What Are You Listening To?

Worthless Whore

This girl is worthless
One of the members of Walk Off The Earth died a month or so ago. I love this band and this makes me sad.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This album is on Spotify and YouTube. I met their upright bass player, Robert Kling, last weekend and was impressed with his virtuosity.

Robert also plays bass guitar in a fusion band called Captain Green

can has love new orleans

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ladytron released their new album on Friday. Then they uploaded every song on it to their Youtube channel.

So I created a playlist for them:

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Neil Young spent 3 million dollars of his own money making a completely bizarre movie, Human Highway. It includes this equally bizarre version of Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) in it, starring Devo.

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Ladytron released their new album on Friday. Then they uploaded every song on it to their Youtube channel.

So I created a playlist for them:

Great album, but PledgeMusic has turned the preorders into a clusterfuck. Not just Ladytron, but evey project in the shipping phase has been caught up in their financial/contract problems. I'm glad I only ordered a CD, and that included a flac copy of the album. And it is brilliant.

• 1Useful
Reactions: Free

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
So after Han's Mongolian find, the YouTube train brought on some Soviet synthpop.

It started with a generic feel but started to pick up, especially with a fine vocalist. Each subsequent listen feels more sublime than the prior. Another interesting feature is the seriousness of the audience. Clearly into it, with none of the mosh pit carnival nature of the Anglosphere.

So it turns out Alliance was a pretty big band in the USSR. Small studio audience in that, wondering what if any criteria for tickets to that show. Did they have any big concerts? What did a Soviet era concert look like?

Rock music in Russia - Wikipedia
During the early 1980s Soviet authorities started to exert heavy pressure on amateur bands, banning underground concerts as a sort of illegal commercial activity, and even imprisoning some music promoters and sound engineers for earning money from underground concerts. At the same time, several rock clubs were established[by whom?] to allow amateur bands to perform legal concerts.
oh.

And that super serious audience?
In Russian, the original meaning of word "рок" is "fate" or "doom". The word is used almost exclusively in fiction, especially poetry (more widely used synonym is "судьба"). These correlate with the poetic roots of Russian rock and its attention to "serious" topics.
It also leaves me mildly saddened with this example of a lot of cultural stuffs lost or unshared for decades due to closed borders. But hey, we got the internet now and a great frontier of cultural sharing dawns, amirite?