Your most regrettable SL purchase

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
It would have to be the *bits* I bought. It really was more about curiosity than anything else. I wanted to see just what they had to offer that wasn't available otherwise. Underwhelming might be one word to use my reaction upon wearing it. To this day, it remains unused in the classical sense.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
It would have to be the *bits* I bought. It really was more about curiosity than anything else. I wanted to see just what they had to offer that wasn't available otherwise. Underwhelming might be one word to use my reaction upon wearing it. To this day, it remains unused in the classical sense.
Very similarly, I bought a set of Xcite "bits" very early on in my SL. They were hella expensive for the budget I was on at the time and buying them deprived me of several weeks worth of other purchases. In the end they were very disappointing and were never used.

Selinica

Do as I say not as I do
SL Rez
Joined SLU
3/11/2013
SLU Posts
I'd have to say it would be the one skin I bought. I decided to start moving my avatar to looking more like me IRL, and I spent a while finding skins and doing demos and spent what for me was a fair penny (so basically not much at all) on a skin that was a good color match for me IRL.
Then the bento news came out and stuff got released and I did demos and had sold some stuff and had a little spending money so ended up in a full mesh all new look.
The skin wasn't bad or anything, it was just poor timing on my part.

Then of course I spent 5kL$ on the head and hud each and hours adjusting the shape to where it's close enough then just recently I find out a bunch of issues and other things I hadn't really noticed and ended up saving up to switch over to a better one from a less... rude creator, shall we say.
Whoops. Patience would have helped me there, so I guess that is also a regrettable purchase.

• 1Aww
Reactions: Pancake

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
I have a Bloodlines role-play vampire alt who owns an Infinity amulet to avoid the Bloodlines blood curse, on which I very stupidly spent L$7,999!!! That's the one thing I purchased in SL that I now regret buying.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I was too quick to buy one of the first Lelutka mesh heads when they came out. It was a large SL purchase for me, and I really should have waited longer, tried out more...even waited for Bento. Because I ended up only using that first one for photos. Never as an everyday head. So that was about $15 I shouldn't have spent.
Basically this. I was cajoled by an acquaintance to get a mesh head. Said if I dared to call myself with a fashionista I should keep up with the Janeses appearance wise. It was the Lelutka Karin which didn't suit me. I wore it a bit and then stopped wearing it. I picked up a Catwa Tumble months later and it suited me better and then jumped to a Catwa Kathy so I finally look like me again.

The same applies to mesh bodies, I picked up a Belleza body early...but...for some reazon, Belleza never did appliers for my standard skin at the time which was the Belleza Betty/Shyla series which have different skin shades than the other Belleza skins (the Shyla/Betty's are more classic and better suit a redhead)

I've got a ReScene system too, picked it up back in 2012, never used. Actually used my EnGarde piste more.

I've been tempted to pick up the Rendezvous system, but figure I'd regret it.

Lewis Luminos

The Gingerbeard Man
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Amaretto horses. I spent a fortune on those things, and on the land to keep them.

That said, I had a lot of fun with them, and the community around the auctions was pretty cool for a while.

Amity Slade

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
Back in 2007 when I was new, it was the standard practice that private sims sold parcels the same way as mainland. So, you pay an initial purchase price, monthly tier payment, and then sell the parcel to someone else when you didn't want it anymore. I paid 79,000 L$ for a parcel on a guy's private estate continent (I forget what the monthly tier payment was). The original owner sold all his sims after a few months.

The new owner set up a rent box to accept the monthly payments. The first time I paid my monthly payment, I paid it before logging out for the night. Because I logged out after paying, I did not notice that the rent box gave me back the monthly payment because it was not configured properly. The next day, my parcel had been reclaimed and sold to someone else. When I asked the owner about it, he acknowledged that his rent box wasn't working, but refused to either give the parcel back or return the 79,000 L$ I had paid for it.

So that was my first Second Life economics lesson.

Last edited:

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Two come to mind ....

For an alt I splurged on a shape and skin set that I thought had looked great when I tried the demo, but when I discovered and removed the "who cares if everyone around you is blinded" body lights the skin looked like crap, and I was embarrassed about the blockiness and disproportions of the shape I had managed to miss with the demo. Since then I've done much better with freebies and DIY.

The other was a mansion or castle that supposedly had the qualities of super build quality, low land impact, and cheap price. The box turned out to be a griefer object and the sandbox admin had to restart the sim to clean up the mess. It was a great lesson to just stay away from the freebie dungeons.

• 2Like
Reactions: Pancake and GradyE

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So, so many things. The biggest one is probably Maitreya, and all the crap I have to go along with it. If I'd have known about Tonic's fine body and better understood the applier system I probably wouldn't have thrown tens of thousands of Lindens down the freakin toilet. :(

Marjolaine Seymour

What was the prim count?
Oh, that cute jet... I never got my own copy of it, but a dear friend of mine has rezzed one as a stationary object on my sim - contrary to newer creations of similar type, it has inside dimensions which are just right to allow some roleplay.
We rezzed a new copy a few days ago, so the rezzer did still work... after some nudging though :)
But it is prim beast.... I would estimate it 'eats' 1200+ prims.

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
SL Rez
HEX BOUGHT TIP JAR AND RENTAL SCRIPTS AND WAS NEVER HAPPY WITH THEM AND JUST ENDED UP WRITING HIS OWN, THEY WEREN'T SUPER EXPENSIVE THOUGH.

• 2Hug
Reactions: Robert Jung and GradyE

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Land. Buying a mainland sim while the land market was hot was insane. I sold parts of it off at first and eventually sold the whole thing but I'm fairly sure I didn't get all my money back.