Brexit.

Lucifer

Gonnae no dae that, jist gonnae no.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
in the dimdark days of prehistory
I can easily see a united Ireland on the Horizon, and an independent Scotland. Maybe both of those will boost the growing independence movement in Wales too.

I'd love Bojo's legacy to be the man who utterly destroyed the UK.

Luisa Land

so I don't know..... in the UK corona is raging, there is obviously only a few days left for an agreement with the EU... and all we hear from Westminster is cabal and intrigue.
Maybe I'm using the wrong news sources, but it seems that after the departure of Cummings, the UK is drifting along without leadership

• 1Agree
Reactions: Arkady Arkright

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
The fact that there is no news about the Brexit negotiations at this point is good news IMHO.
I think they are very close to an agreement by now, otherwise it would have burst by now.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
so I don't know..... in the UK corona is raging, there is obviously only a few days left for an agreement with the EU... and all we hear from Westminster is cabal and intrigue.
Maybe I'm using the wrong news sources, but it seems that after the departure of Cummings, the UK is drifting along without leadership
That's how it's been since 2015.

Luisa Land

The fact that there is no news about the Brexit negotiations at this point is good news IMHO.
I think they are very close to an agreement by now, otherwise it would have burst by now.
I hope you're right...
To me, the current behaviour of the British government looks more like incompetence than tactics.
But of course, I can only speculate without having much insider knowledge

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I hope you're right...
To me, the current behaviour of the British government looks more like incompetence than tactics.
But of course, I can only speculate without having much insider knowledge
I agree with Sid that they're probably very close to a deal.

However, I am very worried indeed that they're so incompetent they'll blow it and we'll end up with no deal by accident.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ailsa Muliaina

Lucifer

Gonnae no dae that, jist gonnae no.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
in the dimdark days of prehistory

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I dunno.

Apart from the problems Spain would have with anything that might encourage Catalan independence right now (reservations possibly shared by other countries, too -- France and Corsica, maybe) we'd end up with the same problem as the Irish border only on the Anglo-Scottish border.

I'd have thought the last thing anyone in either England or Scotland wanted right now was to add to customs and supply-chain problems.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez

Unlike the express, I see this as positive.
Technically Scotland is still part of the UK, so hinting such things before Scotland is independent is definitely not the brightest thing you can do. I am sure we would not appreciate Austria hinting to Bavaria to give their support in a similar case either.

• 1Eye Roll
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Govi and Lucifer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm sure no one on the British Isles would make rash decisions based entirely on points of pride.
Maybe after seeing what Kent looks like after January 1 people will reconsider.

I'd certainly relocate from England to an independent Scotland that was part of the EU, but I can't see how that can come to be in my lifetime.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Technically Scotland is still part of the UK, so hinting such things before Scotland is independent is definitely not the brightest thing you can do. I am sure we would not appreciate Austria hinting to Bavaria to give their support in a similar case either.
Individual EU countries can't cut any deals with other countries.
That's where the EU is for.
Of course it will help the case if Germany is in favor of something, but they can't decide anything in that matter on their own.

• 1Like
Reactions: Lucifer

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
If it was a story from a news paper, there might be something to discuss.
Let's put it this way: The Express made up more than once EU stories.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Boris Johnson will not find this story reassuring.

The fact it's appearing less than a year after a landslide election victory is quite something.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Just need a tunnel from Esbjerg to Aberdeen.

• 1Like
Reactions: Lucifer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Honestly ... this is childish even by public school standards -- the sort of thing most of them grow out of at university, when they start to meet girls.

"Laddish" indeed! Oafish and bullying, more like. It is not the behaviour of a gentleman (which is not something I would say lightly).