2020 Democratic Primary

bubblesort

The Biden supporters asking Bernie to drop out are just scared of democracy. Let the people vote. We decide who the nominee is based on the votes of all democrats in the country, not just the ones who live in states who vote before or on super Tuesday.

Everybody dropping out at once the day after super Tuesday was obnoxious. I mean, my guy Bernie didn't drop, and even if he did, I would write him in, but I imagine the Buttigeg and Kloubachar supporters are annoyed that they don't get to vote for their candidate. I think they should be heard as well, even if I disagree with them. That's what democracy is about. Being heard.

I wish we had one nationwide primary day, where everybody votes at once. This state by state business is stupid.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
If that was true I'm not sure "Bernie haters" would come so readily to your keyboard.
I thought that was pretty precise. They have what they consider a long list of grievances.

I’m really done with this subject. Please stop dragging it on.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
The Biden supporters asking Bernie to drop out are just scared of democracy. Let the people vote. We decide who the nominee is based on the votes of all democrats in the country, not just the ones who live in states who vote before or on super Tuesday.

Everybody dropping out at once the day after super Tuesday was obnoxious. I mean, my guy Bernie didn't drop, and even if he did, I would write him in, but I imagine the Buttigeg and Kloubachar supporters are annoyed that they don't get to vote for their candidate. I think they should be heard as well, even if I disagree with them. That's what democracy is about. Being heard.

I wish we had one nationwide primary day, where everybody votes at once. This state by state business is stupid.
They are already blaming Bernie when Biden is doing bupkiss to earn the votes. They think he's entitled to it. They expect people that have policy priorities to just roll over because they think it's some cult of personality.

Biden is losing in real time before any negative ads are even running. His margins over Trump are already falling and he has laughable levels of enthusiasm. Somehow Republicans are able to have a hard primary and still win. If Biden can't handle a competitive primary, how is he supposed to handle being president? Whenever he comes on TV it looks like elder abuse. No wonder #PresidentCuomo was trending. They think a soft primary is going to help Biden. It's not. Especially since Biden has lost his polish, hiding him will not give him the practice he needs to go up against Trump.

It's just too bad that Bernie refuses to take off the gloves to really go after Biden, because the electorate is slow. His policies are what we need right now, and yet the country is too innumerate to get it. Or maybe not; the pundit class is not necessarily a reflection of the whole country. They're not part of the 10+ million people recently out of a job and now without health insurance, though they should be.

Imagine if Bernie ran an ad that sounds like this:

The conniption these people would be having would be legendary. The sad thing is, you can pretty much substitute Biden for Clinton in the ad. They've learned nothing from 2016, they just want to blame voters, the stupidest strategy they could do.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Don't be stupid. Choose the unlocked fucking door.
Improve your reading comprehension and fucking memory. I didn't say that *I* prefer that. I said lots of people do. I'd be happy with medicare for all, if they can figure out a way to pay for it. I'm happy with the Affordable Care Act, because that's what I have now, and I'd be happy with regular medicare in a few years when I am old enough to qualify.

What I don't see are realistic plans to get there, given how our health care and political systems are set up today. An old white-haired guy can wag his finger all he wants, but that won't make it happen.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Apparently Jimmy Dore and Michael Tracey have turned on Bernie.

Now, ordinarily I consider both of these sources to be grifters and conspiracy peddlers spewing nothing but garbage, but I was told by someone here...can’t remember who...that they were valid sources of good information regarding lefty politics. Something about ignoring the messenger and just accepting the validity of the message.

Wonder how this new development fares against that philosophy...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Biden is losing in real time before any negative ads are even running. His margins over Trump are already falling and he has laughable levels of enthusiasm.
Nevertheless, all the recent polls seem to suggest that, while both Sanders and Biden currently enjoy an advantage over Trump in polling for the General Election, Biden consistently appears to enjoy a greater margin of success than does Sanders.

It's not a huge margin -- generally only a couple of points -- but Biden certainly seems the more popular candidate of the two, though not dramatically.

However, these same polls suggest that Biden enjoys an overwhelming majority of support amongst Democrats as the presidential candidate -- something 51% vs 32% at the moment.

Why on earth, at this point, would an impartial observer consider Sanders a stronger challenger to Trump than is Biden, since the latter seems both somewhat more popular with the electorate at large, and massively more popular in his own party, than is the former?

bubblesort

LOL, let it go. That long, crazy argument is over. You didn't convince me to vote for your patriot act authoring molester. Stop trying to argue over what's already been decided. Move on with your life.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
patriot act authoring molester
Assuming that's a reference to Biden and that you mean the legislation rather than the TV show, please explain to a Brit what his role was in drafting the Patriot Act (which I'd always associated with George W Bush).

I've looked it up in Wikipedia, and can't find his name anywhere on the page

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Nevertheless, all the recent polls seem to suggest that, while both Sanders and Biden currently enjoy an advantage over Trump in polling for the General Election, Biden consistently appears to enjoy a greater margin of success than does Sanders.
Also, as *every* pollster has been pointing out, every US president in the history of ever has seen an approval bump in the immediate unfolding of disaster. However, in Trump’s case, his bump is small and is mostly the result of a rabid surge in approval from the white evangelical nutters who love him and apolitical people who want to seem supportive in the moment, but who are soft or unlikely to vote GOP in the general.

Anyone pointing to current polls vs Trump without this context is either lacking in information or being deliberately misleading.

I know what my money’s on.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Assuming that's a reference to Biden and that you mean the legislation rather than the TV show, please explain to a Brit what his role was in drafting the Patriot Act (which I'd always associated with George W Bush).
Biden wrote an anti-terrorism bill in the 90’s and a lot of the proposals he suggested were used as the basis of the Patriot Act. However, it didn’t include all the tech intrusiveness and surveillance and overreach by the executive branch; it mostly focused on increased monitoring of bank and financial transactions to limit terrorism funding. In the years following the PA’s passage, Biden has pointed out the bill he wrote (which was problematic and in many ways anti-immigrant) was opposed by the GOP as a way to prove their overreach and hypocrisy, but that is usually spun as “Biden tries to take credit for the Patriot Act.”

There is a legitimate complaint here in that Biden’s bill was anti-immigrant. But, Bernie also has a terrible anti-immigrant past so Bros spin the issue as “Biden wrote the Patriot Act” in order to hide that Bernie wears the exact same baggage.The real difference regarding the actual Patriot Act is in their votes. Biden voted for it, and Bernie voted against it.

Last edited: