Yay! Bakes on Mesh arrives on Monday.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
The main thing I'm looking forward to doing once I dive into BoM...
For me, the attraction is not having to mess with appliers and reducing the lag of the body. But most likely I won't be able to ditch appliers for quite some time, if ever. There's only one aged skin from YS&YS that has a "Beebo" feel to it and it's only available as an applier for the Simone Lelutka head, so I'm pretty much stuck. There's so little variety in women's skins and mesh heads -- pretty much everything skews heavily femme -- that I'm really limited in my options.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Cristalle

Lance Corrimal

several people said:
... old system skins ...
That's what I thought too. Problem is, old system skins usually have painted-on fingernails and toenails - and THAT looks really bad on a mesh body.

Must admit as a system avi user I didn't think BOM was going to be really relevant to me, but if it means creators start including system layers again it helps me too :)

As for the hands and feet thing, paws and or gloves are fantastic for covering hand glitches. No idea exactly where the glitches are on mesh hands, but it might be possible to make a tintable hand tattoo and use that too. A bit like the ones that came with older wearable nails to hide your system fingers, for those who remember such antiques :D

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
For me, the attraction is not having to mess with appliers and reducing the lag of the body. But most likely I won't be able to ditch appliers for quite some time, if ever. There's only one aged skin from YS&YS that has a "Beebo" feel to it and it's only available as an applier for the Simone Lelutka head, so I'm pretty much stuck. There's so little variety in women's skins and mesh heads -- pretty much everything skews heavily femme -- that I'm really limited in my options.
Have you ever tried something like this? (she also makes them in appliers for all of the heads, I think)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Izzies-DEMO-Face-Wrinkle-Tattoos/7984913

Actually, I think Izzie includes the system/tattoo layers with appliers. The one I linked includes shapes, too, but the applier versions don't, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Slink has included BoM in their latest Physique version, called Redux. BoM seems to be the default for the Redux version of the body, hands, etc. so I'm not sure if you have to use a relay if you're not up to tracking BoM yet, or if there are regular "onion" versions included.
I've been doing the Twisted Hunt so I didn't take the time to dive into the Sink update yet. I hope it's not as complicated as it looks.

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
Downloaded the new viewer last night. Made me remember why I switched to firestorm but the lag only lasts for 10 minutes after logon.
Anyway, Wooowww! I haz a rebirthed system skin inventory! You can tell my GA.EG head is based on the SL UV maps, because most of the skins I had looked really good on it. Some looked ok on my Catwa and Lelutka heads.
I even dug out the old Naughty Designs Alina skin for shits and giggles.

I thought I was onto something clever when I had the idea to use the alpha layers from my old Slink hands and feet to see if I could have applier textured hands and feet with the BoM body and head. I said to myself if I apply the appliers on the hands and feet with the body detached, then reattach the body we should have neat feet and hands, but it wasn't to be lol. And yes it only works if it happens to be a skin creator who had maitreya appliers and system skins instore at the same time at any point in the past AND still uses the same basic skin tones in their range. In this case I tried to use League.

• 1Thanks

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
I've tested the new Slink Hourglass Redux just now, and man, it takes a moment to fall into new (read: old!) habits.

TL;DR:

* Wear meshbody
* Wonder why your body does not show up at all
* REMOVE YOUR FULL BODY ALPHA YOU ARE SO USED TO BY NOW
* Wear a head-alpha-only one instead if you use a non-BoM mesh head
* Wear classic system skin asset (hopefully with new 1024 skin textures!)
* Mesh body gets the skin textures of the skin inventory item! System body is auto hidden! Enjoy! Wait....
* Notice missing body materials
* Apply materials using Hud/Omega or Whatever applier and curse LL for not adding materials functionality to system skins with this step. WHY LL WHY
* Enjoy!
* Pls optionally make a copy and remove scripts using the new Slink hud functionality, okay?

It's that easy, really.

P.s. if your body instead shows a YELLOW and BLUE texture, your viewer is not BoM ready.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Oh, oh, also, a big one:
You can enable Bake-on-mesh functionality on any mod object or link yourself(!). Even prims and sculpts.
1) Edit it, either the entire object, link or just an individual face/layer.
2) Go to the textures tab
3) Click the diffuse texture
4) On the texture picker dialog, choose the new 'bake' option
5) Pick your bake type (head, upper, lower, any of the clothes layers..)
=> The object or individual faces of the object automagically get the bake when it's attached.

So handy for certain attachments!
P.s. Again. LL. Why no materials on the system skins now? Why? WHY?

