Brexit.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Innula Zenovka :
I don't know if you listen to Mark Steel (R4 6:30pm tonight) but, if you do, it may give you an idea of where my politics started out - he's doing my home-town (Stratford-on-Avon), where I first voted (Tory, like my dad...) in 1970.
Oh, so you are coming out of the same town were Gordon Ramsay way raised. Did you meet him during your time there?

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I think it is far more interesting that Shakespeare once lived there too.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Arkady Arkright

Oh, so you are coming out of the same town were Gordon Ramsay way raised. Did you meet him during your time there?
Given that he was actually born in Scotland, he didn't move to Stratford till he was 9, and he's 20 years younger than me, I'd most certainly left the town by the time he arrived (couldn't get away quickly enough).

The term 'bloody incomer' comes to mind :p

eta: Actually, I found the Mark Steel show on Stratford a bit of a disappointment - there was no way he could really express just how fucking boring it was to grow up there...

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Given that he was actually born in Scotland, he didn't move to Stratford till he was 9, and he's 20 years younger than me, I'd most certainly left the town by the time he arrived (couldn't get away quickly enough).

The term 'bloody incomer' comes to mind :p

eta: Actually, I found the Mark Steel show on Stratford a bit of a disappointment - there was no way he could really express just how fucking boring it was to grow up there...
Might explain the appeal of that playwright dude then - Shakespeare, was it? [Sorry, couldn't resist, and well, if its dull now it was prolly dull then too....]

Arkady Arkright

Might explain the appeal of that playwright dude then - Shakespeare, was it? [Sorry, couldn't resist, and well, if its dull now it was prolly dull then too....]
He did all his best writing in London..

Strangely enough, I went to the same school as him - I wonder if it was the same boredom from that which drove him to the city ? The headmaster was so old I suspect he could have been there several hundred years ago anyway...

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

The headline seems better than the content this time:

A trade and security agreement with Britain is close to being finalised but the risk remains of an accidental no-deal Brexit in six weeks, with gaps on the contentious issues only “slowly shrinking”, EU ambassadors have been told.
The familiar problems of EU access to UK fishing waters and the design of a mechanism to ensure neither side can distort trade through undercutting standards remained unresolved but the differences were being gradually bridged, sources said.
But still, the fact that the talks didn't finally collapse until now, is still promising for a happy end (most likely reached December 31 around 23 hours).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

I hope our British forum members are getting some supplies before January 1st.

Bananas, oranges, kiwi etc. Also flour, dry yeast and canned goods, such as tomatoes and beans. Toilet paper might also be in high demand again.

• 1Facepalm

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Not to worry, UK has Capitalism, there will be no commie bread lines.

Food riots maybe.

• 1Agree
SL Rez
SLU Posts

British sex toy manufacturers are the latest victims to fall into the gaping sphincter that is Brexit as new restrictions force stiff charges onto every purchase.

In a brutal blow to European pleasure seekers, the popular sex toy company Godemiche has announced that a charge of £25 will be slapped on the back end of every order shipped to the continent.

The company regrets that it will be forced to thrust the extra costs onto customers as the charges threaten to penetrate their profits.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
After January truck drivers, will also face additional delays for checks on food, drink and agricultural products and customs in both directions.
So those 5 miles are just a small portion of what can be expected in a case of a no deal ending of the transition period.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Tell that man it has been a while already that Britannia really ruled the waves.
The EU is still a global power without the UK.
On the other hand the UK ...... well, has devaluated itself to be one of the many others now.
That means: Same status as others and same treatment as others who don't have any special treaties worked out.
Snowflakes and unicorns were never on the table as far as the EU were concerned, since the beginning of the Brexit theater.
So were gets Mr Gove his ideas from?
Maybe he can write a letter to Santa ......

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, has warned David Frost that without a major negotiating shift by Downing Street within the next 48 hours he will pull out of the Brexit negotiations in London this weekend, pushing the talks into a fresh crisis.
Should Barnier effectively walk out on the negotiations it would present the most dangerous moment yet for the troubled talks, with just 36 days to go before the end of the transition period.
While Brussels might hope such a move would put the UK prime minister under pressure to give Frost new negotiating instructions, it might also embolden those within the Tory party who believe no deal is the better outcome.
“These are decisive days for negotiations with the United Kingdom,” Von der Leyen told MEPs. “But, frankly, I cannot tell you today if in the end, there will be a deal.”
“We will do all in our power to reach an agreement. We’re ready to be creative,” she said. “But we are not ready to put into question the integrity of the single market, the main safeguard for European prosperity and wealth.”