Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Deadlocks are the equivalent of "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" except the second verse has the fly swallowing her.

• 1Pizza
Reactions: Khamon

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
and then the third verse is her swallowing the fly again, and so on, until the old lady dies

can has job noa/

free pizza too

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Bonsai poetry is licensed to describe a recursive deadlock in the eighth dimension.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Deadlocks are the equivalent of "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" except the second verse has the fly swallowing her.
I know deadlocks well. Happened a lot on the old Amiga.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I know deadlocks well. Happened a lot on the old Amiga.
For the same reason they happened a lot in early Minix. Message passing operating systems are prone to deadlocks if you implement your subsystems as "read a message, handle a message, pass it on, read next message". You need to "read all the messages, sort them, execute them in an appropriate order (eg, elevator algorithm, or spin off worker processes for long running requests, ....), pass them on". Monolithic kernels get you more horizontal parallelism automatically.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

The obvious response of course is "you're supposed to use deliberately wrong answers for security questions so that bad actors can't social-engineer the correct answers out of you and break into your account", and of course that's technically true but it also defeats the original intention behind security questions, which was to use personal information you're unlikely to ever forget as a hedge to retrieve a password that you might very easily forget. Since unlike correct answers wrong/fictional answers to security questions have no deeper root in your memory than passwords, they're essentially just second passwords that you're even more likely to forget than the main password because you don't have the benefit of repeated use to aid retention, so you need to write them down somewhere but you could have just done that with your actual password too so what is the point???

SL Rez
SLU Posts

The obvious response of course is "you're supposed to use deliberately wrong answers for security questions so that bad actors can't social-engineer the correct answers out of you and break into your account", and of course that's technically true but it also defeats the original intention behind security questions, which was to use personal information you're unlikely to ever forget as a hedge to retrieve a password that you might very easily forget. Since unlike correct answers wrong/fictional answers to security questions have no deeper root in your memory than passwords, they're essentially just second passwords that you're even more likely to forget than the main password because you don't have the benefit of repeated use to aid retention, so you need to write them down somewhere but you could have just done that with your actual password too so what is the point???
Yeah, forget that stuff. "What was your mother's maiden name?" asdf435r1423ewd.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 site says it has an app for Windows called WARP, which I guess functions like a VPN more or less? But I don't see any real coverage about it from sources I think of as reliable. Anyone here know if it's any good, or have a link to some reputable articles?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 site says it has an app for Windows called WARP, which I guess functions like a VPN more or less? But I don't see any real coverage about it from sources I think of as reliable. Anyone here know if it's any good, or have a link to some reputable articles?
Read this review of WARP. Basically, it's a data encryptor and routing service, not much more. It doesn't have much of the functionality of a true VPN. One good use I can see for it is if you have to use your device on public WiFi hotspots. But, honestly, I think you're better off overall with a true VPN.