Elon f*cks Twitter

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,526
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
... Waiting on the bloody confirmation e-mail ...
Well I'm on a "time out" right now, with my profile only half- done. Going to be pretty slow for a while, I think. My email confirmation took about 10-15? minutes...
 

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
661
Location
Clinton, OH
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
1476
Well I'm on a "time out" right now, with my profile only half- done. Going to be pretty slow for a while, I think. My email confirmation took about 10-15? minutes...
Finally got it. Heh - setting things up now.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
661
Location
Clinton, OH
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
1476
Gah ... and now waiting on both a confirmation for being accepted into a fur community and the confirmation e-mail for that one ....
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
A quick primer on Mastadon for Twifugees:

Toot = Tweet

Boost = retweet

Hashtags work the same as in Twitter, but you can also put some hashtags in your profile so that you will show up when people search that hashtag even if you don't put it in every message you post necessarily.

The users of the Mastadon service are spread out over a number of individual but interconnected servers, called Instances. The largest Instance by far, with several hundred thousand accounts, is mastadon.social, but there are many other Instances (a few thousand different ones) with anything from tens of thousands to a couple dozen users, and anyone can host their own Instance if they're willing to pay the typical costs of hosting a server. Instances can be just general or they can be kind of based on a certain thing, like a broad interest category (i.e., "technology" or "gaming") or a geographic area. But regardless of what Instance your account is on, you can still see and find and follow users and toots from other Instances because Instances are all connected to each other, kind of like the hypergrid (it's called the "Fediverse"). Of course, if a particular Instance is known to be full of spam, toxic users, or whatnot, the admin(s) of other Instances can either shadow-ban or completely disable communication to and from the problem Instance and their own if they want. And obvs users can individually block anyone they want, too.

Apparently you CAN migrate or link an account (meaning mostly your followed and follower list) from one instance to another, although sadly for Free I think both Instances have to be up and running for you to do this (most give some forewarning if they intend to shut down, to allow users time to do this).

On your Mastodon page sidebar you will see (among other more intuitive things) Home, Local, and Federated links. It SEEMS to be the case that Home shows you a feed from the accounts you follow, Local shows you a feed limited to your particular instance, and Federated shows you a feed from the entire network. You probably wouldn't notice any real big difference in the content between your Local and Federated feeds if you belonged to say mastadon.social, but if your account was on another smaller instance like masthead.social which is a journalism-centric instance that only has about 13k users, your Local feed will just show people who belong to that instance, presumably talking mostly about journalism type stuff. So you could think of these three as kind of "levels" of filtering.

Because of tech magic, there's also allegedly a video-hosting service and a photosharing service that are not part of Mastodon but ARE part of the Fediverse and can interconnect with Mastodon, but I haven't researched that part very much yet.
Mastodon sounds a little too convoluted for me.

I will never understand why people (mostly men in my experience) want to complicate things that don't need to be complicated.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Virrginia Tombola

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
Mastodon sounds a little too convoluted for me.

I will never understand why people (mostly men in my experience) want to complicate things that don't need to be complicated.
Yeah, I used mastadon a few years ago. It was allright, but I don't really understand federating. The platform did seem overrun by techie types who love to overcomplicate things. People in VVO are not technical light weights, but even we have problems with the mastadon learning curve. It's worse than google circles. Imagine normal people trying to use mastadon.

... oh wait... wait, yeah, now I see it... normal people can't use it, and that's what makes it good...

BRB, I'm off to dig up my old mastadon account.
 

Cali Souther

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2022
Messages
22
This guy makes some great points:


David Rothkopf
@djrothkopf
The richest guy on the 2021 Forbes 400 owns the Washington Post. Number 2 now owns Twitter. Number 3 owns Facebook. Numbers 5 and 6 started Google. Numbers 4 and 9 started Microsoft. Number 10 owns Bloomberg. Free speech? You decide.

Combine this w/the Citizens United formula that money equals speech & so those w/the most money are entitled to the most speech, lack of campaign finance regulation & pols who depend on $ to hold power & you've got a country sinking ever deeper into the quicksand of corruption.
David Rothkopf

So, if you're just an average American who thinks somehow Musk or some other billionaire is going to enhance the voice of the little guy on the Internet, you are a hopeless sucker who's not paying attention.

And if you think that the trend toward control of public forums by billionaires is not linked to growing inequality and will not produce more of it, more division, more reshaping the narrative to suit those holding the purse strings, you deserve what's coming.


That said, the rest of us don't. We deserve better. And the place that starts is to set basic rules for public forums as we have in media for years--from truth in advertising to libel laws to the late lamented Fairness Doctrine.


Clearly, one of the great looming public policy challenges is going to be creating next generation regulations that protect society from hate, division, disinformation and corruption. Musk's purchase of Twitter only makes that more urgently needed.

To conclude, the right v. left politics of the media is just a distraction that draws attention away from the rich vs. poor and especially the super-rich vs. everyone else dynamic that really drives our politics.
 

Cali Souther

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2022
Messages
22
I actually "like" Elon Musk, I just don't trust the uber rich to do much for the average person. I hope he proves the skeptics wrong. :)
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,457
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
You want a fun indicator for Twitter. I went to do an export archive of Tweets yesterday, it wanted to verify with SMS.

The SMS took like 12 hours to arrive.

I am not sure what it means, but I am wondering if its overloaded.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Cali Souther

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,975
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Mastodon sounds a little too convoluted for me.

I will never understand why people (mostly men in my experience) want to complicate things that don't need to be complicated.
In Mastodon's case it's to share the cost and infrastructure burden so it doesn't become overwhelming, and also so that no one company, or group of admins can control or set the policy for the entire service. In a way it has to be a little convoluted, in order to prevent what just happened to Twitter from happening to it.


Mastodon isn't a "company" that owns and runs their service, like Twitter. Mastodon is the open-source software that the social network runs on. Individual servers are like opensim grids - you make an account for a particular grid, but once you have it you can go anywhere on the hypergrid that you want.
 
Last edited:

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
In Mastodon's case it's to share the cost and infrastructure burden so it doesn't become overwhelming, and also so that no one company, or group of admins can control or set the policy for the entire service.

Mastodon isn't a "company" that owns and runs their service, like Twitter. Mastodon is the open-source software that the social network runs on. Individual servers are like opensim grids - you make an account for a particular grid, but once you have it you can go anywhere on the hypergrid that you want.
I'm not on Opensim or any hypergrid. I hardly log in to SL these days.

I appreciate the information, but it has no bearing on what works for me and what doesn't. The more "hoops" I have to "jump through" the less appealing it is.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Mastodon isn't a "company" that owns and runs their service, like Twitter. Mastodon is the open-source software that the social network runs on. Individual servers are like opensim grids - you make an account for a particular grid, but once you have it you can go anywhere on the hypergrid that you want.
Vaguely like usenet.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,975
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
So on Mastodon.

Anyone have a mastodon.social account? I have a second account there and it does not show anything on the local or fedeerated feeds. My account (linked above) on mastodon.lol does show feeds.

This is on two different apps.

Mostly I am trying to figure out if it is just me or if they turned off the feeds due to all the new people breaking it.
I'm on mastodon.social and whenever I check the local or federated fields they are initially empty but posts begin to appear after a few seconds.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Noodles

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
I know of a number of attempts at forming "true free speech" platforms and they all fail.... if nothing else, being overrun with literal neo nazies and pedophiles will scary away all the normal users....
Where the hell have you been? Pedophiles already run rampant on Twitter. They like to bill themselves out as "Minor Attracted Persons." Talking about what you want to do to the cute five year old next door doesn't get you a Twitter ban. I know this because about 30 of my closest friends and I all reported that account to Twitter, and they answered us that it didn't violate their community standards. But, saying pedophiles should be put to death - that will get you put in the penalty box for hateful conduct.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,877
SL Rez
2007
Where the hell have you been? Pedophiles already run rampant on Twitter. They like to bill themselves out as "Minor Attracted Persons." Talking about what you want to do to the cute five year old next door doesn't get you a Twitter ban. I know this because about 30 of my closest friends and I all reported that account to Twitter, and they answered us that it didn't violate their community standards. But, saying pedophiles should be put to death - that will get you put in the penalty box for hateful conduct.
WOOOW... and I don't use twitter, so I wouldn't know. I just know they at least maintain the pretense of moderation.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,686
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Currently, Musk is locked in a contract with Twitter and if he changes his mind about dissolving the agreement then there will be a penalty of USD 1 Billion. According to the agreement, both the parties have also agreed to certain rules of behavior for a period of time before the deal closes. Nevertheless, it seems that Musk has already broken some rules.

The agreement suggests that “ Investor shall be permitted to issue Tweets about the Merger or the transactions contemplated hereby so long as such Tweets do not disparage the company or any of its representatives.”

The agreement was done on April 25 and the next day Musk shared a tweet that might be considered disparaging comments to the employees of Twitter.

The tweet in question?

 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009



The tweet in question?

The article: