Islandz (Inworldz 2.0) is Closing (again)

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Amazed me it reached over 1000 registered users (to best of my knowledge they hadn't gotten around to setting up new users, just InWorldz return users), and 62 regions (about a dozen are founder owned, rest purchased by users). Disappointed it failed, but not surprised.

Aztek

http://www.virtualkennelclub.com
SL Rez
Is anyone REALLY surprised?

Aztek

http://www.virtualkennelclub.com
SL Rez
"She said that she will not be making filtered OAR region export files available to members. “I’m not going to spend the next 3 months working for free to filter out stuff.”

Instead, she said, she will simply mail full OAR files to members.

“Quite honestly, I don’t really care if content creators like it or not,” Reischl wrote.

As several commentators pointed out, releasing the content without the permission of the original copyright holders is a violation of copyright law.
What are they going to do? Sue me?” Reischl asked. “Good luck, there’s nothing to sue over.” "

One last Fuck You to every creator who had put trust in her business.

Last edited:
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
Yep, we are watching this closely ourselves. and aztek, Thank you, she canned the discord channel in the last 12 hours, so I'm unable to see everything that was being said.

Daniel Voyager

10 days is not alot of time, should be more notice.

Apart from Discord chat channel there has not been any official announcement about this on the Islandz blog.

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
I guess well see if she decides to get content creators, some big names, upset. with her comments about Releasing oars unfiltered.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
It all provides a clear object lesson for other grid operators: <waltersobchak> THIS! IS WHAT HAPPENS! WHEN YOU DON'T! ALLOW! JUMPING! </waltersobchak>

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
I honestly can't imagine any of the OpenSim grids making much of a profit ever. I mean, they're basically Second Life but with less content and fewer people to talk to. I know Kitely's been trying a few things, but I feel like there's only a limited scope for success with these things.

• 2Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Pr1m, Sid and Han Held

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Oh dear .... such a big surprise .....

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aztek

Erich Templar

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm not surprise. Like many people I was expecting this to be the outcome as soon as Islandz was announced.

However...
“What are they going to do? Sue me?” Reischl asked. “Good luck, there’s nothing to sue over.”
I hope she has a good lawyer. But I doubt it, somehow.

Misty Harley

Coffee. That is all.
Technically, she shouldn't be broke. She originally claimed none of the money raised on the GFM by the residents (around 15grand) was not going to past bills but instead, towards a new grid. Which servers apparently went on line around september....so 5 months of server fee's since both her and Jim both state they weren't paid during that time. Plus the new payments of anyone who bought sims from them on this go around.

That's some pretty hefty server price for around 60 regions - give or take.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Han Held and PandoraB

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I honestly can't imagine any of the OpenSim grids making much of a profit ever. I mean, they're basically Second Life but with less content and fewer people to talk to. I know Kitely's been trying a few things, but I feel like there's only a limited scope for success with these things.
Yeah. I feel like ultimately a model like OS Grid, which is basically all self hosted by individuals, has any real chance.

Hypergrid enabled helps. What the whole thing needs is some sort of built in interconnection for finding events or people and things.

Like, if SL is Facebook, and everyone is already there, OpenSIM is just a loose collection of random websites. It needs some sort of connective tissue.

• 2Like
Reactions: Lydz and Brenda Archer