How COVID-19 is affecting society

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
Now that I've been working from home for 3 weeks, I'm not sure I'm willing to go back to the office, even when it's "safe" to do so. I'm feeling sooo much better due to the extra sleep I get in the morning, time to exercise, and no long commute into work.
Welcome to the club! I've been working from a home office ever since I retired from Boeing. Hard to beat a 30 foot commute. As an engineer, all I really need is a decent computer with internet, and access to my reference data (mostly electronic these days). I'm sure a lot of office jobs are in a similar situation.

Business managers are seriously considering letting a lot of people continue to work from home. They can save big-time on office space costs.
 

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
937
Location
A virtual world. And Pennsylvania.
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I wonder about security, though. If employees have access to customer/company data, wouldn’t the fact that they’re at home mean that their household also have access?
I'm not sure about other companies, but I had to sign a WAH agreement before I was able to be set up to work here. One of the clauses was that I wasn't on a shared computer (I'm not, my son has his own and my mom doesn't use a computer) and that no one else was able to access the information. While it's impossible for them to actually monitor that without a surprise inspection of my 'workspace', it's still an agreement I signed, which makes me liable were anything to happen.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I wonder about security, though. If employees have access to customer/company data, wouldn’t the fact that they’re at home mean that their household also have access?
I used to work in third party insurance and union pensions. There was constant talk about work from home on a bunch of things but privacy act was a hurdle. It's especially a thing in BC where if there's a breach the 'privacy officer' can end up with jail time.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,257
SL Rez
2006
I wonder about security, though. If employees have access to customer/company data, wouldn’t the fact that they’re at home mean that their household also have access?
If you have the appropriate computer setups, that should not be an issue. For instance, in order to do my job I must be on a company laptop, logged into our network. It doesn't really matter whether the laptop is at our office or at home, either way, the security should work exactly the same.

For clients, if we have access to their servers, then the risk to the data is the same whether we're logged in from work or from home.

In addition to my company laptop, I also have a client laptop here with me. The only way to log into their network is through that laptop, so whether or not I'm logging in from office, home or a hotel room, it's all the same risk.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I see that, in the UK, the Data Commissioner's Office has an FAQ on data protection and Covid-19, which includes this:

More of our staff will be homeworking during the pandemic. What kind of security measures should my organisation have in place for homeworking during this period?
  • Data protection is not a barrier to increased and different types of homeworking. During the pandemic, staff may work from home more frequently than usual and they can use their own device or communications equipment. Data protection law doesn’t prevent that, but you’ll need to consider the same kinds of security measures for homeworking that you’d use in normal circumstances.

Advice throughout the EEA will be similar, I would think.
 
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Isabeau

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

A man called Keith from Norfolk believes the Army should be shooting people on the streets if they flout the government’s coronavirus lockdown. Keith announced his plan for the UK just before 2.30am during a BBC 5 Live radio call-in with presenter Jim Davis. While Keith said he didn’t want the military to ‘necessarily kill them’, he argued a shot to the hand or foot should ‘teach them a lesson’. The main offenders on Keith’s hit list were the people ‘running around sunbathing’, ‘spitting in the streets’, ‘disrespecting the Queen’, or just generally ‘being outrageous’.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
The future of social distancing:



Railway workers in Wuhan preparing to disinfect the station - and each other - as months of lockdown are coming to an end. But could this become the new normal until the disease is beaten?
 

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
Henry Rollins has given us a four hour "Cool Quarantine" show, which is him playing selections from his music collection, and telling stories about the music. Those of us who are GenX can totally get into sitting in a dark room alone while listening to music and reading the inner sleeves of records. It's worth a listen, particularly if you like DC punk from the late 70s/early 80s.

Hang with Henry Rollins as he shares stories and songs from his personal collection
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

My heart bleeds for them.

Yes, I can understand their disappointment and chagrin, but that's money they'd already decided they could afford to spend on an expensive holiday, and other people have far more pressing financial concerns as a result of the emergency.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
170
Location
San Junipero
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
2013
SLU Posts
2357
I wonder about security, though. If employees have access to customer/company data, wouldn’t the fact that they’re at home mean that their household also have access?
I was wondering about this too last night with Mrs. E's work. Not so much for her as I'm the only one here, but in busy households with a lot of other people around.