Nobody Cares: PRS

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I had understood that no photos of the debris have been released? This is from Friday, 2 days ago.:

Photos do not show remains of OceanGate’s Titan submersible

Just asking.
I think he may have been speaking about the Titanic wreck. Everything, and I mean everything, about this whole company/mission scares the bejeezus out of me. I am not particularly claustrophobic but, if I try to picture myself entering that sub, I feel like I would have had the mother of all panic attacks, especially during the time they would have been attaching the bolts. I think I would have been trying to escape out the small gap as they were doing that, screaming wildly, "Let me out!"

We have had many missions to the Titanic upon which we can view the wreck, both manned and unmanned.

I, too, am content with looking at the pictures online.
 
Last edited:

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
I had understood that no photos of the debris have been released? This is from Friday, 2 days ago.:

Photos do not show remains of OceanGate’s Titan submersible

Just asking.
I meant the Titanic wreck. I've seen photos and video footage of that one.
I really don't care to see the wreck of the coffin where the lunatic billionaires went sightseeing with.

Added: Ah... Jolene has beaten me with the post above mine. It seems I did not read that one careful enough the first time.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,091
SL Rez
2002
In this video, beginning at just past the 1:00 mark, the camera helpfully pans across the opening from the outside to the inside and I think you're right, that definitely looks like an inner metallic liner with a gap between it and the carbon fiber pressure hull:

Interesting number at the end: Oceangate wanted to bring every year 54 paying passengers down. This means 14 dives/year with this fragile carbon fiber structure. This means if this accident wouldn't have happened, then it was bound to happen soon enough later.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,938
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
I have seen people claiming that was actually a knockoff controller from AliExpress.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
In this video, beginning at just past the 1:00 mark, the camera helpfully pans across the opening from the outside to the inside and I think you're right, that definitely looks like an inner metallic liner with a gap between it and the carbon fiber pressure hull:

That does make sense. They have said that the hull was heated, so that would require some kind of liner. I sort of withdraw my rant above.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
That does make sense. They have said that the hull was heated, so that would require some kind of liner. I sort of withdraw my rant above.
I am not sure if he knew 100% but that youtube guy stated that he was told it was unheated and that it gets very cold at the bottom. They gave them some sort of outerwear and told them to layer up underneath. They then got weighed while holding anything they were bringing aboard. They also would leave their shoes behind as boarding the vessel.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
New information about the 19 year old Suleman Dawood. His mother states he wanted to be there, had brought a Rubik's Cube onboard and applied for a Guinness World Record for solving it 3700m below sea level. Both the mother and his sister were onboard the Polar Prince and stayed onboard during the search.

 

detrius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,664
Location
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
10065
There is another interesting thing that happened with the sub. I had been curious about the sharp dropoff in the quality of the accomodations aboard the support vessel that I was seeing in assorted videos put out by previous passengers. One of the more recent videos was made by a YouTube vlogger who was going to be given the trip for free for publicity reasons. His accomodations looked very, very different than those on the "Take Me to the Titanic" video, I posted earlier in the thread.

They had been using a different support surface vessel up until recently. He switched to the Polar Prince because the cost of renting the previous vessel went from $100K to $200K/per day. The previous support vessel had a crane onboard which would lift the sub/platform offboard. Now, the Polar Prince did not have that capability and they began to tow the Titan from St. John's port to the Titanic location on the float that was used to lower it into the water. Who knows what kinds of extra stresses were put upon it in that scenario.

In addition, I was curious about why he chose to call the passengers, "Mission specialists". It's because they put them to work each day during their trip onboard the support vessel, according to their skills. They were to attend all safety meetings, during which each "issue" would be discussed and put in a bulletpoint list. There were many issues each day. There were no days in which there weren't many issues. At one point in the youtuber's video, he called upon them all to go to work in the evening to help bring the platform the Titan sat upon back in, after some issue getting the Titan back in, which the youtuber did as did Rush's wife. Sure, nothing wrong at all with having completely untrained passengers and others performing work upon such a crucial vessel.

There were some claiming that there was actually an inner liner and that the monitor was not actually screwed into the carbon fiber hull itself. I saw this picture which does appear to support that. I don't know how thick that inner liner happens to be or what size screws they would have been using. I also do not know why we can see a gap in there. In a different video where the skin was off, he showed off some $15K non-compressible insulation. Perhaps that is what is in that space? I dunno.

Real-life Cave Johnson

 
Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
He might have also brought the rubik's cube to help keep him from freaking out.

I had to order a new headset for work on Friday. It was supposed to arrive today, but arrived on Saturday. I don't think I'm going to tell my boss it's already here, so I can have another day off the phones.

I watched Ghosts of the Abyss over the weekend. They showed that little RV banging into things inside the Titanic. All I could think is they're damaging the ship. They're speeding up the rate of decay.

ETA one of the supposed psychic mediums of TikTok claims that everyone except Paul Henri crossed over immediately. Paul Henri didn't realize he was dead at first and it was him banging, but now he is down there having a ball exploring the ocean. I have to admit that thought made me smile.
 
Last edited:

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
And that is one of the reasons he is my ex. Crawling around in one of those things to do the necessary welding for repairs is not fun and neither is worrying something has happened when he ran late.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010


Two Twitter threads which shows video of them bringing in some of the parts of the Titan. They have them covered but I see both titanium endcaps (running a sling through what would have been the viewport on one of them (that doesn't necessarily mean it was the weakpoint as it too would have imploded if caused by something else), a larger piece with what appears to be a battery (not sure if that's from the tail or from underneath near the landing gear), and what appears to be a portion of side panel with logo (also from near the tail?)

They are using the crane of the Horizon Arctic, which is the support vessel that Stockton Rush stopped using due to cost, having switched to the Polar Prince, towing the Titan behind from St. John's to the Titanic wreck site (one day's trip on the boat).
 
Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
To get an idea of what the carbon fiber may look/have looked like, when was was working up the previous prototype, Cyclops 2, they had wanted to make the caps carbon fiber as well. They ran a test on a scale sized version of it. This is the result. That is what remains of the cap.

 
  • 1OMG!
Reactions: Govi

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Now, there is mention of human remains, upon which the Marine Board of Investigation will turn over to medical professionals to conduct a formal analysis. As to the nature of what that means, I reckon the investigation will report, if public.

 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The phrase I've heard is "presumed human remains", which obliquely implies the level of damage sustained.
Yep, agreed. This is a job for a forensic pathologist and possibly other experts in assorted related fields.

This is so gruesome in a human sense, but fascinating in a scientific sense. We've come so far in these fields that even being able to determine if they are human remains and, if so, what they are, is amazing.

I tend to have a fascination with some of the sciences used in determining cause of death, links to killers, etc...Everything from the life cycle of maggots to plant and tree dna, to trace evidence and so on. There is a pretty good PBS documentary pretty old 2006 (Crime Scene Creatures), about plant and insect evidence. Another on Paramount+ from Smithsonian called "Catching Killers" that goes into the scientific details of different types of evidence, how we've progressed through time and specific cases in which the given science was used. Bless those folks willing to do those jobs.
 
Last edited: