You people use a lot of reactions

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Something else that is interesting to me that I've noticed this time around is that a handful of people are thread creators, most people just post replies to threads or mash reaction buttons. It wasn't as obvious with SLU, but with a smaller user base right now the pattern is a lot more obvious.
I'm always better at sarcastic replies.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Something else that is interesting to me that I've noticed this time around is that a handful of people are thread creators, most people just post replies to threads or mash reaction buttons. It wasn't as obvious with SLU, but with a smaller user base right now the pattern is a lot more obvious.
I rarely feel I have anything worthwhile to start a thread about. Being a smartarse is a lot easier.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yeah, I just quibble, anytime I start a thread it usually goes no where in a hurry. I have poor click-bait-foo. =}

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Some statistics for you for the first month of VVO:

View attachment 117
Before this and one other in a different thread, I had one post but about a billion post reactions. So now, assuming this post actually posts, I'll have three posts (that's a lot of using that word, posts, eventually I'll have a fence with all those posts in the ground).

Eh, combo of many things. Literally painful at times to communicate (not figurative - while that does tend to be more of a verbal thing, it does, oddly, pop up in written communication at times); typing something and seeing every other word misspelled; having nothing much to say; freaking out about how someone may or may not react to what I actually have written (if I actually ever do write anything).

So, yeah, I joined and post reactions skyrocketed over posts.

Oh, and I started a bunch of threads 'over there', hmm, that used to mean official forums, okay I mean SLU. I liked when I'd get responses. Was depressing when there might be one or three responses.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I'm going to give some unsolicited advice (not at all directing this at you, Lexxi, just to anyone who wants to receive it).

If you enjoy or appreciate receiving reactions and/or feedback, please try and give it to others as well.

I realize some people rarely use the buttons unless, example, they actually Laugh. Out. Loud. or would actually hug you in RL, or only think it necessary to thank someone if the news they bring is ground-shaking, and that's OK. Some experience forum (social) anxiety or are just shy. Some just think they are above it all and too many reactions = showing too much emotions(?) Some may just think the whole button mashing thing is irrelevent. Just keep in mind, though, that when people are paying attention to you, it isn't because you're the funniest comedian ever, or that in RL they would ever smother you in kisses and hugs, or find your news Mon Dieu Incroyable!!!

Reaction buttons are simply another form of communication that (I believe) add to the conversation, like body language and tone do. They let others know you are paying attention to what they are saying. They let people know they aren't simply speaking into the void. We could all just write in a journal and be done with it, no? I could be speaking this TL: DR into a mirror. We are here for interaction...

There are many reasons for not using the buttons, and everyone should be themselves and post the way that is most comfortable for them. Maybe they're on a phone where all the buttons don't show up, or maybe they simply wish no one would ever 'react' to their posts and don't know how to let others know, or whatever. Do you.

There is one poster here who never uses reaction buttons. I mean never. I'm going to use them as an example to make a point without naming them. There are others who rarely ''react'' so they won't know...

I remember this person, over the many years they have posted here, speaking a couple of times about something terrible that had happened in their life, and one time, they specifically wrote how the large number of ''reactions'' had really touched them, etc. l have to be honest, here. It pissed me off a little. If they know how much it is appreciated, then why don't they reciprocate? I don't understand.

So, again, If at times you enjoy or appreciate receiving reactions, keep in mind that others do as well.

In forums, virtual communities, RL, etc. it's all the same. No need to go overboard, of course. We are all different personality types. Stay true to yourself. I've dialed down my ''emoting'' over the years, figuring it might be offputting to some, and I try not to give too much attention to those who seem reluctant, thinking it may be, idk, uncomfortable for them.

But who knows, maybe they don't react to me and others because we're simply not that interesting or deserving of their attention. :loveflag:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Thanks button is awesome. I like it more than Like. I'd like Thanks as default button if I can change that as a personal setting. I've skimmed some documentation and settings but didn't find if that can be done.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There is one poster here who never uses reaction buttons. I mean never. I'm going to use them as an example to make a point without naming them.
:flounce:

• 1RuPaul
Reactions: craz

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Reaction buttons are simply another form of communication that (I believe) add to the conversation, like body language and tone do. They let others know you are paying attention to what they are saying. They let people know they aren't simply speaking into the void. We could all just write in a journal and be done with it, no? I could be speaking this TL: DR into a mirror. We are here for interaction...
:qft:

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Before this and one other in a different thread, I had one post but about a billion post reactions. So now, assuming this post actually posts, I'll have three posts (that's a lot of using that word, posts, eventually I'll have a fence with all those posts in the ground).

Eh, combo of many things. Literally painful at times to communicate (not figurative - while that does tend to be more of a verbal thing, it does, oddly, pop up in written communication at times); typing something and seeing every other word misspelled; having nothing much to say; freaking out about how someone may or may not react to what I actually have written (if I actually ever do write anything).

So, yeah, I joined and post reactions skyrocketed over posts.

Oh, and I started a bunch of threads 'over there', hmm, that used to mean official forums, okay I mean SLU. I liked when I'd get responses. Was depressing when there might be one or three responses.
I think I've known you for a pretty long time Lexxi, and your posts are always precious to me.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
I was turned off by reaction buttons for a long time. Mostly I think they just felt anti-conversational to me and I didn’t see the point. But once you recognize them as their own form of feedback and communication, using them becomes almost obligatory. I think they were much more necessary in a very active forum where you didn’t want the board to fill up with “yeah” responses for 10 pages. But also, some people don’t just have much to say on a topic (or don’t have the time), even though they do have an emotion to convey and the reaction buttons give them that option. So I’ve come completely around on them. I started out thinking they were silly conversation killers, but now I see them as meaningfully enabling people to briefly offer something they otherwise wouldn’t.

Moondust

not as creative as I thought
SL Rez
Joined SLU
3/4/15
I'm definitely more of a lurker than either a poster or responder, and a sometimes button-masher. I'm not very quick at thinking of responses - I seem to be best at thinking of responses I should have posted much later, when I'm out walking or washing dishes or something...

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I am often not logged in when reading. It's just a habit of mine on any website to not be always logged in. So...I log in, *specifically* to either make a post or to give reactions to others' posts. I find it important to give that feedback, though sometimes I might miss important things due to either not having seen a post or shortness of time.