Yay! Bakes on Mesh arrives on Monday.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
LL has announced that Bakes on Mesh will be integrated into the official viewer on Monday. The return of usable system layers is here! Third party viewers will follow shortly, I imagine. I'm looking forward to makeup mapping to the head the most.

Milly

Will people be able to use appliers and BoM or just one or the other ?

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Will people be able to use appliers and BoM or just one or the other ?
Probably both as long as the applier is on a different layer.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Archer and Brenda Archer

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm lost. Can someone translate this into practical terms? If I have a system skin and Lara body parts, how do I get dressed in the morning?

• 1Like
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Beebs, you will be able to wear a system skin and it will map to your mesh body. If it's not current or designed for Omega or Maitreya, it may look funky around the extremities so really old skins are most likely still going to be out of the question.

You can just wear it, no need for appliers. The real utility as it pertains to skin comes in being able to wear any skin regardless of which head or body it was made for and see if you like how it looks, instead of getting an applier that won't even talk to your mesh body/part. It will be most useful for stacking tattoos and makeup layers.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
You can just wear it, no need for appliers....
By doing... what? This is where I'm lost. I attach my Lara body parts and they magically take on my skin layer? Or is this something that will require an updated Lara?

Some of my skins are only available on appliers, so how do I get them on or are they now useless?

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
There is a lengthy instruction in the article I linked above.

I hadn't followed it very closely and it is, in typical LL fashion, rather kludgy.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I played with this way back when it was an early project viewer and it was great, but now the new update crashes on log in for me. I've never had this happen with any other defualt sl viewer.
I clean re installed it and the issue persists, and even restarted my computer, did internet checks, and etc. I guess I may have to wait until any of the third party viewers catch up.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yes, I did read that first. It didn't make any sense to me at all. I guess I'll figure out eventually.... or it will accelerate my departure from SL. I've already got one foot out the door already.
I'm sure you won't HAVE to install skins in this way - it's just supposed to be a new option. It's trivial for body-makers to continue including appliers with their bodies since they already exist, so you should be okay if you never figure out how it works.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Head HUDs (at least the ones I have) come with save slots for third party skins, makeup, etc. I imagine the body HUDs will follow suit.
I know my LeLutka head has some kind of provision for bake-on mesh already included. From their blog:
  • Bake on Mesh – Bake On Mesh texture has been included in the skin layer section – *IMPORTANT* This will appear as a gray un-rezzed texture unless you are using a viewer which supports “Bake On Mesh”, a feature which will not yet be live at the time this update is going out.
I'm not sure I understand it---sounds like a dedicated layer for bake-on mesh?--but I guess I'll find out.

Last edited:

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I got it working and.....this is gonna be great. And big.
Mesh avatar, high quality everything, it took me three minutes to get dressed. NO ALPHA HUDS. NO ALPHA LAYERS. No omega appliers.
And...you can just take things off again. No more saving individually textured copies of a mesh body do as to not have to fiddle with appliers every single time.
I'm happy. I've been working a lot lately on deadlines for shopping events and being able to have fun with clothes again in a fraction of time of just putting on a basic "this is socially acceptable for 1920s berlin post office" outfit used to take.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I'm not sure I understand it---sounds like a dedicated layer for bake-on mesh?--but I guess I'll find out.
Sounds like it, but one of the benefits of 'bakes on mesh' is that avatar complexity is reduced by not having to rely on thos 'onion skin' layers. It should also mean not having to use an alpha blended layer, which should also mean further reductions in complexity. So keeping all those layers as part of the avatar seems to me like it defeats the object somewhat.

However, my hope is that creators of mesh bodies keep the onion skin layers - or at least just the fashion (aka clothing) layer as a separate wearable item as an option.

Last edited:

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I believe all the mesh bodies and parts will need an update before this works smoothly.
nope as long as they are Omega...
You can create an omega applier that applies the three bake textures by UUID

Guess the moment of truth for TMP/Legacy has arrived - but staying true with their name I bet they will remain with legacy technology only.

However, my hope is that creators of mesh bodies keep the onion skin layers - or at least just the fashion (aka clothing) layer as a separate wearable item as an option.
I bet they will, imagine the outrage if makeup for thousands of Lindens becomes useless in the wink of a moment - I still hope for separate wearable onions though like my Yabusaka petite has.

No more saving individually textured copies of a mesh body do as to not have to fiddle with appliers every single time.
You still will have to - for alpha settings. Almost all my mesh outfits have the same skin + tattoo layer combo - yet I have dozens of outfit specific copies. If you really believe the cloth designers will give you fitting alphas for items purchased a long time ago (as some BoM advocates on the official Forums firmly believe) you are an hopeless optimist.

I know my LeLutka head has some kind of provision for bake-on mesh already included.
Sadly Lelutka added this feature just before LL had the bright idea to change the UUID of the user specific bake layers - this feature is broken now - see above for using BoM with Omega though.

Last edited:

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I have not followed this closely, and I saw some discussion in Omega about how the applier was out of date. How does that work?

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I would think it also reduces script load on the grid.

I can't imagine the scripts needed to make mesh bodies with onion layers work are low overhead.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Until there is materials support, there should still be onion-skin avatars.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising