Товарищ

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

ETA: It's not a question of whether the chocolate is ethically sourced or not. It's a requirement of British law, and, it would seem, Australian law too, that companies are transparent about how they monitor their supply chains

As I understand it, most companies are quite content to comply with the legislation, at least in the UK -- the point about it is that doesn't place anyone at a competitive disadvantage by following best practice, and also it gives the business' buyers every reason to take a close look at how the products they source are manufactured.

The sellers can't simply say, "why does it matter, so long as we fulfill our side of the contact?"

I suppose it helps prevent the worst abuses, but I don't think anyone's hands are clean.

They can't be, given the conditions of mining, agriculture and production in many parts of the world, any more than they have been for the last several hundred years.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oh damn, I've got a whole grocery bag full of child slave produced half-off Easter candy - I totally didn't know about that. My grocery store tends to hide it so I lucked out.

Who can I kick some money to, in order to make up for profiteering off of that?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Oh damn, I've got a whole grocery bag full of child slave produced half-off Easter candy - I totally didn't know about that. My grocery store tends to hide it so I lucked out.

Who can I kick some money to, in order to make up for profiteering off of that?
The story seems to be two years old, and concerns Nestlé Australia's evidence to a senate committee considering some proposed Modern Slavery reporting requirements, which Nestlé Australia said would be too complex and expensive to implement because they apparently go considerably further than do those in force in the UK.

So we don't know what the Australian legislation actually looks like or whether the company is complying with it, only that in 2018 they said they thought the proposed legislation would be too onerous and time-consuming.

Here's the company's UK statement.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I like how its the future, but he needs half a dozen tablets to keep track of his business data. Hadn't they heard of spreadsheets?
Dude, Ferengi financial tracking requires a great deal more than your simple Excel technology.