Islandz (Inworldz 2.0) is Closing (again)

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Opensim seems to function better if the creators don't think ONLY about profit. A mixture of utilitarianism and features enabling creativity in ways not supported by SL seem to be the way to go. I've listened to friends talk about their Inworldz avatars and it seems like Inworldz was banking on peoples frustration with SL and LL and an inability to let go of old methods like Sculpties.

Frustration is a powerful force, if you build a business around people's angst from an existing service then sometimes they can turn a blind eye to your own business failings. Very exploitative, and the creators comments of "What are they going to do, sue me?" are just really chilling. I doubt anyone would ever want to work with her on future projects if this is her attitude.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Very exploitative, and the creators comments of "What are they going to do, sue me?" are just really chilling. I doubt anyone would ever want to work with her on future projects if this is her attitude.
Agreed on all points -especially about Opensim and the profit motive (for capitalism, against capitalism don't matter ...there ain't enough capitalism in opensim to be viable).

To be fair I don't think that was a creator you're quoting -it was Beth, the owner of the new grid, talking in Discord about closing.

Which is even more chilling, come to think of it ...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

MoiraKathleen

SL Rez
I'm not actually too surprised about this, given what I had read when Inworldz closed and the tone of things in the Discord channel which I followed for a couple of months. I spent some time in Inworldz from time to time, but never got totally involved there. Having not joined SL (or Inworldz) until 2014, I always found it a little odd that so many over in Inworldz still complained about and talked bad about SL over something that had happened years before. I think that not being able to fully move past that gave me a feeling of bad energy around the edges when I was in Inworldz.

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
Her closing the islandz chat after her rant and not explaining what she was doing with content creators oars upset lots of people. Jim is trying to do damage control from what I've seen, but his blog is hard to follow for people whom do not fully understand all the technical jargen

• 1Thanks

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There is still another twist to the InWorldz saga, which I talk about here: somebody is passing off potential malware/spyware using the InWorldz name!
Soundz like thingz are still...jumping.

• 2RuPaul
Reactions: Cristiano and Clara D.

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Yeah I think it was a combination of a lot of things that brought InWorldz down (mismanagement among them). But Beth should never have tried to resurrect InWorldz with Islandz; that whole idea was doomed from the start.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
If running a virtual world was a one man job, why would LL have hired two?
Because they're lazy.

Inworldz wasn't supposed to be a one woman show. There were three owners who were going to share the work. But one of them vanished without a trace right after the grid opened. As far as I know, nobody's on any grid ever heard from him again. The other co-owner was kept busy programming. From what I udnerstand, he did some seriously good work on the server software but that mean he was never there to help with all the other tasks.

It worked for a while becasue the grid had a large number of enthusiastic volunteers. But volunteers wear out and of course, although they could help a lot in-world, they couldn't do anything about all the administrative work.

Does anybody remember how big Inworldz was btw? TAG - afaik the only surviving non-hypergrid alternative grid - has grown from 80 to 527 regions recently and it seems nearly all of it is refugees from Inworldz.

Last edited:
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid
Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
I recall InWorldz being large for OpenSim, maybe even three figure concurrency? A few SL creators went there at one point to set up shop - people like Magika and Ingenue, so actual names one might know - but they seemed to give up on it pretty quickly. No idea why, maybe poor RoI? It did always feel like there were more people than in, say, Kitely or Metropolis.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
From 2010 until like 2014 or so Inworldz had around 250 to 300 people in it at a time. I've no idea after that, because I really lost track of them.

• 1Thanks