Blender news

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
5 years into seriously working with Blender and every now and then I'm still coming across these like extremely basic shortcuts and tricks that just completely blow me away

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: bubblesort and Govi

bubblesort

Ubisoft just released a plugin for blender called Mixer. It makes blender multiplayer! So if you miss the old school SL sandbox experience, just set up a room and invite random people to come greif you collaborate with you!

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Ubisoft just released a plugin for blender called Mixer. It makes blender multiplayer! So if you miss the old school SL sandbox experience, just set up a room and invite random people to come greif you collaborate with you!

But can you sit on things people are working on? :p

• 2LOL
Reactions: Govi and bubblesort

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Hey guys, remember this?

By the way - not really SL-relevant, but more for Blender users generally. If anyone had any questions about the power of 2.8's "Eevee" realtime rendering engine, this video was rendered using Eevee. In fact, aside from the real-life video and RL photos used for texture sources, this entire project was made, lighted, and even composited entirely inside Blender. It's powerful, yo; this is easily TV-show quality stuff.

Well the completed project was published today:

Make sure to watch all the way to the end of the video ^^

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts

I wonder how useful this would be for some of the Second Life Blender classes actually.

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
End of an Era!

The FINAL Blender 2 build, Blender 2.93 LTS, has been released. Includes plenty of goodies that are namedropped in that showcase video (I love those things), but you can find them described in a little more detail here:

The next Blender version release, which is coming later this year, will be BLENDER 3. Along with a shift to a new (for Blender), more orthodox versioning number scheme.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is going to be a pay course but these two video clips already tell me I NEED to buy it.

I'm not aware of any digital figure (or even just head) sculpting course that actually teaches proportions like this! Every single one I've seen has you just import a diagram or photograph to use like a blueprint to sculpt over.

The clips are sneak peeks of what sounds like a super-comprehensive course that's being published in November.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: Govi and Beebo Brink

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
This is going to be a pay course but these two video clips already tell me I NEED to buy it.

I'm not aware of any digital figure (or even just head) sculpting course that actually teaches proportions like this! Every single one I've seen has you just import a diagram or photograph to use like a blueprint to sculpt over.

The clips are sneak peeks of what sounds like a super-comprehensive course that's being published in November.

Pay beyond a cgcookie membership? Or is it part of it?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
It looks like it's included if you have a CGC membership like all their courses, but you'll also be able to buy it standalone on the Blender Market. I think I read something about CGC getting rid of monthly subs and going annual, so it might actually be cheaper to just buy it if you're not already a member.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
It looks like it's included if you have a CGC membership like all their courses, but you'll also be able to buy it standalone on the Blender Market. I think I read something about CGC getting rid of monthly subs and going annual, so it might actually be cheaper to just buy it if you're not already a member.
I'm a grandfathered sub... and Kent's a good teacher.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The actual trailer for Kent's course was published today. The course comes out next month. The video includes availability details.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: bubblesort

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Trailers for video courses.

That's not weird.

:hellokitty:

• 1ROFL

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Trailers for video courses.

That's not weird.

:hellokitty:
It doubles as an ad, I suppose. It's a paid course after all, you gotta convince people it's worth the price.

• 1Agree

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Some important Blender news, mostly for people who use it kinda often.

Blender 4.0 is presently in alpha and is expected to reach release sometime this November. There are as always some super cool new features and also some big technical changes. They're talking Python API changes and mesh format changes, and they're important and drastic enough that there's going to be some compatibility issues. The end-user impact here is that Blender versions older than 3.6 won't be able to correctly open files made in Blender 4.0 and afterwards.

Blender 3.6 is the current version as of this post and is an LTS version as well, so if you're not on it already, it is HIGHLY suggested that you update to it, if you think you might be wanting to open some 4.0+ files in an earlier Blender version for some reason. If worse comes to worst, Blender 3.6 will be able to convert 4.0+ files into a format that pre-3.6 Blenders will be able to read, so you can use 3.6 as a conversion tool that way if needed. Just be aware that obviously there will be some missing data when it comes to 4.0+ features that earlier versions don't have - and also some small changes that you just might not expect. For one example, Blender 4.0 will be combining the Glossy and Isotropic BSDF shaders into one single Glossy BSDF with an Isotropy control inside it, and the change causes a weirdness that means any Glossy shader in a 4.0 file will appear as an Anisotropy shader when opened in older Blender versions.

But yeah so, better information about the details will be coming out but expect widespread improvements in all Blender workflows and functions. Blender 2.8 introduced Grease Pencil as a full-realized 2D-inside-3D workflow; it was greatly expanded in 3.x and will be getting updates in 4.0 as well, but I'm sad to say I've mostly ignored it because I'm just not really a 2D artist for the most part, so it hasn't really attracted me as a major feature. On the other hand, I think starting later this year I'm going to take some real time to genuinely dive into the Geometry Nodes system in Blender. It was also introduced in 3.x and I also mostly haven't paid attention to it before now, because I didn't really understand it that much. Normal mesh modeling isn't going anywhere (don't worry) and geometry nodes aren't meant to replace it, but to be another toolset to use alongside it - like sculpting; but what geometry and simulation nodes ARE starting to replace bit by bit is Blender's legacy and long-neglected particle system. I have a feeling that when geo nodes reach real feature parity with them - however long that takes to happen - the old particle system is eventually going away but even aside from that I've seen enough recently to convince me that there is some real power and utility in geo nodes, and I think they're going to be a major part of the foreseeable future in Blender, so it's time to bite the bullet and just start learning them already.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Blender 4.0 came out a week ago - currently 4.0.1 - but since a couple of days after its release, the website - Blender.org - has been under a massive DDOS attack, which finally seems to have stopped only yesterday. Why the heck would someone DDOS Blender???

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Blender 4.0 came out a week ago - currently 4.0.1 - but since a couple of days after its release, the website - Blender.org - has been under a massive DDOS attack, which finally seems to have stopped only yesterday. Why the heck would someone DDOS Blender???
Sometimes I wonder if some of these DDOS attacks are not actually DDOS attacks but just, the people underestimated demmand and the server could not handle it.