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I've tested the new Slink Hourglass Redux just now, and man, it takes a moment to fall into new (read: old!) habits.

TL;DR:

* Wear meshbody
* Wonder why your body does not show up at all
* REMOVE YOUR FULL BODY ALPHA YOU ARE SO USED TO BY NOW
* Wear a head-alpha-only one instead if you use a non-BoM mesh head
* Wear classic system skin asset (hopefully with new 1024 skin textures!)
* Mesh body gets the skin textures of the skin inventory item! System body is auto hidden! Enjoy! Wait....
* Notice missing body materials
* Apply materials using Hud/Omega or Whatever applier and curse LL for not adding materials functionality to system skins with this step. WHY LL WHY
* Enjoy!
* Pls optionally make a copy and remove scripts using the new Slink hud functionality, okay?

It's that easy, really.

P.s. if your body instead shows a YELLOW and BLUE texture, your viewer is not BoM ready.
You can apply just materials with Omega now? Or is that on the Sink body HUD?

Also, what if you trashed all the system skins you liked in a purge because you figured with mesh and appliers they were outdated?

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

Also, what if you trashed all the system skins you liked in a purge because you figured with mesh and appliers they were outdated?
Some bodies have materials support and you can apply materials with Omega. Maitreya does not support materials.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts

I actually use the slink Specular and Normal HUDs (a set of extras in the shop that's been around for quite a while) for applying materials to the body, as I use my own materials. The way it works is, you give copies of textures in your inventory specific names (like torso_skin, legs_skin, hand_skin etc.) and ctrl+drag them onto the hud. then you click a button and they apply. No need to make an extra applier of your own.

But yes, see Cristalle's answer.
Also, 2019 and Maitreya still not supporting custom materials is.....sad. Didn't know that, especially given its general popularity.

• 1Thanks

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
Somehow I've completely missed this concept. Materials? How would that enhance a mesh body?

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Terrible. It is no real loss to lose or delete your system skins that are years old. You would need something for the hands and feet to make sure that the nails were in the proper place.
hmm like a quick and sloppy "No nails" tattoo on fingertips?

Somehow I've completely missed this concept. Materials? How would that enhance a mesh body?
shine for PCB circuitry tattoos
normal maps for you pores, scars, wrinkles and cellulite overlays or for fur skins

there probably are more uses - just the ones I quickly came up with
Maitreya does not support materials.
Wrong! Though Maitreya only allows materials through native Maitreya appliers, not via Omega.

Last edited:
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Romana and Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I've been doing the Twisted Hunt so I didn't take the time to dive into the Sink update yet. I hope it's not as complicated as it looks.
Quite the contrary -- It's amazingly easy! I tried out the Slink demo tonight on one of my alts.

Slink Redux Mesh Body:
1) Take off any body alphas
2) Wear your favorite skin
3) Add the Redux mesh body
4) Optional: for any pre-mesh skins, Add the Fingertips for Redux and Toetips for Redux tattoos. (The Fingertips and Toetips are tintable, so you can fine tune the skin tone match, but they worked perfectly for me without any adjustment.)

And you're done!

I may buy the Redux for this alt, who is currently stuck in 2010, with Outfits still using prim cuffs and collars.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Well. As Fionalein mentioned, little lighting-based details like pores and skin uneveness as well as muscle definition (normal map), and sheen, sweat or oilyness (specular map).
It also allows for more exotic applications especially for non-human avatars (warning, contains some nudity):

https://purple.sh/img2/galleries/SL/Chalice/2019-09-10_18-05-05.webm
https://purple.sh/img2/galleries/SL/Chalice/2019-09-10_18-06-24.webm

And last but not least a materials effect that currently no no-mod body I know of supports, because their creators did not understand how useful emissive material masks can be:
https://purple.sh/img2/galleries/SL/Chalice/2019-09-10_18-18-21.webm

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Given the widespread adoption of Firestorm, I'm waiting until a BoM-Firestorm viewer has been released before I do anything more than play with layers in a sandbox. And I'm not sure my curiosity is strong enough to deal with the SL viewer.
IT ME
Well. As Fionalein mentioned, little lighting-based details like pores and skin uneveness as well as muscle definition (normal map), and sheen, sweat or oilyness (specular map).
When do we get subsurface scattering?

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
honestlty ... after still running into folks without animesh capable viewers...
I will wait until all non BoM Firestorm versions are blocked from SL before ever wearing one in public. Average SL users are not the SOTA Crazy Forum users you find in the official Forums.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I need an animesh pine marten tail stat.