2020 Democratic Primary

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
Barack needs to be a SC Justice.
He taught constitutional law for 12 years, so he's theoretically qualified. But historically we like SC justices to have field experience in lower courts before getting "promoted". You would need a Democratic majority in the Senate for him to be confirmed. Another issue is as President he was involved in matters that could later come before the court, and would therefore have to recuse himself.

My thought is if a sitting Senator is chosen as VP, have him be appointed to fill the seat. He previously served as a Senator, so he knows the job.

Just because it would be so much fun, add him to the legal team prosecuting Trump after he's out of office.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
He taught constitutional law for 12 years, so he's theoretically qualified. But historically we like SC justices to have field experience in lower courts before getting "promoted". You would need a Democratic majority in the Senate for him to be confirmed. Another issue is as President he was involved in matters that could later come before the court, and would therefore have to recuse himself.

My thought is if a sitting Senator is chosen as VP, have him be appointed to fill the seat. He previously served as a Senator, so he knows the job.

Just because it would be so much fun, add him to the legal team prosecuting Trump after he's out of office.
Historical precedent doesn’t mean much anymore, and everything depends on flipping the Senate. Otherwise we just have another Merrick Garland situation.
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
For those who can't get past the pop-up asking people to subscribe:
1. Senator Kamala D. Harris (Cal)
2. Senator Amy Klobuchar (Minn)
3. Governor Gretchen Whitmer (Mich)
4. Senator Elizabeth Warren (Mass)
5. Senator Tammy Baldwin (Wis)
6. Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (Nev)
7. United States Representative Val Demings (Fla)
8. Senator Tammy Duckworth (Ill)
9. Georgia House of Representatives Stacey Abrams (Ga) (akaromance author Selena Montgomery)
10. Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham (New Mexico)
11. Susan E. Rice (Maine) - long list of stuff she's done. ('considering a run for Senate in Maine')
Well, we have to scratch Harris from the list. You know, because she's one of the two Senators from CA, and they just declared themselves a nation-state.

And yes, I'm getting this from an article posted in another thread - Gavin Newsom Declares California a ‘Nation-State’
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
He taught constitutional law for 12 years, so he's theoretically qualified. But historically we like SC justices to have field experience in lower courts before getting "promoted". You would need a Democratic majority in the Senate for him to be confirmed. Another issue is as President he was involved in matters that could later come before the court, and would therefore have to recuse himself.

My thought is if a sitting Senator is chosen as VP, have him be appointed to fill the seat. He previously served as a Senator, so he knows the job.

Just because it would be so much fun, add him to the legal team prosecuting Trump after he's out of office.
Sure, justices should recuse themselves, but that happens. Like when former President Taft recused himself in a case in 1927 when he was a Supreme Court Justice.

In terms of 'field experience', Taft was a US Court of Appeals Judge for the Sixth Circuit for about 8 years before he became president (9 years after leaving the position of Judge). Then became Supreme Court Justice roughly 8 years after being President.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Eunoli

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
1,050
SL Rez
2002

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
So, Twitter (why am I looking at it???) is full of people declaring they'll vote for Trump over Biden if they can't have Bernie today. #VoteBlueNoMaterWho was just..all that when I looked hoping for an uplifting sense of unity... (I know..I'm just that naive).

But, I also came upon this which I think is in full force again for this election and far more sophisticated than 2016:

That's the point I was trying to make. (Somebody 🙄'ed at me)


And it will work on some.
It already is. 😢

So, this morning I saw someone make a good point about the Bernie or Bust crowd; they are mostly white guys. I mean, you kind of have to think you're in a strong enough position that it doesn't matter if we get four more years of Twitler.

----------

And it is FAR more important to pick a woman; because we're half the population - and it still sends a message to Trumpists. We've had a black president [at least in that he's half African, anyway] but we've never had a woman as president or vice president. I'm perfectly fine on her being a minority woman, but it needs to be a woman. But I think half of the female support for Biden is that he's indicated he's looking at a woman for his running mate.

Also, she needs to be progressive.
Would a progressive woman VP be enough for the purists? Probably not. But it's a good idea, anyway.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
That's the point I was trying to make. (Somebody 🙄'ed at me)



It already is. 😢



Would a progressive woman VP be enough for the purists? Probably not. But it's a good idea, anyway.
Might not be for the arseholes who'd vote for Twitler in a snit, but it would help with the real progressives, I think. I sometimes feel like the 'purists' aren't actually progressives, either.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,424
SLU Posts
18459

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Historical precedent doesn’t mean much anymore, and everything depends on flipping the Senate. Otherwise we just have another Merrick Garland situation.
Yes, I can see Mcturtle arguing in 2021 that we need to wait until 2025 before approving a judge. Then 2029 if an R is not elected.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
That's the point I was trying to make. (Somebody 🙄'ed at me)



It already is. 😢



Would a progressive woman VP be enough for the purists? Probably not. But it's a good idea, anyway.
Unless they are in states where they would risk their life on who will win no matter who they vote for they are idiotic children throwing a tantrum.

Here in DC donnie got 4.9 percent and we have NEVER voted for an R. Even knowing that, I still do not know who I will vote for in November.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,687
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
I hate predicting the future, but this prediction has some authority behind it: Warren will be Biden's VP pick.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat the curry powder in the back of my condiments cabinet.
 

Monica Dream

But spirit is something that no one destroys
Joined
Dec 21, 2019
Messages
1,326
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
7008
I hate predicting the future, but this prediction has some authority behind it: Warren will be Biden's VP pick.
Not a snowflake's chance in hell.

They're aware that it's likely Biden will die in office; they're going to push Harris or someone even further to the right to be his VP.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,687
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565

Bernie Sanders endorsed his former rival Joe Biden for president on Monday in a joint online appearance.

“I am asking all Americans, I’m asking every Democrat, I’m asking every independent, I’m asking a lot of Republicans, to come together in this campaign to support your candidacy, which I endorse,” Sanders said.

[...]

“We’ve got to make Trump a one-term president,” Sanders said. “I will do all that I can to make that happen.”