Dems Need To Learn From the UK Election to UNITE under one message: GET HIM OUT!

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
While we are spinning conspiracy theories ( which is what you are doing in your I can tell you exactly how Russia is attempting to help Sanders, even as the Intelligence agencies admit they don't know how. You do.), let's spin this one: Could your Russia conspiracy theory be used as justification to overturn the will of primary voters? You gotta admit it's convenient.
Bloomberg certainly jumped right on it.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
It's not necessarily complacency. It's more about responding proportionately to spam accounts that don't pass the Turin test.

I think if a bot was ever sophisticated enough to abuse me, I'd be more impressed than distressed.
But like Innula's second link points out, "bots" aren't the only thing Russia uses; they also use very human paid trolls.

In 2016, an actual well-attended street protest was organized and promoted entirely by Russian trolls pretending to be an American local political interest group. That was just one example of Russia's campaign of political interference that year, particularly via Facebook, that came to light afterwards. Turin tests wouldn't have helped anyone avoid falling for that.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I really really really hope that this isn't to defend the Russian turtle.
"More than 3.4 million Kentuckians are now registered, marking a new high for the state. In his statement, Adams encouraged "every eligible person who is not registered to vote to do so by April 20, the last day to register to vote in the May 19 primary. According to the Kentucky Secretary of State's Office, 48% of Kentucky voters are registered as Democrats, 43% are Republicans, and 9% are "listed under other affiliations."

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Could your Russia conspiracy theory be used as justification to overturn the will of primary voters? You gotta admit it's convenient.
On what possible grounds could it be used to overturn the result of a primary election poll, assuming the poll was carried out in accordance with the Democratic Party's rulebook?

People (or bots) telling lies about candidates on Twitter and Facebook is not the same as people interfering in process of casting and counting votes, after all.

Ishina

SL Rez
But like Innula's second link points out, "bots" aren't the only thing Russia uses; they also use very human paid trolls.

In 2016, an actual well-attended street protest was organized and promoted entirely by Russian trolls pretending to be an American local political interest group. That was just one example of Russia's campaign of political interference that year, particularly via Facebook, that came to light afterwards. Turin tests wouldn't have helped anyone avoid falling for that.
I understand that bots and shills exist. I'm just not convinced about how significant their numbers are or how much of a threat they pose in the scheme of things.

I'd be more concerned with cyber warfare, buying and selling ambassadorships and access, crooked patronage of candidates in all levels of government, buying higher tier endorsements, bent business and philanthropy, and so on.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I understand that bots and shills exist. I'm just not convinced about how significant their numbers are or how much of a threat they pose in the scheme of things.

I'd be more concerned with cyber warfare, buying and selling ambassadorships and access, crooked patronage of candidates in all levels of government, buying higher tier endorsements, bent business and philanthropy, and so on.
You do realize that the government official who reported this to Congress did it at the cost of his own job? He didn't do it because it was a minor thing.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Acting Director of National Intelligence Adm. Joseph Maguire and his aide.

Bernie knows this stuff is happening. He attended the senate hearing. He's condemned it. Russia is trying to tear us apart and also to make Bernie's election look illegitimate if he wins.

Why President Donald Trump Fired Joseph Maguire
Trump angry after House briefed on Russia meddling in 2020 election on his behalf

Just to add to this, the report isn't even the scariest thing about this. We aren't just in danger of losing the rule of law anymore. Trump is actively and openly firing anyone who tries to preserve it or tell the truth.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Electronic voting...

Ishina

SL Rez
Acting Director of National Intelligence Adm. Joseph Maguire and his aide.

Bernie knows this stuff is happening. He attended the senate hearing. He's condemned it. Russia is trying to tear us apart and also to make Bernie's election look illegitimate if he wins.

Why President Donald Trump Fired Joseph Maguire
Trump angry after House briefed on Russia meddling in 2020 election on his behalf

Just to add to this, the report isn't even the scariest thing about this. We aren't just in danger of losing the rule of law anymore. Trump is actively and openly firing anyone who tries to preserve it or tell the truth.
I think we are talking past each other. I'm not disputing Russia interferes with American politics. I am absolutely sure that their influence goes deep into the politics and buisness of other nations, and that their methods are sophisticated. I'm not stupid.

What I'm talking about is the more specific subject of social media activity. My argument isn't even that social media is not used by Russia to meddle. Only that social media is just the small tip of a massive iceberg, and that I can't be too concerned by it since I personally find it so easy to navigate and since there are other, bigger, more dangerous and more pressing concerns when it comes to the subject of election corruption.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
And it wasn't a close race this time; Sanders won more than twice the votes the runner-up got - who, bizarrely, was Biden this time round.

• 1Like

Zaida Gearbox

Hubman had MSNBC this morning - until I confiscated the remote and turned it off - and they were having a complete and total meltdown over this Russian interference and other stuff Trump has done. It wasn't even a passing attempt at unbiased news reporting. It was total OMG the sky is falling - we can't wait for the election - we have to get him out now! It seemed like they did every thing just short of asking someone to take extreme measures to remove Trump.

I though the Republicans acted like spoiled children having a temper tantrum the entire time Obama was president, but holy shit, I've never seen anything like that on a supposed news show before.

I have to admit I enjoyed Bernie's speech tonight. I'm not sure he can get me out of my third party tent, but I'd at least think about it....

• 1Like
Reactions: Cristalle

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I confiscated the remote and turned it off - and they were having a complete and total meltdown over this Russian interference and other stuff Trump has done. It wasn't even a passing attempt at unbiased news reporting. It was total OMG the sky is falling - we can't wait for the election - we have to get him out now! It seemed like they did every thing just short of asking someone to take extreme measures to remove Trump.

I though the Republicans acted like spoiled children having a temper tantrum the entire time Obama was president, but holy shit, I've never seen anything like that on a supposed news show before.
So everything Trump has done and said is ok? I can't imagine any human with a conscience not feeling this way...

• 1Agree

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Most non-Fox News networks are kinda sorta left-leaning generally; but MSNBC is like the leftward version of Fox News, inasmuch as they lean so far that they've done fallen over and lost touch with reality. Other networks are much more balanced by comparison.