Brexit.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Watching an English 20 something I know, what should ordinarily be reasonably employed (in 1960s) with a HMG employer about to become homeless due to a 35% rent increase on a place she didn't heat over last winter while managing on one meal a day being all she could afford.
Well renting a home/flat is in the UK not the standard, but the exception. The home ownership rate of the UK is about 63%. Of course the real estate market being what it is, especially in areas like Greater London and such, acquiring an own affordable home or flat becomes more and more an illusion for many Brits because they cannot afford the high prices.

And owning an own home is still one of the goals in life many young Brits I do know are trying to reach. Some of them though just scrapped the idea in the older days of buying one, and instead moving somewhere South where they can get much more home for the same or less money.

Last edited:

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Thread (by a sweet summer child)
Considering he was too young to vote when the actual vote happened, but now has a byline on the New Statesman which even my American self knows of....I think upper class twit would be a better descriptor.

Last edited:

Free

Which cat am I?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Spectre of Brussels. Too James Bond for me.

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Aside: when I'm reading aloud to my husband and come to what is described by the author as an upper class twit sort of person, I envision Jacob Rees-Mogg and do my best to imitate him. Freddy Threepwood (of Wodehouse's Blandings novels) comes vigorously to mind.