Blender news

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
absolutely some people who felt this was the worst decision
The second will save the day from a lot of the first's muscle memory derp I have from over a decade of Blender experience. :D

Always hilarious though working in Blender for an hour, shifting to SL and immediately deleting your skybox when you try to upload the mesh.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
They could use control-click for the context menu. That would at least be familiar for Mac users. Or just let right-click-select die as it soundly deserves to.

And I remember browsing the Extrovirtual store and getting suddenly buried as the Deleter of Floors struck again.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The second will save the day from a lot of the first's muscle memory derp I have from over a decade of Blender experience. :D

Always hilarious though working in Blender for an hour, shifting to SL and immediately deleting your skybox when you try to upload the mesh.
I can't say that I've ever done that. But, it's always awesome spending hours in Blender and then loading up SL and arguing with your freaking camera.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Okay so, if you've already been using Blender a while, maybe you don't need or want to start with "what is Blender?"-level fundamentals. Maybe you just wanna know where things you already know how to use have been moved to, so you know where they are and you can get right into the business of adapting to the new UI by working. In that case, here's yer vid.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio and Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
If you've been keeping an eye out, you'll have noticed that all the new 2.8 tutorials are popping up in all the expected places. I'd like to bring your attention to one sort of series-of-serieses(?) on a channel by a guy named Grant Abbitt. His sort of "beginners' course" starts with this very simple introductory scene:

The modeling in this scene is incredibly simplistic - low poly even by low poly standards - but then goes on to also teach shading, lighting, some volumetric effects, and finally rendering, and that's why I like it so much; a lot of beginner tutorials might spend a lot of time modeling a single complex object or two, then briefly touch on a little shading maybe, and then that's it. This tutorial's scene is very basic-looking, but it's a still complete scene, so you learn things that a lot of other popular tutorials might leave out but yet still don't get overwhelmed with complexity.

After that series, you go on to do a little more complex modeling when making this well, which is designed in the style of a more typical low-poly game asset:

And finally you make this really neat "Sea Shack":

Which is more complex yet, plus optionally at the end you get to learn a little bit of animation for some parts of it.

Abbitt has plenty more tutorials on his channel though, covering other things like sculpting and animation in Blender, so it's well worth a look even if you don't intend to take the beginner tutorials.