WTF Climate Change News

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
This fear of the invading hordes of The Other is going to be a major driver of political instability this century, but in the US -- given its size -- the divisions will grow to regional borders, not just immigrants from other countries. The Southwest will probably depopulate first.
 

Archer

Not a Robot
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
710
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2007
I've started including that in my arguments to folks who are vehemently anti immigration. I basically tell them to remember that stance when it's you who want to move to another area and they've made it almost impossible. Regionality is coming in the NEAR future.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,089
SL Rez
2002
No matter how dire the news, there's still no meaningful global response. I'm not convinced that humans, as a species, are even capable of reaching a consensus on any issue, no matter how urgent. Which means organizing in concert to act on it is a moot point.
Sometimes I really wonder how the impact would have been for the planet if the recent pandemic would be much more deadly, and kill let's say 1/3 of the global population. Personally it would be tragic but probably quite good for the planet.

I mean when the pest was running havoc up to 50% of Europe's population died due to that. But science also was blind back then, that's the issue.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
Sometimes I really wonder how the impact would have been for the planet if the recent pandemic would be much more deadly, and kill let's say 1/3 of the global population. Personally it would be tragic but probably quite good for the planet.
Or would it just postpone the inevitable? It took a few centuries, but population rebounded despite the devastating plague losses. We're now at an all time high of 7.5 billion post-pestilence.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
The year I was born the world pop was 2,979,576,185.

In 1969 the world pop was 3,625,680,627. I was 10.

At age 20 (1979) - 4,380,506,100.

Age 40 (1999) - 6,064,239,055.

In 2019 when I turned 60 - 7,713,468,100.

In my lifetime alone the pop has increased over 4 billion. That is half a century. Not the centuries it took to rebuild from the plague.


ETA: The generation being blamed for this, the so called Boomers, aren't the ones to blame. Take a close look at the percentages (Yearly Change) as they rise and fall over time. Look at the years those percentages go up and the amount then look at the years the percentages decrease. It's been happening the whole time, not just recently.
 
Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,367
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I don't run a car, haven't flown in over 20 years and switched a couple of years ago to a predominantly flexitarian diet, with meat as in ingredient in a predominantly bean or vegetable soup (I have problems swallowing many solid foods after medical treatment) because that seemed a painless way of reducing my carbon footprint. Nor do I eat much cake, come to that.

So I'm damn well keeping my coffee. And my Pret croissants.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,885
SL Rez
2007
I don't run a car, haven't flown in over 20 years and switched a couple of years ago to a predominantly flexitarian diet, with meat as in ingredient in a predominantly bean or vegetable soup (I have problems swallowing many solid foods after medical treatment) because that seemed a painless way of reducing my carbon footprint. Nor do I eat much cake, come to that.

So I'm damn well keeping my coffee. And my Pret croissants.
LOL, I'd say my thoughts are similar. I grew up thinking every meal had to have meat in it but now eat much less of it. I barely drive anywhere and only fly when dragged somewhere... I also know some libertarian wackos who convinced themselves that meat is better for the environment... I think they are not so much stupid as contrarian to the point of insanity.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
Climate change is a super complex issue, but I found this video helpful.
Thanks! That really was one of the best videos I've seen for outlining the multiple sources of climate change and the challenges of mitigating its effects. Each viewer is free to take away their own prediction of how this is going to work out for us (mine is, of course, that we're obviously doomed).
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,703
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
"We're talking about the early 1900s, and by then we've already been supercharging the atmosphere with carbon dioxide," he said. "It is possible that the Arctic Ocean is more sensitive to greenhouse gases than previously thought. This will require more research, of course, because we don't have a solid grip on the actual mechanisms behind this early Atlantification."
"When I talk to my students I always try to make them aware that the Arctic is warming very, very quickly, and much faster than any other area on the planet," Muschitiello said. "It's very unsettling and very troubling, especially because we still don't have a full understanding of feedbacks at play."

"We're still slowly getting to know how the whole system works," he said. "And my fear is that by the time that we do crack the problem, it's going to be too late."
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Evernote link

Think of an electric car and the first name that comes to mind will probably be Tesla. The California company makes the world’s bestselling electric car and was recently valued at $1tn. But behind this US success story is a tale of China’s manufacturing might.
Also


Evernote link
In the last 15 years, Chinese companies have begun to enter the mining business, buying out North American and European companies so that they now control the majority of the cobalt and copper mines in southern DRC. And with this change, Congolese workers say, has come abuse, discrimination and racism. They say they are insulted, in some cases beaten, and claim they are paid less than Chinese workers who do the same job. They allege that Chinese supervisors disregard their experience and put production before safety.

“We’re being treated in a very bad way by the Chinese. I’m a victim of assault myself. I was slapped across the face four times,” says Mutamba, another worker at TFM.
One Congolese worker at TFM described sitting through a two-hour meeting in Chinese, only to be given a two-minute translation at the end.

“We feel humiliated and embarrassed,” he says. “The way they are treating our people, you can’t believe. We are just expecting them to have respect for human life, instead of using people like slaves.”