Police Brutality Protests Thread

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
While Oregon has a reputation as liberal, that only applies to the Willamette and Tualatin valleys from about the mid-1960s. The state has a long history of racism, and was a hub of Klan activity in the 1920s. As for the Portland Police, I lived downtown during parts of the Regan and Bush administrations. They have a long history of harassing people. Protests were usually followed by police riots.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I wasn't saying anyone was wrong just that it seemed like some are seeing Salem as Portland. You might be surprised at how many people there are that can't name the 50 capitols correctly. They name 50 cities but some of them are incorrect because capitols have been moved at times. Like, Houston hasn't been the capitol of TX since 1839 yet I know people who will name it as the current capitol completely forgetting Austin even exists (and they were born and raised in TX!). They just aren't paying attention to what is being said or what they are reading. That seems to be the reaction of many people to what happened in Salem. They think it happened in Portland.

I am not saying anyone here on VVO thinks that. I haven't seen anyone voice that opinion. Just in case that isn't as obvious as I think it is.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
For reference as to where Brooklyn Center is, it is an inner suburb right next door to North Mpls.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The weird thing is, I was there an hour before things got started nearly a year ago. I had arranged to buy an HP slim profile laptop on CraigsList and that was the meetup spot.

I had no expectation that anything would happen, really, besides a normal peaceful protest, and almost decided to step into Aldi's for a quick grocery pickup. But after buying the laptop, I felt a sudden urgency to get out of there. I've never felt such a compelling need to leave a place so hard and fast as then, and it wasn't because there were any people hanging out, the lot was empty except for some cars ringing the shops and Lake Street really isn't all that awful - the area around Hiawatha is pretty normal, really, from my own experiences there. I've hung around worst places.

I was a bit scared, sure, but fear wasn't the compelling force. Just a need to leave. I still don't know why.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The police are saying now that the officer *meant* to use taser NOT gun. Small or no comfort to his loved ones.

Still, this looting has pissed me right off. Brookdale was torn down, a Walmart replaced it, with a bunch of surrounding smaller businesses. They went after those. Brrand spanking new and the very rare development we ever see over here.Fucking pisses me off. How many of those looters do you think gave a shit about this young man's life?

There isn't much left over here N. side TO loot. I wonder why. Businesses leave behind their carcasses when they leave, unlike suburbs where they tear down the buildings for development, at least allowing it. They feel free to leave behind their garbage here. So do our citizens, it seems.

Can't wait to get out of Mpls. Between the bad cops who don't even bother answering 911 calls and my own fellow brethren, I've had enough.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

I'm going to take some persuading about "accidental discharge."

His intent may well be important in determining the degree of culpability, and probably the specific level of homicide with which he should be charged, but I don't see how this can be anything other than an unlawful killing of some sort, unless the police really are above the law.

You don't ever point guns at people unless you're prepared to kill them, and you assume guns are always loaded, even when you know they're not.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Even if the officer thought they had drawn their taser, it is Involuntary Manslaughter. That includes causing a death through negligence.
I'm not at all sure how you mistake a handgun for a taser, and don't notice your mistake even after you've drawn and aimed it.

Aren't the weights and balances going to feel all wrong, thus alerting him to the fact he was holding a pistol, not a taser, and wouldn't he have had to move the safety catch?