Reminder: VVO Has A Discord Server

Kavik

Monkeh Foo Master
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 16th, 2006
SLU Posts
Swing by around 6PM'ish SLT. The trend I see is typically that time and later for the regular chatty types.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Swing by around 6PM'ish SLT. The trend I see is typically that time and later for the regular chatty types.
As I expected: In the middle of the night, this side of the pond. 6PM is 3 AM over here.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Well some of it is audience based participation. Be the change you want to see. If you (anyone of a number of lurking souls) just sit and wait for entertainment then you might be disappointed. The channel can be hopping anytime day or night depending on who feels chatty. Some of the blowhards (myself included) have not been as active so we need fresh blood to chat it up. Unfortunately 90%-ish of people who join never say a peep...kinda rough for a chat when everybody is silent. :p

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
The great thing about Discord is it's effortless to lurk. Then you can just check it every so often and respond to whatever. It's what I do most of the time. :hide:

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

bubblesort

I left the VVO discord, because I ran into some homophobia on the discord today, and it surprised me, coming from this community, during pride month.

Note: I probably misspelled some names and misquoted some things because I left the discord so I have nothing to reference. I won't rejoin just to get a quote to post here.

What happened: I was hanging out on the discord server, chatting a bit about Ms Marvel... and at first I thought it sucked because critics seem to be exclusively reporting on the review bombing, rather than the content of the show. If it's good, then why aren't they falling all over themselves to tell me how good the show is, instead of how bad these weirdos from 4chan are? Then I learned a bit more about Ms Marvel, from Wikipedia, and now I think the show was probably made as a culture war product by Disney, to bait culture war types into reacting (I think marketers call it 'engagement' when they piss people off). So maybe the critics are right to report on the review bombing? If it's a cynical attempt to drive 'engagement' from culture warriors, then maybe there's not much substance in the show to write about? I haven't actually seen the show yet, though, so this is all speculation. I made that clear throughout the conversation that I haven't seen the show yet but I plan to.

I was having a normal conversation about this with one or two other people, and NyteWitch kept interjecting with really nasty comments. She didn't really respond to me, she just did things like complain that I type too much. I offered to type slower for her, if that would help her reading comprehension, but she didn't seem to want any special accommodations. Then she got even more excited. I was like "switch to decaf or smoke a blunt or something" (I'm paraphrasing). She told me to, "suck a dick."

Now, my avatar on discord is a photo of my male SL avatar. Also, during the conversation I mentioned that I had a GF who was into YA fic... so she clearly assumed I was a straight man, and "suck a dick" would be an insult. She was insulting me by calling me gay. Let me repeat that...

She called me gay as an insult!

I am actually bisexual, and I had already sucked dick today, so I told her that, and then I called her out on her homophobia. At that point, many others in the discord seemed to jump on me, saying I'm wrong. How could somebody as wonderful as NyteWitch be a bigot? (at some point somebody said it's ok for her to behave like this because she's a scorpion or something? Because it's ok for scorpions to hate gay people? WTF?)

In the end, it's all there in black and white. She thinks it's humiliating for a man to suck dick. She's a bigot, and so are all the people who defended her.

So Artemis gave me a one hour time out. He did NOTHING to NyteWitch. I IMed him to tell him to fuck off and left the server.

I'm very disappointed in the VVO community on discord. I know I'm not popular, and I know you guys disagree with me a lot. I try to be nice, to get along easier, when I can. I really expected better behavior than this, though. Not only from NyteWich, but from all the people who defended her. The VVO discord really is full of bigotry and hatred. I think, at some point, Christiano will catch on to how conversations there are going and shut it down.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Nice try to run away from shit you started and post it here. You were definitely being nasty and did not want anyone to respond in kind. You were asked to take your hate to the politics channel and you did not do that and instead proceeded to insult me.

I'm use to your performance art from here and it did not bother me in the least and instead you took that and used it against Artemis who is much more calm and level headed than me. I wanted to ban you from your first message since you use nothing but vitriol and conspiracy bait. But keep on being the victim from shit you start.

And thank you for leaving...feel free to delete your account here too.

bubblesort

bubblesort your victimhood is astounding. TLDR; Come down off the cross baby, someone else could surely use the wood.
Fuck you.

You know exactly what happened. You can clearly read the logs, as easily as anybody else. You can see that not only is NyteWitch homophobic, the community came after me, personally, saying things like, "Maybe you aren't as bisexual as you think you are?", which to me, is absolutely biphobic hate speech, and I will never tolerate it. That's just one more example of the bigotry in your discord channel. Go back and you will find more.

I get it, moderation is difficult, but this isn't a moderation issue. The issue is that you are directly defending this kind of behavior, so you can fuck off.

Your pathetic little community shrinks more and more with every passing day. Most people here used SL for like 15 minutes, 20 years ago, back when 15 minutes could get you an impressive level of experience in a virtual world, because everybody else only spent 5 minutes there, because it was new. Now? How many of you can actually rig a mesh, or even know what weight painting is? Can you even UV map? There are definitely a couple of people here who know what I'm talking about, and they are awesome, but I mean... the expertise level in this forum is really garbage, compared to what it used to be. You should be on your hands and knees thanking people like me for the technical contributions I've made here in recent years. I haven't actually contributed that much, but I mean... I've done more than most people here. What has Chip Midnight has done for us lately? Oh, Chip is a great guy, though! Can't hurl hate speech at him. You want to hurl hate speech at people who make stuff.

If you guys spent less time binging on rage bait, and more time actually doing something positive in the world, whether it's in virtual worlds or not, then maybe you might attract a higher class of users in this forum, instead of the twitter slap fight inspired baby boomer bigots and trolls that you currently have.

Be a better person.

bubblesort

bubblesort your victimhood is astounding. TLDR; Come down off the cross baby, someone else could surely use the wood.
Also... I want to tell you that your block feature is broken. Over the years, people have told me that they are blocking me countless times, and every time, they respond to me after they block me. Usually they respond within 4-8 weeks. So maybe the forum forgets blocks after a certain period of time? Or maybe your users are drama queens who want to flout, but flout on one individual instead of the whole forum? IDK, not my problem. Maybe ask your bigot buddies to help you figure it out. I'm sure they will come right over in their u-haul as fast as they can, to help you out, once you tell them there's a problem.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Govi

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Discord, Twitter, and such are difficult for me to follow. Transitioning from bulletin boards to Usenet groups to forum threads seemed intuitive; but a singular flowing stream of non-contextual expressions overwhelms me. A few people only post to Twitter so I follow them there; and some gaming communities only post in Discord so I search those channels as needed. But this forum atmosphere is far more comfortable for me and I'm glad you're all still here.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Discord, Twitter, and such are difficult for me to follow. Transitioning from bulletin boards to Usenet groups to forum threads seemed intuitive; but a singular flowing stream of non-contextual expressions overwhelms me. A few people only post to Twitter so I follow them there; and some gaming communities only post in Discord so I search those channels as needed. But this forum atmosphere is far more comfortable for me and I'm glad you're all still here.
When the Discord first started it was fun. Then I left for a while. Tried it once or twice after. So much has been added, I was completely lost. I haven't tried it since.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Come down off the cross baby, someone else could surely use the wood.
Did I ever thank you for the one time you ever said that to me? If not, thank you!