Police Brutality Protests Thread

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but it's a story about modern day "Indentured Servitude". That's how I see it anyway. Make one mistake in your life time that pulls you into the American anti-justice system and you are f***ed for life. Seriously.

In a stark example that seems drawn from a century ago, in Mississippi, judges can give indefinite sentences for people to work off their restitution and court debt at one of the state’s four “restitution centers.” Debtors work for private employers with sentences that can last as long as it takes to pay off their debt. Three quarters of the money people “earn” in these centers goes to the courts and corrections department, and half of the people in the centers were working off less than $3,515 in debt.
In my Dad's day, they called this the "chain gang". We really seem to like to punish people in the US. We aren't to big on reform or second chances, but it sure does seem like our government and elected politicians like to pile shit on people. 💩

The evidence is now overwhelming that the explosion of criminal justice debt deepens the system’s racial inequities and blocks millions of Americans from the capacity to earn a living and care for their families. We need to call for state and local governments to fund the police and criminal justice system through general revenues or widespread forms of financing instead of such fines and fees. This would both increase second chances and administrative efficiency. The Brennan Center reports that it costs states and local government a whopping 121 times more to collect funds through fines and fees than it costs the IRS to collect the same amount of revenue. And while we undergo a national re-examination of cash bail and other forms of criminalization of poverty, we should make a flat determination to stop jailing anyone for failure to pay criminal justice fines and fees due to poverty or lack of income or savings.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
More on what I posted about indentured servitude

In Washington state, one woman, who asked to remain anonymous to protect her incarcerated spouse, said that 35 percent of her husband’s CARES Act check was garnished before it was deposited in his account. A portion of the deduction was even given back to the prison as a “cost of incarceration.”
These people are in prison - how much more should they pay? As it is, when they leave the prison they generally have no where to go, no money and can't find a job because they were convicted of a crime. Yet our system finds even new ways to torture them.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
One of the many things about this qualified immunity malarky, which we don't have in the UK, is why a judge is settling what seems to me a jury question -- was the force used reasonable in the light of officers' understanding of all the circumstances at the time, bearing in mind it was a split-second decision in a highly-charged situation?

That seems to me preeminently a question of fact for a jury to answer, and I have difficulty believing any jury could say it was reasonable to use a taser on the late Mr Olivas under the circumstances, though maybe it's different in Texas.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ellie

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Guy Fawkes wanted that for Britain, so, perfect.
LOL. I know that the way V for Vendetta used him is radically different than his actual politics... but either way, American Trumpers are far removed from either. they aren't radical Catholics (in general) or leftist anarchists.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
LOL. I know that the way V for Vendetta used him is radically different than his actual politics... but either way, American Trumpers are far removed from either. they aren't radical Catholics (in general) or leftist anarchists.
And Joe Biden is a Catholic anyway, and the Trumpers most certainly don't want to remove him so that Hunter Biden can be installed in his place (as the men behind the Gunpowder Plot planned to replace James with his daughter Elizabeth).

Neither Anonymous nor MAGA know their history too well, it would seem.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
And Joe Biden is a Catholic anyway, and the Trumpers most certainly don't want to remove him so that Hunter Biden can be installed in his place (as the men behind the Gunpowder Plot planned to replace James with his daughter Elizabeth).

Neither Anonymous nor MAGA know their history too well, it would seem.
right, that's what I'm saying. I don't think there is any way to use Guy Fawk's image wtihout sounding very ignorant. The actual politics of Guy Fawks is too obsolete in the modern world and the comic book's politics are mostly incoherent.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
And to Brits, of course, it all seems a lot odder, because the Gunpowder Plot is very much our history and popular culture, in a way that the fourth of July is particular to the US.

(I was taught latin at school by the great-[???]-great grandson of one of the conspirators).

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
And to Brits, of course, it all seems a lot odder, because the Gunpowder Plot is very much our history and popular culture, in a way that the fourth of July is particular to the US.

(I was taught latin at school by the great-[???]-great grandson of one of the conspirators).
May help sort how many greats ?

“How it really feels to reenact the death of my own relatives every Bonfire Night”

I had heard that certain members of the consiprators' families can still not own land in the Uk, any idea if that's true?

A little more on GF

The Misunderstood Legacy of Guy Fawkes

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
A Des Moines Register reporter arrested while covering a racial justice protest last summer testified in her own defense Tuesday, in a rare trial of a U.S. journalist charged with a crime while reporting.

Andrea Sahouri, a public safety reporter for the Register, had been covering a chaotic protest and looting at a mall on May 31. While clearing the area, police pepper-sprayed and arrested her and her then-boyfriend, Spenser Robnett. They have both pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor charges, failure to disperse and interference with official acts, that carry sentences of up to 30 days in jail.
Trial nears end for Des Moines Register reporter Andrea Sahouri - The Washington Post

• 1Angry
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale