Blender news

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
absolutely some people who felt this was the worst decision
The second will save the day from a lot of the first's muscle memory derp I have from over a decade of Blender experience. :D

Always hilarious though working in Blender for an hour, shifting to SL and immediately deleting your skybox when you try to upload the mesh.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
They could use control-click for the context menu. That would at least be familiar for Mac users. Or just let right-click-select die as it soundly deserves to.

And I remember browsing the Extrovirtual store and getting suddenly buried as the Deleter of Floors struck again.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The second will save the day from a lot of the first's muscle memory derp I have from over a decade of Blender experience. :D

Always hilarious though working in Blender for an hour, shifting to SL and immediately deleting your skybox when you try to upload the mesh.
I can't say that I've ever done that. But, it's always awesome spending hours in Blender and then loading up SL and arguing with your freaking camera.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Okay so, if you've already been using Blender a while, maybe you don't need or want to start with "what is Blender?"-level fundamentals. Maybe you just wanna know where things you already know how to use have been moved to, so you know where they are and you can get right into the business of adapting to the new UI by working. In that case, here's yer vid.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
If you've been keeping an eye out, you'll have noticed that all the new 2.8 tutorials are popping up in all the expected places. I'd like to bring your attention to one sort of series-of-serieses(?) on a channel by a guy named Grant Abbitt. His sort of "beginners' course" starts with this very simple introductory scene:

The modeling in this scene is incredibly simplistic - low poly even by low poly standards - but then goes on to also teach shading, lighting, some volumetric effects, and finally rendering, and that's why I like it so much; a lot of beginner tutorials might spend a lot of time modeling a single complex object or two, then briefly touch on a little shading maybe, and then that's it. This tutorial's scene is very basic-looking, but it's a still complete scene, so you learn things that a lot of other popular tutorials might leave out but yet still don't get overwhelmed with complexity.

After that series, you go on to do a little more complex modeling when making this well, which is designed in the style of a more typical low-poly game asset:

And finally you make this really neat "Sea Shack":

Which is more complex yet, plus optionally at the end you get to learn a little bit of animation for some parts of it.

Abbitt has plenty more tutorials on his channel though, covering other things like sculpting and animation in Blender, so it's well worth a look even if you don't intend to take the beginner tutorials.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
If donuts aren't your thing, and low-poly isn't your style (it's not mine!), CG Boost has a tutorial series which teaches you Blender 2.8 while making this photorealistic scene of a bowl of fresh apples:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Moar links! Buncha links, even!

Okay, here's links to two courses from a site called CGCookie. They're a subscription-based learning site that offers self-paced courses for Blender and also for Unity. They don't offer courses strictly in "Blender for Second Life" or "Unity for Sansar", they teach 3DCG creation and game dev using these tools and it's up to you to apply whatever skills you learn to your specific use-case.

Anyway, yeah, the site is subscription-based; but I'm posting links to these particular courses because they are FREE and available to the public.

The first is their 2.8 Basics course that teaches you the fundamentals of how to use Blender, as if 2.8 is the first 3D software you've ever used - much like the above-linked tutorials and series. (They had a similar 2.7x course which is still available and also free, but...srsly why would you want to?)

The second, and possibly much more interesting to some of you, is their Moving from 2.7x to 2.8 course, which is a set of videos about changes in functionality, UI, and controls between older Blender and the new version. There are plenty of videos of this kind around on YouTube, but they are often from the 2.8 beta or even alpha days and are outdated; and even when they're not, the videos can be 45 minutes to an hour or even longer in some cases. By contrast, the course at the link divides all the changes up into a legion of much shorter, labeled videos of only a couple of minutes each, and arranged into categories. So you can of course watch them all if you want, but if you're looking for information on a few very specific changes you don't have to sit through hours of video hoping the information you're looking for surfaces - you can go directly to the section or even specific video(s) that meet your needs and just watch those. You don't have to watch the section on say animation changes if you're not interested in the least in animating with Blender.

I wanna take a minute here to also point out CGCookie's YouTube page, which is very active. Although their most recent course material (except for free courses, which are often also posted to the YouTube channel) is kept on the website and subscription-based as I said, they've put tons of their older material on YouTube, covering topics from modeling to sculpting to rigging to animation and every other thing you can do with Blender. Really, it's a shockingly large amount of material, almost certainly surpassing the average number of hours of instruction for an actual degree from a professional art school, and it is free. Of course this older stuff that makes it onto the YouTube tends to use (sometimes much) older versions of Blender; but the techniques and concepts they teach are just as valid, so as long as you are comfortable working in 2.8 and don't let yourself get hung up on UI differences in the videos there's no reason you can't learn from them. They also post recordings of livestreams; to be able to access and participate in the livestreams actually live, you usually need to be a paid subscriber, but again the recorded streams are just open to the public.

OK just so that this post isn't just an ad for that one website, today I learned about this: The Blender Tutorial Bible - 150 Handpicked BlenderTutorials Many of the tutorials/series I've linked in the last few posts appear in this list, but the list covers far more than just "intro" tutorials. It is divided into categories, so you can focus on a certain aspect of 3D content, like environments, characters, or hard-surface modeling, etc. There's still no "making stuff for SL" tutorials here; but for instance you should be able to go to the "game assets" category and do/watch a few of those tutorials, and they'll PRESUMABLY teach you all the relevant stuff like how to optimize mesh for games and texture atlasing etc (I haven't actually watched all of these, so YMMV though) that you need to know for making something for SL, with the exception of the last couple of steps of exporting from Blender and then importing into SL which you'll have to find elsewhere.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Niiiiice:

That's especially good news to me as a Radeon fan; for the last year or so, RTX compatibility and tools (for the very newest Nvidia cards) has really dominated all the talk about render functionality modernization and while I haven't exactly been panicking, I admit it's made me a little anxious.

The Blender Conference begins today; it's an annual meeting of Blender devs and users which takes place in Amsterdam. There's usually a number of good talks and technical demos that come out of it, they get posted to Blender's YouTube channel afterwards.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Oh here, have a tutorial:

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Trifina

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Have another video! Actually, if you're really interested in 3D creation - whether for SL or otherwise - I think it's worth your while to check out these guys' channels. Their videos aren't really "tutorials", insofar as they don't say "okay here's a complete thing and in this video we're going to show you exactly how to make the thing step by step". Rather, they're like short talks or lessons about more general topics, such as this one:

Not every video they make will be relevant to you of course; but you will probably find a lot of them useful in some way.

The Blender Conference just wrapped up this past weekend, and Blender's YouTube channel has videos of many of the talks available. Unless you're -seriously into Blender- like I am, most of them will not be of any interest to you I think; but as a generally interesting video to watch, I recommend this one, which also happens to be the most watched of all the conference videos so far. It's a talk by the same guy who did that one-minute tutorial I posted earlier:

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
OMG this guy...

Pablo is the dev who's been rebuilding Blender's sculpting tools. Some of his new tools will be present in 2.81, which comes out this month; others will come out with 2.82 next spring.

The stuff he's been coming up with makes me feel strange feelings - and this stuff is going to be official Blender features, not an addon.