WTF Climate Change News

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you misinterpreted my reference to "checking out" as a potential voluntary action on my part.
I did make that assumption, for which I apologise.
As opposed to the fact that I have progressive heart disease and damaged lungs. My "intentions" to live as long as possible are irrelevant.
Six months ago I very nearly died from heart failure (down to 10% efficiency). Only an immediate visit to the operating theatre followed by two weeks of hospitalisation kept me alive. That experience has made me even more determined to last as long as possible - I won't be 'checking out' of life, I'll have to be evicted from it...
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
I'm kind of Arkady and Beebs rolled into one. Even with my not so good health, as long as I am not in any lasting pain, I'll fight the Reaper tooth and nail.
When I go, I intend to go out kicking and screaming.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Evernote link


Kevin Anderson, a professor of energy and climate change at the University of Manchester, said: “The UK’s net zero strategy falls far short of both its Paris and G7 temperature and equity commitments. Scour the associated spreadsheets and the numbers reveal a story of subterfuge, delusion, offsetting and piecemeal policies – all dressed up as a shiny new strategy for Cop26. Remove the reliance on other nations offsetting our emissions and today’s children deploying ‘negative emission technologies’ to suck our CO2 out of the atmosphere, and the UK’s total carbon budget is more in line with 2.5-3C of warming than 1.5-2C.
“As our government rubs its hands at the prospect of oil revenues from the Cambo and Clair South fields, invests £27bn in new roads, [supports] overseas airport expansions, and pumps £1bn of taxpayers’ money into a huge new liquefied natural gas field in Mozambique, its PR machine, accompanied by the voices of high-emitting CEOs and senior academics, swings into full gloss paint mode. The climate, however, will see through this, responding as it always does to emissions rather than slick presentations, accountancy scams and half-baked strategies.”
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
COP26: Indigenous climate activist tells delegates, 'We have no more time' - BBC News

A 24-year-old indigenous climate activist from the Brazilian Amazon has said global leaders have "closed their eyes" to climate change.

Txai Surui says her father told her to listen to the stars, moon, animals and trees.

"The Earth is speaking: she tells us we have no more time," she says.

She pleaded with leaders to put indigenous people at the centre of the decisions made as they are in "the front line of the climate emergency", adding her friend had been murdered for protecting the forest.
 

Archer

Not a Robot
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
710
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2007
Is this a response to Elon's gum flapping about ending world hunger?