Status
Not open for further replies.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
It's my understanding that the Greatest Generation were cohorts of my mother and father and older. That puts the youngest of the group currently at about 98 or 99 diminishing the impact of this ad.

In the US COVID impacts baby boomers the most.
You forgot a whole generation in there, and they're more at risk than Boomers; my mother's generation, those who grew up with either older siblings or parents that -were- the GI/Greatest Generation. My mother's mom would be 102 this year [she almost made it to 99, so....] and her husband was at Pearl Harbour. The Silent Generation is still around though, in their mid 70s to I guess early 90s?

But what do you think the whole MAGA BS is? Its an appeal to the 'Good Old Days' and nationalistic pride. That ad? Its brilliant; turning that pride around and actually pointing out how to -have- it for real.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
You forgot a whole generation in there, and they're more at risk than Boomers; my mother's generation, those who grew up with either older siblings or parents that -were- the GI/Greatest Generation. My mother's mom would be 102 this year [she almost made it to 99, so....] and her husband was at Pearl Harbour. The Silent Generation is still around though, in their mid 70s to I guess early 90s?

But what do you think the whole MAGA BS is? Its an appeal to the 'Good Old Days' and nationalistic pride. That ad? Its brilliant; turning that pride around and actually pointing out how to -have- it for real.
From the Mediaite article:

The ad launched Sunday online and with a targeted digital buy focusing on select states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, and South Carolina — all of which voted for Trump in 2016, and also have significant military and veteran populations.
The way digital campaigning works, or so I understand, is you try to get particular target groups sharing and talking about what you want them to share and talk about, with a good deal of microtargeting to particular demographics.

So I assume this calculated to resonate particularly with certain groups -- if it does, it's done its job.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Sovereignty

SL Rez

Yes, I did skip them. Maybe cause they were silent? Probably because a whole generation, as it were, passed through between my parents and their children which in my head turned into one generation and the next.

The silent ones would be the hardest hit which still supports my criticism.

The ad just seemed lame to me in contrast to the other ones.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

In addition to that, I would think that both boomers and Gen X hold respect for the greatest generation having been their parents and grandparents. I know I do. On the other hand there seems to be some kind of dichotomy at work as well. Some folks don't seem to have any understanding of just what the greatest generation fought against. I can't really write that off to lack of education as the two following generations generally received a good education, including history, and many, if not most had direct contact with vets in their families. It's as if the propaganda and cultish nature of supporting Trump has overridden both.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Yes, I did skip them. Maybe cause they were silent? Probably because a whole generation, as it were, passed through between my parents and their children which in my head turned into one generation and the next.

I tend to remember them, now I know about them, because they were treated the same way my generation was [X'd out, as it were]. The thing is though, is I think that's a really effective ad for the right people. Hell, it resonates with me and I don't need convincing that we need Twitler -gone-

• 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Actually, I'd never heard of the silent generation until today.

This generation naming fad didn't start until quite recently. Before that people named decades some though I think the Roaring Twenties and Swinging Sixties were the only names with traction.

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Actually, I'd never heard of the silent generation until today.

This generation naming fad didn't start until quite recently. Before that people named decades some though I think the Roaring Twenties and Swinging Sixties were the only names with traction.
Started with the Lost Generation, which was the generation that fought WWI, actually - someone went back and named generations before that, but Lost is, according to search, the first one to be named, in a Gertrude Stein book....

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
It's my understanding that the Greatest Generation were cohorts of my mother and father and older. That puts the youngest of the group currently at about 98 or 99 diminishing the impact of this ad.

In the US COVID impacts baby boomers the most.
I've heard and read so many stories of younger people being seriously impacted that I'm not sure how accurate that is anymore.
I know a whole family that had it--all younger than the definition of "Boomer" age.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

The gen x of the early twentieth century.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
This generation naming fad didn't start until quite recently.
The Baby Boom got its name immediately as it happened, when soldiers returned from WWII, and shortly thereafter the birth rate spiked. That was like 1946. Calling the people born from 1946-1964 "boomers" is recent, but they were called "the Baby Boom generation" for a long time, because of their impact on society. They required new housing, new schools, etc. from sheer numbers. Marketers started creating names for the other generations more recently, as in "we're aiming this product at the ____ generation".

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Iran issued today an arrest warrant against Donald Trump and many others, and asked Interpol for help. The reason why it was issued it the killing of General Soleimani.

Also:

US envoy said:
“This is a political nature. This has nothing to do with national security, international peace or promoting stability ... It is a propaganda stunt that no-one takes seriously.”
😂😂 Anyone from this administration having the nerve to get indignant about propaganda stunts. 😂😂 And thinking they're the ones who should be taken seriously. 😂😂.

Interpol won't do anything, of course.

Interpol said in a statement that its constitution forbade it to undertake “any intervention or activities of a political, military, religious or racial character”.
It's a fun idea, though.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Also:

😂😂 Anyone from this administration having the nerve to get indignant about propaganda stunts. 😂😂 And thinking they're the ones who should be taken seriously. 😂😂.

Interpol won't do anything, of course.

It's a fun idea, though.
If Iran wants it they can have it.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
McEnany: Trump shared video of man shouting 'white power' to stand with 'demonized' supporters

So, the official line from the Press Secretary is that Trump shared the video of the man shouting "White power" to "stand up for and with" his "demonized" supporters. Something, something deplorables.

Trump, we already knew who you "stand with" in particular after your both sides comments after Charlottesville. Some have known for decades after your page-length ad calling for the death penalty for the Central Park Five. Some have known for decades about you and your family's rental property history is it relates illegal discrimination.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
McEnany: Trump shared video of man shouting 'white power' to stand with 'demonized' supporters

So, the official line from the Press Secretary is that Trump shared the video of the man shouting "White power" to "stand up for and with" his "demonized" supporters. Something, something deplorables.

Trump, we already knew who you "stand with" in particular after your both sides comments after Charlottesville. Some have known for decades after your page-length ad calling for the death penalty for the Central Park Five. Some have known for decades about you and your family's rental property history is it relates illegal discrimination.
It complains about deplorables, which was taken out of context. Yeah, right. From where I sit I will proudly call ANY orange turd voter a deplorable as they clearly do not care at all about anyone who is not a mirror of them, or what harm they experience, but want everything for themselves.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Hell, they call themselves deplorables. They're proud of being assholes.
So let me get this straight, then...Ms McEnemy is saying that her boss tweeted it that video to stand with his demonized supporters. Who are demonized for being Nazis. So if they're admitting he stands with Nazis, why pretend he didn't hear the guy yelling "white power" ?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale
Status
Not open for further replies.