How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I just saw another article complaining about the teenagers on spring break. That's just dumb. Those teenagers were doing the responsible thing.

If you are in a low risk population, like the average teenager is, your goal should be to get corona as fast as possible, so you can develop antibodies, because as you get older, your risk goes up. Doing it on spring break is a great idea, because that limits your exposure to your parents and older relatives, who are probably much higher risk than you. When you return to your home town, you have antibodies, so you can take an essential job and maybe even support your family if they are a rough time financially. Also, super high risk grannies wouldn't have to be working cash registers so much.

In fact, I think that if we wanted to build herd immunity fast, the best place to start would be for the government to sponsor a 3 week long spring break, and lower the drinking and marijuana age to 16 for those 3 weeks. Let them go nuts, tell them to all get infected and recover before sending them home to work essential jobs, with extra disaster pay. Beef up hospitals in the area for the few who might have complications, of course, but generally, let them have a blast.

They would probably wear masks and wash their hands constantly just to be rebellious, but it's worth a try.
If any public health authority in the world thought this was a good idea, presumably some of them would have tried it by now.

This might represent a failure of judgment and imagination on their part, of course.

Then, again, it might not.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
I believe it's so that if family for the deceased is discovered at a later time, they can exhume the body and place it in their care for burial elsewhere, perform whatever rites they follow, etc.
Potter's Field in New York City, which is where these people are being buried, is also for those who are unable to afford a funeral, in addition to deceased with no known relatives. It's on a little island east of The Bronx. The city has been using it for about a century.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I'm surprised Florida's that high for our gov.
I suspect many people simply want to believe that whoever's in control at the moment is, all in all, doing a good job, or at least as best they can under the circumstances, since the alternative is too depressing.

That's a lot easier if you agree with the incumbent's politics, I think, but it's also a desire simply to believe that someone at the top is keeping things together.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
I like Lawrence O’Donnell’s suggestion to go out and make noise at 7pm each day to show appreciation for medical ppl as they are doing in downtowns — even if they can’t hear it.

I went out last evening and banged a pot. Neighbors didn’t pay Much attention. Tonight I will honk the car horn.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I went out last evening and banged a pot. Neighbors didn’t pay Much attention. Tonight I will honk the car horn.
Car alarms are popular in my neighbourhood.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
That all you got? We do 30 minimum with eyes on 40. *flex*
When you work in a primary school over here, you have the same group all day, the whole year.
The numbers vary each year. The average is 24 children in one class. But average doesn't mean it doesn't vary.
My smallest class ever was 17 kids.
My largest ever had 36 kids.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
I only have 24, but they would have 15 minutes between classes spread all across town.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

I have to say, I cannot understand what Fox are doing here.

Their anchors are advocating a course of action which, if followed, would inexorably lead to a massive second spike in infections, possibly even worse than the first, as surely as night follows day.

That would not only kill off a substantial number of their viewers but also inflict massive damage on the US economy and also on what little remains of the reputation of both Fox and Trump.

What's in it for Fox? Their hosts on the infotainment side of the business are a bunch of clowns and charlatans, but the board aren't complete idiots, and Rupert Murdoch didn't make all his money by being stupid, either.

The only halfway rational explanation I can think up is that Lachlan and James, at least, have decided that the Republicans' descent into nihilistic craziness has gone too far, and that the rational course of action is to let the whole horrible mess finally implode on collision with reality.

Then Fox can set about rebranding itself as the dust settles, and enter into another Faustian pact with some US conservatives who will actually make a stab at running the country rather than fighting culture wars, dismantling necessary government agencies for crackpot ideological reasons, and indulging in nihilistic partisan opposition and obstruction for the sake of it.

I'm not wholly persuaded by that, but it's the best I can come up with that doesn't sound like the plot of a bad political thriller.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Here in the UK, Keir Starmer has been elected (with a thumping majority, including my vote) as leader of the Labour Party to replace Jeremy Corbyn.

He's appointed Anneliese Dodds as shadow chancellor, and here she is being interviewed about the effects of Covid-19 on the economy, in a scene that must be familiar to many parents video-conferencing from home:



LOL! That happens to coworkers all the time. I honestly do not mind it, we get to see a new face. If it causes a slowdown and we can not run over there is always skype or email. Unless you have an office you can bolt (not good for safety reasons) there will always be kids and random family members in shots.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
When you work in a primary school over here, you have the same group all day, the whole year.
The numbers vary each year. The average is 24 children in one class. But average doesn't mean it doesn't vary.
My smallest class ever was 17 kids.
My largest ever had 36 kids.
I was being sarcastic. (Not an attack on you.) Here there are frequent conflicts between teacher unions and government over class sizes. The usual budget cut mumbo jumbo results in larger class loads. A class of 40 isn't something I'm bragging about, it's what I consider a failure in society. I salute your 20-25.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Don't blame Sanders. There are a lot of local candidates and issues including a state Supreme Court race on the ballot.
Right, here in DC the D primary ballot is the de facto general ballot. Name another state where there is a real chance of the Rs losing to an indy party.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I am pretty sure they stay on the ballot if they were still there when that state closed their sign ups and had made the cut. It doesn't mean they are still in the race.
Right, outside of a stats anomaly for the history books Biden will sweep it and most are there because the ballots were already printed. Typically the runnerup stays though as they can use it to get reforms from the party.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Bored artists take one look at the Queen and see "Green Screen!"

I'm imagining Beebo! :p



Commander? They only gave her 3 pips?