Товарищ

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

ETA: It's not a question of whether the chocolate is ethically sourced or not. It's a requirement of British law, and, it would seem, Australian law too, that companies are transparent about how they monitor their supply chains

As I understand it, most companies are quite content to comply with the legislation, at least in the UK -- the point about it is that doesn't place anyone at a competitive disadvantage by following best practice, and also it gives the business' buyers every reason to take a close look at how the products they source are manufactured.

The sellers can't simply say, "why does it matter, so long as we fulfill our side of the contact?"

I suppose it helps prevent the worst abuses, but I don't think anyone's hands are clean.

They can't be, given the conditions of mining, agriculture and production in many parts of the world, any more than they have been for the last several hundred years.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oh damn, I've got a whole grocery bag full of child slave produced half-off Easter candy - I totally didn't know about that. My grocery store tends to hide it so I lucked out.

Who can I kick some money to, in order to make up for profiteering off of that?

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Oh damn, I've got a whole grocery bag full of child slave produced half-off Easter candy - I totally didn't know about that. My grocery store tends to hide it so I lucked out.

Who can I kick some money to, in order to make up for profiteering off of that?
The story seems to be two years old, and concerns Nestlé Australia's evidence to a senate committee considering some proposed Modern Slavery reporting requirements, which Nestlé Australia said would be too complex and expensive to implement because they apparently go considerably further than do those in force in the UK.

So we don't know what the Australian legislation actually looks like or whether the company is complying with it, only that in 2018 they said they thought the proposed legislation would be too onerous and time-consuming.

Here's the company's UK statement.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Watch it to the end

I like how its the future, but he needs half a dozen tablets to keep track of his business data. Hadn't they heard of spreadsheets?

(DS9 ran from 1993-1999, spreadsheets have been around since 1979)

Also, slogan at shoelace factory union: "Workers of the World, Untie"

• 1LOL
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I like how its the future, but he needs half a dozen tablets to keep track of his business data. Hadn't they heard of spreadsheets?
Dude, Ferengi financial tracking requires a great deal more than your simple Excel technology.

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ooh, pineapple mango...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It requires a huge shift in consumer attitude. Not many people are going to want to productively work in service industry positions because it’s what they want to do. That’s okay because a lot of it can be automated.

But I hear loads of complaining about self checkout, having to print our own documentation, tagging our own luggage, even (still) pumping our own gas. Add to that picking up our own Robot Caesar’s pizza, <insert very long list here>.

Regions bank recently closed their Selma branch and opened a small building with indoor ATMs and a couple of rooms where one can converse with a virtual presence employee to open accounts, discuss loans, and be shown how to use online banking. The project will be complete when they replace the employees with AIs.

Customers are not thrilled with this new arrangement. But we’ll have to accept such transitions as universal income and medical care are implemented. Prep and training we need. I don’t often see this aspect attached to these discussions.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've just finished reading Slave Empire, by Padraig X Scanlon, which is a remarkable reconsideration of the role of slavery, and the British anti-slavery movement, in the creation of the British Empire, and it makes it very clear that the British government, the British slaveholders and investors, along with the classic liberal economists like Adam Smith and David Ricardo, and most of the white British abolitionists, all agreed that abolition had to be managed so that the cost to the employer of paying daily wages to free workers in plantations and factories, both at home and in the colonies, was less than that of using enslaved labour.

"Wage labour, both agricultural and industrial, has got be cheaper than using slaves" was, it seems, baked into most capitalist theory right from the start, and a great deal of abolitionist thinking was devoted to devising ways to keep incomes low and ensure that wages stayed pretty much at near subsistence level, so that the workforce had to work pretty much full time in plantations or factories, or starve (the British, at least, really didn't want former slaves setting up as subsistence farmers, trading their surplus, because that was no use to the European investors who underwrote slavery in both the US and other European colonies and former colonies).

• 1Thanks

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
"Wage labour, both agricultural and industrial, has got be cheaper than using slaves" was, it seems, baked into most capitalist theory right from the start, and a great deal of abolitionist thinking was devoted to devising ways to keep incomes low and ensure that wages stayed pretty much at near subsistence level, so that the workforce had to work pretty much full time in plantations or factories, or starve

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka