Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I agree, Eunoli, except democracy has already been in danger, Twitler and the GOP are just symptoms. That's why to me, its as important to not elect a corporate owned democrat, as it is to get the GOP out of power. The only real difference is that with one we get to keep the trappings of a democracy while being an oligarchy [which we already are], or not.
Good reason to hope Warren has a big say in the ticket and platform, if not the nomination.

That said, I cannot agree that it is /as/ important to get a non-corporate owned candidate into office. It is very important, but not as important as stopping someone who has proven they are very willing to crush the constitution so that we never get that chance again. The corporate owned candidates at least work within the framework of the constitution and an alert and active public can and have pressured them to make things better in the past (albeit slowly and painfully). They won't ignore the law without consequence. That matters.

Please don't sit this one out if the Dems nominate someone status quo. I see that as a step toward the next election where we can work for deeper change. I see another Trump victory as making it unlikely we'll have another free election to do that in.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
The USA is not a democracy. Hasn't been in a while. President Carter and others have been calling it an oligarchy.

The USA is an oil company with an army. We are killing, starving and displacing millions of people all over the world. We are controlled by propaganda. For half the country (and growing) we are living an economic and political dystopia. We are reverting to third-world status. We submit to intelligence agencies and ridicule people who ask questions. We jail whistleblowers and cheer that on as a victory. Both our political parties are right of center. Dissent and protest are being criminalized.

There is so much more wrong with the USA than Trump. Trump isn't even very good at being a villain. He's powerless except for the Republicans in congress. He's constantly being rebuked by the courts. We wasted two years investigating a CIA fairy tale, while what Trump is actually afraid of is a look into his financial crimes.

And do I have to remind you that the last person you asked me to vote for wanted Trump as her opponent?

Biden's candidacy isn't about defeating Trump. It's about defeating Sanders. He and the DNC and the media are willing to lose to Trump in order to defeat Sanders. We are so fucked.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
We wasted two years investigating a CIA fairy tale, while what Trump is actually afraid of is a look into his financial crimes.

Biden's candidacy isn't about defeating Trump. It's about defeating Sanders. He and the DNC and the media are willing to lose to Trump in order to defeat Sanders. We are so fucked.
I half agree with what you wrote but do you really think the Mueller investigation was just a CIA fairytale?
There are Democrats who seem rather more leftist than Bernie. Do you think they are wasting their time working within the party?

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Actually, the more anti-establishment they are the more I would be interested in hearing about them. Right now we have an administration that started out thumbing its nose at norms and right now is ignoring subpoenas and pretty clear laws. What will they be doing next? Delaying the national elections?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Surely Beto is a parmesan?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I half agree with what you wrote but do you really think the Mueller investigation was just a CIA fairytale?
There are Democrats who seem rather more leftist than Bernie. Do you think they are wasting their time working within the party?
Exactly, it is a WTF issue. People say 'they are not REALLY Democrats' .... yet at the same time they are happy for progressives, whether they are declared as a D or an I, to raise money for Ds, vote with them, and do work for the party.

• 1Agree

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Marianne Williamson has made the donations threshold to make the debates.

How does this happen when last I checked Julian Castro was still struggling to get enough? Screw her. She's 2020's version of Jill Stein. I'd be taking a close look at where those donations came from.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
How does this happen when last I checked Julian Castro was still struggling to get enough? Screw her. She's 2020's version of Jill Stein. I'd be taking a close look at where those donations came from.
He just made it. Julián Castro qualifies for Democratic debates

ETA: Marianne is a very successful celebrity author in her own right, there is no reason to doubt that she could make it.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
He just made it. Julián Castro qualifies for Democratic debates

ETA: Marianne is a very successful celebrity author in her own right, there is no reason to doubt that she could make it.
Thanks on the info about Castro.

Right...about her being a successful celebrity author. Big NO. YUGE NO. FUCK NO. Everybody and their uncle thinks they are fit to be President these days.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Thanks on the info about Castro.

Right...about her being a successful celebrity author. Big NO. YUGE NO. FUCK NO. Everybody and their uncle thinks they are fit to be President these days.
Have you seen any of her interviews? I think you'd be surprised at how good she is. That said, she is not my choice, but I think she will bring something different to the debates.

• 1Thanks

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Actually? I find anti-depressants harmful for me - maybe not my depression, but being unable to feel anything, including happy, and being unable to create is its own hell. But I'm not going to form my opinion of her on a single tweet. Also, authors are just as intelligent [or not] as anyone else, or is it 'celebrity' that makes someone suddenly unfit. I mean, in a way, all politicians are 'celebrity' or else they wouldn't really stand a chance in the elections.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer
Status
Not open for further replies.