The 2024 U.S. Presidential race

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,647
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
While this is almost certainly prima facie illegal under British election law, it seems to me extraordinary that the people responsible for conducting election polls according to US law don't seem to be treating it as a matter of some urgency to determine its legality under local US laws.
The Justice Department’s head of election crimes sent a warning letter to Elon Musk’s America PAC Monday, alerting it that it was a crime to knowingly offer anything of value to register to vote or vote, a person familiar with the warning letter told 24sight News.

Robert Heberle, the head of the Justice Department’s election crimes branch, wrote in the brief warning letter to America PAC lawyer Chris Gober, that offering anything of value to influence voting was in violation of U.S. law barring payments to sway votes.

The warning letter did not specify any immediate legal action, according to the person familiar with the DOJ warning to Musk, but it did spell out the penalties for breaking U.S. voting laws, including possible imprisonment of up to five years.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,647
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565

Scylla Rhiadra

Active member
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
89
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
Oh god. Who the hell knows. 2009? 2010?
I'd love to believe this, but . . . pretty much every poll I'm seeing is showing Harris trending slowly but steadily down, especially in the "battleground" states like Pennsylvania and Michigan. I can't believe that's all the impact of fake polls.

I'm really starting to think she's going to lose this, god help us all.


 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,866
SL Rez
2007
I'd love to believe this, but . . . pretty much every poll I'm seeing is showing Harris trending slowly but steadily down, especially in the "battleground" states like Pennsylvania and Michigan. I can't believe that's all the impact of fake polls.

I'm really starting to think she's going to lose this, god help us all.


Agreed. I'm very worried about what will happen. I have no confidence Harris will win. This election is in the hands of a small number of very uneducated people in swing states no matter what the wider country wants.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,413
SLU Posts
18459
I'd love to believe this, but . . . pretty much every poll I'm seeing is showing Harris trending slowly but steadily down, especially in the "battleground" states like Pennsylvania and Michigan. I can't believe that's all the impact of fake polls.

I'm really starting to think she's going to lose this, god help us all.


I posted this earlier in the week, but it really is worth taking a look at this lengthy but very readable and accessible explanation of why polls shouldn't be taken particularly seriously


Evernote Link

Basically, the only thing we can reliably take from the polls is that neither candidate is going to win by a landslide.

In this edition, I’m going to:
  • Walk you through how modern polls work (it’s not how you think and it has changed, even since 2020);
  • Give you the tools to think smarter about polling errors and explain why official margins of error are absurdly and unjustifiably overconfident;
  • Explain where polls end up going wrong with various forms of bias;
  • Argue that—believe it or not—we still don’t know how accurate past polls have been (and may not for some time);
  • Emphasize what’s unique about this presidential election that introduces new forms of polling uncertainty.
I learned a lot from it.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,647
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
It shouldn't even be close! How are so many Americans okay with electing a traitorous, Fascist felon in any office, let alone that of the President of the United States?
This whole Trump idolization thing makes me feel ill. How can such a large portion of the population be so dumb and deluded? NJ has early in person voting starting Saturday. I know where I will be going.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
It shouldn't even be close! How are so many Americans okay with electing a traitorous, Fascist felon in any office, let alone that of the President of the United States?
Maybe because they are also traitorous, fascist felons. At least traitorous and fascist if not convicted felons.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,647
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Bucks County [PA] — one of four Philly suburban counties that proved crucial for President Joe Biden when he flipped the state from red to blue in 2020 — said in a news release Thursday that it was made aware of a video circulating Thursday afternoon on social media purporting to show mail-in ballots being opened — and destroyed.

"This video is fake," the county said.

Officials added: "The envelope and materials depicted in this video are clearly not authentic materials belonging to or distributed by the Bucks County Board of Elections."
“This type of behavior is meant to sow division and distrust in our election systems, and makes a mockery of the people working incredibly hard to ensure a free and fair election is carried out," the state's Elections Board said in a bipartisan statement. "The Board of Elections unequivocally condemns this purposeful spreading of dangerous disinformation. We will not be distracted from the job the voters of Bucks County have entrusted to us.”
Every report of something like this need to do the same: put the fear of Adonis in them that when they do it, they'll be arrested, prosecuted and imprisoned.
 

Scylla Rhiadra

Active member
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
89
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
Oh god. Who the hell knows. 2009? 2010?
I posted this earlier in the week, but it really is worth taking a look at this lengthy but very readable and accessible explanation of why polls shouldn't be taken particularly seriously


Evernote Link

Basically, the only thing we can reliably take from the polls is that neither candidate is going to win by a landslide.



I learned a lot from it.
Thank you, Innula. That was somewhat reassuring (in the same way that being reminded that only one of six chambers in the revolver contains an actual bullet is "reassuring"!)
 
  • 1Flower
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,480
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
Polls used to be able to define a Likely Voter as someone who voted in the last two elections. That assumption has been blown up by a lot of factors.

State ballot measures on abortion, gerrymandering, minimum wage, and cannabis will potentially bring a very different mix of voters in some states. Trump has mobilized non-voters in rural communities while Harris is motivating young people. There are a lot of factors in play that make this hard to model.