How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

I'm very glad that the Good Law Project are pushing this, and that the courts continue to uphold the law against Boris Johnson's government's impatience with technical legal points like "are we allowed to do this?"

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm just about finished with The Black Death history series offered by Great Courses. Other than a few tidbits here and there, I didn't learn anything new; I've read numerous plague books over the years that covered the same basic material. What was new, however, was my changed perspective in hearing the familiar facts. Since I'm currently living in the midst of a pandemic, my reaction is quite heightened to the emotional impact of the experience all those centuries ago.

What stood out to me this time around was the long-term duration of the plague. The 1347 start of the plague is always the date that I've remembered, and I paid much less attention to the subsequent plague outbreaks. But tonight, as I heard those dates being recited, showing the resurgence of plague every few decades for the next 200 years, I made the connection to the present day. For all that we've been through this past year, it's nothing compared to the 50% mortality rate of the plague, but it's been enough to be quite disruptive of our economy and our society, putting pressure on the fractures that were already present. Now imagine that various coronavirus mutations (and other as yet unimagined diseases) continue to sweep over the globe at periodic intervals, just a decade or two apart.

We get innoculated to this COVID-19 strain and begin to resume our "normal" pre-pandemic lives, only to have another pandemic wave in 2029. Then something different in 2037 that takes a few years to quell, only to be hit by a mutated coronavirus in 2051. Plague of one sort or another arises in 2070, and 2093, then 2112, and on and on until 2200. It's a rather sobering thought.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
We get innoculated to this COVID-19 strain and begin to resume our "normal" pre-pandemic lives, only to have another pandemic wave in 2029.
We have already been in the pattern of epidemics and pandemics every few decades (or more frequently), just haven't affected the West nearly to the same extent.

I'd like to think we can learn from this experience but I expect most of us will forget soon enough.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
We get innoculated to this COVID-19 strain and begin to resume our "normal" pre-pandemic lives, only to have another pandemic wave in 2029. Then something different in 2037 that takes a few years to quell, only to be hit by a mutated coronavirus in 2051. Plague of one sort or another arises in 2070, and 2093, then 2112, and on and on until 2200. It's a rather sobering thought.
When I asked my doctors about whether the vaccine would be effective against the COVID variants, I was told that the key to that is the virus's protein, and so far, that's the same. My brother also added that if it did change the mRNA vaccines can be adapted very quickly.
If the flu vaccine is any indication, they will track any mutations and tweak the vaccine accordingly.
Perhaps there will be booster shots.
So from the sound of it we're not going to be hit this hard again.
Unless, of course, we get another anti -science thin skinned "stable genius" in the White House.
Or the same one. Now that scares me, because if he were true to form he'd undo any good Biden manages to do especially if it involves Fauci.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

• 1LOL
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Dan Rather expressed my frustration much better than I can...

When news broke of a COVID-19 vaccine, in truths multiple vaccines, I couldn't wait to get one.
I also know my privilege and felt compelled not to try to jump ahead in any line. I just wanted to know what line to get into.
I just want to get in the right line, so I can get it as soon as possible.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
When I asked my doctors about whether the vaccine would be effective against the COVID variants, I was told that the key to that is the virus's protein, and so far, that's the same. My brother also added that if it did change the mRNA vaccines can be adapted very quickly.
If the flu vaccine is any indication, they will track any mutations and tweak the vaccine accordingly.
Perhaps there will be booster shots.
I'm not sure what I was watching, but it was a recent news item where they interviewed genetic scientists who have been working on vaccines. They've discovered a technique that allows them to do simple cut/paste operations on the genome, effectively like switching out the bomb load on an airplane. The man who developed this technique thinks we will be able to offer exactly what you're saying before much longer.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm not sure what I was watching, but it was a recent news item where they interviewed genetic scientists who have been working on vaccines. They've discovered a technique that allows them to do simple cut/paste operations on the genome, effectively like switching out the bomb load on an airplane. The man who developed this technique thinks we will be able to offer exactly what you're saying before much longer.
I think he was an Israeli.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau