasn't 100% sure how to spell terrarium (terranium?) so looked it up and found this:

Terrarium or Vivarium

The first thing we’re going to say is, it’s a “terrarium,” not a “terranium.” In fact, there is no such word as “terranium” and it seems to be one of those mispronounced words like supposedly, not supposably, among dozens more that we’re all guilty of saying now and again…
If you need to call a terrarium something else, stick with “Vivarium.” Or if you get a kick out of driving the lady at your local nursery nuts, then stick with terranium. She’ll try to correct you but pretend you don’t hear her. ☺)

• 1LOL
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Isabeau

Merdeuse
My string of pearls.

I never steal clippings from stores. I've picked up some fallen leaves from the floor a few times, but I always ask the cashier if that's alright.

BUT...

Exactly one year ago, I was in the temporary garden area set up in the parking lot of a chain grocery store, and I saw a huge display pot of mixed succulents and plants that were half dying because they planted plants with different needs together AND were overwintering them since this really wasn't a nursery. I knew no one was going to buy it, was much too expensive, so they would probably toss it... excuses blah blah blah... justifications yadda yadda yadda...

So I snapped off a few tips and that is how I became a criminal plant gangster.

Anyhow, moving on...

One year apart:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
We bought a pair of redbuds and when we were planting them we discovered that someone had taken cuttings in the store or took cuttings and returned them.

They never did well, even through Mrs Argent has a glowing green thumb. We figure the cutting pirate transferred some kind of plant disease to them on whatever they used to cut them.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
How would you even know that? Maybe it was already diseased (fungus from being water logged) and employees just cut off limbs, or... so many other reasons. Young trees are fragile.

In any case, growing another tree from a cut off limb is nearly impossible but who knows, maybe a unknowledgeable piirate using a germy switchblade hidden in her purse just in case she wanted to cut off stems did do it.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
My wife used to work there and customers swiping cuttings in store or at home is totally a thing.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau and Rose Karuna

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Young trees are fragile.
I have several Magnolia trees around my property, and therefore get seedlings sprouting up on a regular basis. The ones I have given away to neighbors and friends have about a 50% survival rate. My untutored method is to dig up a chunk of soil about a foot square around the seedling.

Larger Magnolias are very resilient. One that had been cut down before I bought the house had re-sprouted a ring of saplings from the edges of the stump. It took me three more tries to kill it. It was too close to the house, so I didn't want it regrowing.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
In lighter news, Princess Margriet from the Netherlands will be attending Ottawa's annual tulip festival this week.

Margriet was born in Ottawa in 1943, at a time when the Dutch royal family was offered safe haven in the capital during the Second World War. Ever since, the tulips have symbolized the relationship between the two countries.

“Here at the festival site in Commissioners Park, we have the most concentration of stems,” says Riding. “We have 300,000 stems in the park over 26 beds. There’s about 140 different breeds of tulips.”

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Found a gift (from some appreciative sparrows?) in my feeder yesterday which I gratefully accepted and placed in water.

This morning, my "gift" seems to also be appreciative...

It's funny but last year, they left two seed pods(?) not sure what they are, and I planted them. Strange, as they are rather big for a sparrow to carry, and there were two! I know that the flower and pods aren't gifts, more likely nest building interrupted or food, but still...

Wonder if they'll take.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My Passion Fruit has finally decided to "fruit" and after 3 years of watching the vines grow, I find this:

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale I had this sad little (one stick) lemon tree that I was just going to leave behind but my neighbor talked me into throwing it into the moving van. This is that tree now, with lemons for the first time.

Last, this is my Jamaican Strawberry tree, which was totally brown and leafless after the frost. I cut it back and now, this:

Temperatures have been in the high 80's, up to the mid 90's and it's taking it's toll already because we haven't had enough rain. I'm really hoping for rain soon because despite the humidity, it will cool it down a bit. Right now, it's unbearable trying to work in the yard.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
It's amazing how much they'll take and, after changing environment or after bad temperatures, or even hacking them, they suddenly decide to sprout and shoot up.

Passion fruit and lemons! 🥰

I had to look up strawberry tree.

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So, are you guys like this?

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Though, that's probably more like Rose (garden).

Those who know me, know to ask about my plants when they come over (because they love me and not because they're that interested I'm sure.) Even my neighbours. One lady saw me at the grocery store eyeing a fern and said just walk away... there's no more room on your balcony ha