Yay! Bakes on Mesh arrives on Monday.

Romana

SL Rez
Oof, just had a look at that forum thread. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I think I'm gonna need a "bakes on mesh for dummies" primer.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Oof, just had a look at that forum thread. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I think I'm gonna need a "bakes on mesh for dummies" primer.
nope nope, that UUID stuff is only neccesarry if you want to apply textures by script... For end users Lindens thought up somthing completly different with pulldown menus in edit window *sigh* as if any mesh bodies were mod GRRRR Lab being Lab again I guess.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I just checked all my alts, certain that at least one of them was using Slink Physique so I could grab the BoM update and start playing with it. But nope, not a single Slink to be had. So I either have to wait for a Maitreya Lara update or shell out Lindens to buy Slink for an alt that I'll just stick back in storage when I get bored. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Sansarya

Just Sans
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm using a Genus Babyface head and Belleza body, if that helps. Lelutka hasn't updated yet. LAQ and Slink have. I think you can use Maitreya and Catwa if you have the Omega applier for both of them. I'll try it and see.

ETA: Yeah, it works on Maitreya and Catwa if you have the Omega relay for both of them. Then you buy the Bakes on Mesh hud in the Marketplace and wear all three of them. Wear your body and head with alphas. Click on all three huds to make sure they're loaded on the mesh. Then click on the skin in your inventory you want to wear (old system skins). Your face and body should turn red (this is how I know it's working). Take off the alphas. Your new skin should be applied. I had to mess around a bit with the Catwa, but it eventually worked. You don't need to wear the alphas when you first start, it just gave me a visual indication it was working.

ETA: Oh, the eyes are wonky on the Catwa. I just took them off and used the AVI Glam eye meshes and hud.

ETA: Bakes on mesh also works with Lelutka heads. Wearing my favorite head with the omega relays for Maitreya and Lelutka Chloe 3.3, plus the BOM hud, and an old Curio system skin.

Bakes on Mesh with Lelutka/Maitreya by Sansarya Caligari, on Flickr

Last edited:
Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
I just checked all my alts, certain that at least one of them was using Slink Physique so I could grab the BoM update and start playing with it. But nope, not a single Slink to be had. So I either have to wait for a Maitreya Lara update or shell out Lindens to buy Slink for an alt that I'll just stick back in storage when I get bored. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
Panic not! You can buy a Maitreya Omega relay and a Bakes On Mesh HUD (about 125L) on the Marketplace and wear them both to set it up and then you're good to go. I use the Lara body and a Lelutka head and it's working fine for me.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Romana

SL Rez
If I'm using a BOM viewer, will I look funny to people who aren't?

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
If I'm using a BOM viewer, will I look funny to people who aren't?
Yup.

ETA: You'll only look funny if you've enabled BoM layers on whatever mesh avatar you're wearing. You'll look fine to everyone if you're just wearing whatever you wear now.

Last edited:

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
The next obvious question is if I'm using a non-BOM viewer will I look funny to people using a BOM viewer? Cause if I don't have to use this new system I'd rather not change things.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
The next obvious question is if I'm using a non-BOM viewer will I look funny to people using a BOM viewer? Cause if I don't have to use this new system I'd rather not change things.
From everything I've read so far, you'll look just fine to everyone regardless of viewer if you're using your regular non-BoM mesh avatar parts and attachments.

The only residents who will look weird are the early adopters who wear the BoM layers on the new Slink avatar or using the Omega-appliers and come into view of residents with a pre-BoM viewer. The non-BoM viewer wont' know how to make sense of the layers.

Given the widespread adoption of Firestorm, I'm waiting until a BoM-Firestorm viewer has been released before I do anything more than play with layers in a sandbox. And I'm not sure my curiosity is strong enough to deal with the SL viewer.

Sansarya

Just Sans
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It looks terrible on the Lumiya viewer. Just logged in on mine and I can't remove the layers or add the alphas from the mesh heads and bodies. I have a face growing out of my face! Lol

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
Not sure how to feel about this BOM, but people seem to want it? I've been working on appliers and setting up a few bodies for a set of skins that are being pushed out into the wild. Still very confused if this will make what I've been working on for ages, just a up and not needed now :/

• 1Hug
Reactions: Cristalle

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I've been working on appliers and setting up a few bodies for a set of skins that are being pushed out into the wild. Still very confused if this will make what I've been working on for ages, just a up and not needed now :/
In the short-term, many of your customers will probably still want/need/expect appliers, so your current work is really not in vain. The one change you'll want to make -- to support both BoM and non-BoM users -- is to also include the textures that the appliers push. For instance, if the appliers are adding skin to a mesh avatar, you'll want to provide a system skin version of your textures. Fortunately, that's a quick addition, so it's not a labor-intensive burden, and your BoM customers will really appreciate that option.

The long-term advantage is that you won't need to provide an applier at all. You can just create a system skin or tattoo and you're done.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I thought I boxed up all of my old skins, but at some point I must have purged them during one of my *many* (many, many) inventory "reorganizations". I searched every term I could think of, went through all of my objects, and I think I deleted all of my old Curio skins. :'(

Damn me!

• 1Hug
Reactions: Cristalle

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
This looks interesting! I have a whole treasure trove of old system skins.

How do the textures on the feet and hands turn out? I only heard about baked on mesh when League sent out a notice about some additional appliers needed for the feet and hands to cover up seams or something. I'm guessing it's because system hands and feet textures were pretty fugly back in the day?

• 1Like
Reactions: Sansarya

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
This looks interesting! I have a whole treasure trove of old system skins.

How do the textures on the feet and hands turn out? I only heard about baked on mesh when League sent out a notice about some additional appliers needed for the feet and hands to cover up seams or something. I'm guessing it's because system hands and feet textures were pretty fugly back in the day?
Terrible. It is no real loss to lose or delete your system skins that are years old. You would need something for the hands and feet to make sure that the nails were in the proper place.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Terrible. It is no real loss to lose or delete your system skins that are years old. You would need something for the hands and feet to make sure that the nails were in the proper place.
:qft:

Agreed. As much as I loved my old Curio, or Nomine, or heck, the old Starley Therian skin that was my first non-freebie look, I've gotta admit even leaving aside the hands/feet issue, that the texture work of contemporary designers is generally streets ahead of what I was wearing even a couple of years ago.

The main thing I'm looking forward to doing once I dive into BoM (like Beebo, I'm waiting on Firestorm to do an update), is being able to layer tattoos and whatnot. I want to be able to play with different freckle and blemish appliers and keep the tattoos I usually wear. Izzie's, for instance, has stretch marks and cellulite, which I would love being able to wear and still have the ability to add other marks. For me, that's the real power of BoM. It's not the ability to revisit old system layers; it's the return of the ability to customise your body. Something that the advent of mesh bodies limited significantly.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I think it's Slink that has hand and feet textures that can overlay the system skin and provide the missing details (mapped to the Slink mesh). So you can revive those old skins after all. But to Myf's point, many of those skins aren't as good as our memories. And I think it was Ellen Cordeaux who pointed out that skins for mesh have greater contrasts that help define the shape.