WTF Climate Change News

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Rapid advances in the technology and cost of batteries should allow all new cars and trucks sold in the US to be powered by electricity by 2035, saving drivers trillions of dollars and delivering a major boost to the effort to slow the climate crisis, new research has found.

Electric vehicles currently make up only about 2% of all cars sold in the US, with many American drivers put off until now by models that were often significantly more expensive than gasoline or diesel cars, as well as concerns over the availability of plug-in recharge points.
This situation is likely to drastically change this decade, according to the new University of California, Berkeley study, with the upfront cost of electric cars set to reach parity with gasoline vehicles in around five years’ time. As electric cars are more efficient and require less costly maintenance, the rapid electrification of transport would save about $2.7tn in driver costs by 2050.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Been a long while since I linked to a slashdot post.

Google Earth has partnered with NASA, the U.S. Geological Survey, the EU's Copernicus Climate Change Service, and Carnegie Mellon University's CREATE Lab to bring users time-lapse images of the planet's surface -- 24 million satellite photos taken over 37 years. Together they offer photographic evidence of a planet changing faster than at any time in millennia.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Been a long while since I linked to a slashdot post.

That's so depressing, seeing the green spaces that I remember growing up around atlanta get to dusty coloured. :(

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez

“When I went in for retirement planning I thought they were going to advise me to buy a house and put my money into mutual funds,” said millennial Jane Henry. “But instead they really hammered home that I need stop the permafrost from melting.”

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
The NY Times has an interesting article about the mitigation strategies that helped reduce the impact of the outbreak of locusts in Northeast Africa last year. The outbreak was due to irregular weather, and there have been warnings that this kind of phenomena may be more likely in the future due to changes in climate patterns. Some of the actions that people took to track the swarms and inform others made a huge difference on the impact of the event, and one of the themes of the article is that as we see more changes these kinds of strategies may have to be adapted more widely.

Mitigation strategies scare the 💩 out of the GQP, even the fear that there might be some. So the propaganda/outrage machine has been grinding out more of the usual.
This shouldn't even have to be said, but here we are,
And of course they're going to keep lying anyway.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Opinion: Australia’s ‘mice plague’ is horrific. Consider yourself warned.

Australia, right now, feels a little biblical. There was a terrible drought, then the worst bush fires ever recorded. A flood came next. Now it’s the turn of the mice.
The scale of the mouse plague is hard to comprehend. In the western districts of New South Wales (NSW), the country’s most populous state, millions of mice are now on the march. There are also serious infestations in southern Queensland, Victoria and South Australia.

• 1Scared
Reactions: Clara D.