Covid-19 vaccine thread

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
My wife got J&J and got the Moderna booster and it kicked her butt.

I got Moderna and I think I'll wait for J&J booster.
My advice is to make your choice based on your level of risk. Both mRNA vaccines are more effective than the J&J which is made differently. Being immunocompromised myself, I wanted the highest level of antibodies that I could get.
Did your wife get the full dose for a booster? Because I think they're giving half doses now, at least here, and that shouldn't hit as hard. They were talking about doing that when I got mine, I just wanted to get it over with.
My brother got Moderna, and he didn't get much reaction at all any of the times. Go figure.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
The Supreme Court finally decides that the religious right asked it for too much (msn.com)

The Supreme Court handed down a brief order Friday evening — it is literally just one sentence long — denying relief to a group of Maine health care workers who object to the Covid-19 vaccine on religious grounds. This means that nearly all workers in health care facilities licensed by the state must be vaccinated in order to keep their jobs.

Yet, while this order, which is also accompanied by a one-paragraph concurring opinion by Justice Amy Coney Barrett and a longer dissent by Justice Neil Gorsuch, is quite brief, it is significant because it suggests that there may be some limit to the conservative majority’s solicitude for religious conservatives.

Earlier in the pandemic, the Court handed down a pair of decisions that revolutionized its approach to religious liberty cases and granted churches and other houses of worship broad exemptions from public health orders intended to control the spread of Covid-19. The Court’s Friday evening decision in Does v. Mills, by contrast, appears to have been decided on the narrowest possible grounds. Though it is a loss for the religious right, it is not an especially significant one.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,899
SL Rez
2007
My advice is to make your choice based on your level of risk. Both mRNA vaccines are more effective than the J&J which is made differently. Being immunocompromised myself, I wanted the highest level of antibodies that I could get.
Did your wife get the full dose for a booster? Because I think they're giving half doses now, at least here, and that shouldn't hit as hard. They were talking about doing that when I got mine, I just wanted to get it over with.
My brother got Moderna, and he didn't get much reaction at all any of the times. Go figure.
J&J has said that a second shot 6 months later gives a 9 fold increase in antibodies from what just the one dose does... so I wonder if it's not that it's less effective, it's that it was only one shot. I think 2 shots of J&J is likely good enough which is why I would have gotten it if it was offered.. but anyway, here I am, mixing and matching.

...I'm a bit worried about my reaction... My left shoulder that got a flu shot feels fine, but my right shoulder that took the Pfizer is getting pretty sore.... hopefully I feel fine tomorrow....
 

Ashiri

√(-1)
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
936
Location
RL: NZ
SL Rez
2007
SLU Posts
-1
Last weekend I visited my parents and our various reactions to the second Pfizer jab was discussed. My parents had no noticeable reaction apart from localised soreness, I felt unwell for a couple of days, but my nephew had the worst reaction.
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
Wales is doing much as I anticipated for the booster recall... Today my wife and I got our invitations for booster shots. Location and time were both clearly stated, but the field for the date on which we're supposed to attend was completely blank.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,944
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
My advice is to make your choice based on your level of risk. Both mRNA vaccines are more effective than the J&J which is made differently. Being immunocompromised myself, I wanted the highest level of antibodies that I could get.
I'm not concerned about side effects, my actual COVID infection before the vaccine was mild, and I didn't have much reaction to Moderna... just felt achey and fatigued for part of the next day.

Effectiveness seems related to how much active material the vaccine contains, and Moderna has 3x Pfizer which still has more than J&J.

They also have slight differences in the proteins that are presented (they use different stabilizing modifications of the spike proteins), so a mix of vaccines should give you slightly broader immunity.

Which means I should probably go with the booster that's most unlike the original shots. That would probably be Sinovac but that's not available in the US.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,899
SL Rez
2007
...I'm a bit worried about my reaction... My left shoulder that got a flu shot feels fine, but my right shoulder that took the Pfizer is getting pretty sore.... hopefully I feel fine tomorrow....
Update... I'm not as sick as I was worried I'd be.... I tossed and turned a lot last night and my shoulder still hurts, but nothing too bad. I'd say it is just slightly worse than my reaction to my first J&J shot. I took two Aleve last night since that's what I had on hand. That might be holding down the pain and maybe a fever if I hadn't taken it.
 
Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
I'm not concerned about side effects, my actual COVID infection before the vaccine was mild, and I didn't have much reaction to Moderna... just felt achey and fatigued for part of the next day.

Effectiveness seems related to how much active material the vaccine contains, and Moderna has 3x Pfizer which still has more than J&J.

They also have slight differences in the proteins that are presented (they use different stabilizing modifications of the spike proteins), so a mix of vaccines should give you slightly broader immunity.

Which means I should probably go with the booster that's most unlike the original shots. That would probably be Sinovac but that's not available in the US.
It's not just the amount of antibodies, it's how the vaccines are made. Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines, J&J is not. It's an older methodology, using(IIRC) monkey DNA. I haven't heard anything about this line of reasoning or the J&J being preferable in any way except being a one -dose (at least initially) instead of two -dose vaccine.
If I had wanted to get a different vaccine for a booster (they were still discussing the idea when I went) I'd have gone for Pfizer. Different, but still MRNA.
But I'm immunocompromised, so I'm taking no chances.
I also, fortunately, have my brother to help me cut through the noise and conflicting info.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,944
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
It's not just the amount of antibodies, it's how the vaccines are made. Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines, J&J is not. It's an older methodology, using(IIRC) monkey DNA.
J&J is an adenovirus vaccine using human embryonic retinal cells as the base.
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010

I refused to watch the Fantastic Four remake, so I had no idea who this guy was; had to look him up (I'm even more glad that I skipped that flop now).
He was trending when I checked Twitter because football fans are pissed that his football player and fellow anti-vaxxer buddy Aaron Rodgers has COVID now.
Play stupid games....