Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Read this review of WARP. Basically, it's a data encryptor and routing service, not much more. It doesn't have much of the functionality of a true VPN. One good use I can see for it is if you have to use your device on public WiFi hotspots. But, honestly, I think you're better off overall with a true VPN.
It sure looks like a VPN to me. It's a single shared VPN for all of cloudflare's CDN, so it doesn't have many piracy-friendly features, but that doesn't make it "not a VPN" like not having server-side javascript doesn't make a webserver "not a webserver".

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I drew the line at learning to code in Java. Still use linux for servers though. Do

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I like the font. It's estimated 10% of Americans are Dyslexic and fonts like these (and Comic Sans and a couple others) help them navigate better.
I'll admit that having to opportunity to accuse the next smug graphics designer who cliches something about Comic Sans of being "ableist trash" was not on my progress bingo card, but I'm here for it.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Turns out Comic Sans and Dyslexie don't actually help that much. San-serif monospaced fonts are best for dyslexia, so toss out Comic Sans and roll up Monaco or Computer Modern Typewriter.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
God, the "don't use free fonts" rant is like '80s anti-drug propaganda.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Erich Templar

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Whats wrong with random free fonts? I mean assuming its not a dodgy exe file to "install" it.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Whats wrong with random free fonts? I mean assuming its not a dodgy exe file to "install" it.
Messy IP and creative issues.

Often a free font isn't really a free font, but rather it's free based on how you use it. Drop it in some personal project and you're fine, but employ it in a business activity and suddenly it's not free anymore. Of course with all the internet shuffling going with font downloads this won't always spelled out in the included resource files.

Often a free font is not really free at any level, it's just been thieved.

Often a free font is not much more than an experiment, with the development behind it so-so at best, may not include a full set of glyphs for even the base ASCII set, or take your pick on any number of font design concerns.

But other than that, I enjoy me a useful free font.

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I got a different take. Don't use pirated fonts from dodgy websites.
Which he completely fails to distinguish. Like old school anti-drug propoganda that makes you want to try meth because it's so ludicrous.

There are so many legitimate free fonts released under permissive licenses by their creators there's no need to use dodgy websites.

And the whole "you're gonna get horrible diseases from font files" bit is full-on reefer madness.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
There are so many legitimate free fonts released under permissive licenses by their creators there's no need to use dodgy websites.

And the whole "you're gonna get horrible diseases from font files" bit is full-on reefer madness.
Google fonts seems safe. Be sure to self host them though for EU countries. Otherwise you could get fined for revealing someone's ip address.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I honestly think I would class searching for and downloading free fonts a "high risk" activity. NOT because there's anything wrong with the font files themselves (once you finally download them) but just because most of the sites that host them are pure e-COVID, filled to the gills with exactly the kind of phony-download-button malware ads that like to trap casual users and older people; and the few relatively "good" sites there are aren't SO well-known and universally recognized that a person who only downloads fonts like once or twice a decade is going to know them and be able to tell them apart from the two dozen other e-COVID sites deliberately using a variation of their name.