Willow, I couldn't agree more.
I've never hated Trump because he is so broken that nothing he does if his own volition; he has no control over himself and his impulses. I don't loathe a rabid dog for foaming at the mouth, I just stay out of its way. A whole host of parasites used him for their own agendas, and they're actually more culpable than he is.
My reaction is probably formed by my own family experiences. My mother-in-law was schizophrenic and I watched as too many of her children blamed her for not being the mother they needed. Of them all, only my wife really grasped that their mother was incapable, not unwilling, to be that woman. You don't ask a person with broken legs to run a marathon.
I've always agreed with the words of that great political philosopher Michael Corleone, in
Godfather III: Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.
Nevertheless, I do believe that it's very important that wealthy and powerful criminals face the consequences of their criminality, and Trump certainly faces a very long and daunting indictment.
If it really is the case that his undoubted mental abnormality and instability genuinely did, at the time of the offending behaviour, render him incapable of forming a criminal intent, then there must be an appropriate disposal open to the courts, just as there must be one if his current mental state leaves him incapable of understanding the charges against him or properly following and participating his defence.
But, to my mind, the full force of the criminal law has to be brought to bear on him and his associates as soon as possible, simply to maintain, or at least try to restore, public confidence in the criminal justice system.
He and his circle can't simply be allowed to walk away scot-free to enjoy the fruits of their massive criminality because they're too big to fail (which they aren't).