Covid-19 vaccine thread

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I refuse to panic.
My brother told me early on that they'd be able to tweak the vaccines very quickly if needed(at lady the mRNA ones. This was before the others). So I'll need another booster.
The depressing part is it seems like will never be rid of it when we read these things.
The BBC quote a scientist as saying it's "bad news but not doomsday"


I guess I'd been telling myself that I'm not going to decide anything about the pandemic being over or not until next spring, so from that perspective, there's little more I can do other than what I'd been intending to do anyway, and hope for the best.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
A few things: Wolfeyes? I know the feeling, but we see you *hugs*

I'd say I was surprised, but I'm not - and not even surprised there are mutations to the protein.

Saw an article this week talking about how the flu pandemic is the longest one in modern history [or something like], but they might finally have a omnivaccine for it. And that kind of helped put it into perspective for me.

Still really wish that I wasn't going on a cruise with this news though.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
A few things: Wolfeyes? I know the feeling, but we see you *hugs*

I'd say I was surprised, but I'm not - and not even surprised there are mutations to the protein.

Saw an article this week talking about how the flu pandemic is the longest one in modern history [or something like], but they might finally have a omnivaccine for it. And that kind of helped put it into perspective for me.

Still really wish that I wasn't going on a cruise with this news though.
Thank you. Without you, all of you, I'd probably be in a padded cell by now. :hearts:

When do you leave? I'll do my best to keep you in my thoughts to help keep you safe.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
A very powerful and angry piece by palliative care doctor


Evernote link
I almost couldn't get beyond this:
Some 75 per cent of those suffocating in intensive care with the coronavirus are unvaccinated
That means some 25% are vaccinated and still end up suffocating in intensive care.
😨😨😨😨😨😨
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
I almost couldn't get beyond this:

That means some 25% are vaccinated and still end up suffocating in intensive care.
😨😨😨😨😨😨



This is the situation in NL. On the left people who are vaccinated (over 80%) on the right people who are non vaccinated.
The colored dots are the ones that need to be hospitalized.
This way you can see, that you have far better chances not to get hospitalized when you are vaccinated, although they make up about 40% of the ones in hospital.
For ICU care the figures are even far better for the vaccinated.
Most vaccinated people who end up in hospital have underlying health problems as well as covid 19.
 
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I almost couldn't get beyond this:

That means some 25% are vaccinated and still end up suffocating in intensive care.
😨😨😨😨😨😨
Yes, but they're almost certainly a lot older, and in poorer health generally, than the other 75%.


Evernote link

There's no guarantees about vaccines, I think, but they do stack the odds very considerably in your favour.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
Yes, but they're almost certainly a lot older, and in poorer health generally, than the other 75%.


Evernote link

There's no guarantees about vaccines, I think, but they do stack the odds very considerably in your favour.
People also die in car accidents while wearing seat belts. Just less often than people who don't wear seat belts. Nothing is perfect.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Evernote link

John had a raging temperature and difficulty breathing. Doctors put him on a Cpap machine, to assist his breathing, and swathed him in cooling blankets. On 4 July, John was up all night vomiting blood. He sent Jonathan a voice note the next morning.

“It is the worst voice note I have ever heard in my life,” says Jonathan. “I burst out crying halfway through it.” The voice note is a minute and a half long. In that time, John speaks about 12 words. “I will never send it to anyone, but if anyone questioned whether Covid is real, I would play it to them,” says Jonathan. “It is the worst thing in the world. I can hear the fear in him. He is literally gasping for air. This is someone I knew who could run 10k or climb a mountain without struggling.”
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,256
SL Rez
2006
The tragedies just keep mounting. Last night I was reading another entry in the Herman Cain Awards reddit. A middle-aged couple had "vigorously debated" the vaccine with their daughter, a medical technician. She pleaded, she argued, she begged for them to get vaccinated, but they refused to budge. They trusted their friend's circle more than her education and training.

What lifted this story above the standard drone of deaths on HCA was that although they adamantly disagreed with their daughter, they also very sweetly told her how much they loved her, how proud they were of her and her independent spirit. Then they both caught covid. Her mother died and her father was hospitalized in ICU for several weeks. By that time he was admitting he was sorry and that he should have listened to her and gotten the vaccine.

Oh well.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,936
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
My third Moderna was pretty weaksauce compared to the first two. Apparently it's a half-dose.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
My third Moderna was pretty weaksauce compared to the first two. Apparently it's a half-dose.
It doesn't need to be full strength to do the job. Your immune system has two parts. The first produces antibodies right away to fight an infection. Those fade with time. The second are "memory cells" that remember previous infections, so you can respond faster if it comes back again. The booster reminds your memory cells that "hey this disease is still around". So not only does it improve the response of the memory cells, they are prompted to make variant antibodies that can respond to a variant virus.

That's why it has been reported that people with prior infection by other coronaviruses (which includes the common cold) do better against COVID if they get it - their system has already been primed to react to similar infections.
 
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Beebo Brink

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
That's why it has been reported that people with prior infection by other coronaviruses (which includes the common cold) do better against COVID if they get it - their system has already been primed to react to similar infections.
How is that determined? I mean, if it's not people with prior infection by other specific and quite unusual coronaviruses, how can you make a comparison between the two groups (primed and not primed), and how do you know what you're looking for?