We Are A Harsh Viper's Nest

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
It’s not criticism guys.
Saying VVO is US centric is just an observation, or fact actually based on the stats Cris posted.
It’s ok to be US centric when majority is American.

Besides, even Canadian and European centric places discuss Trump, because really... who wouldn’t be.
I hope I didn't sound argumentative. I only meant to explain it.

It's not criticism, and it's not a weakness, either. Like Sid, I have learned so much about the US here (and in SL, where I am mostly on english speaking sims, too) and I am still fascinated by all those culture gaps I wasn't even aware of. I actually have learned a lot about Canada, too. And I am morbidly fascinated by US-American politics nowadays, anyway, and SLU/VVO members have given me insight and information I would hardly get anywhere else.
And I enjoy the (not that numerous, but also not -that- rare) occasions a lot when it comes to a truly international debate, where people from all over the world chime in and share their perspectives.
I noticed you used the phrase "morbidly fascinated by US-American politics." That's a good word choice. I'd love to hear more about political situations that aren't quagmires for a change... the biggest international issue I follow right now is Brexit, which is also a quagmire...

• 2Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
We do discuss Brexit here (and on SLU). Even before the referendum went sour.
Of course in it's own thread.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I didn't take it as criticism. I was just trying to acknowledge a few things that can happen when an American steps into a room, not so much here at this forum, but in general. Like any form of communication, it should be give and take.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That's another thing, unless you are from the US or even the UK, you can feel a little left out in political discussions.

Obviously not the forum's fault, just that it may make you want to take a break.
I especially like talking to people in other parts of the world. I hope you will all want to stay here. We in the US are pretty freaked out and we need the reassurance that other people care about the same things. I can see how tiresome it can be. It is to me but I am stuck in it. I apologize to everyone else for our stupid problems.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If I want to discuss the Dutch news, I know this isn't the right forum to do so. There ain't many Dutchies around.
I learned a lot about the US culture, mentality and politics over the years though.
Things I would never have learned from Dutch tv or magazines. In fact sometimes I feel better informed on US items than the political commentators at home, when they talk about 45 and his :poop:.
I treasure your posts Sid. And I'd love to learn what life is like for you over there.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I especially like talking to people in other parts of the world. I hope you will all want to stay here. We in the US are pretty freaked out and we need the reassurance that other people care about the same things. I can see how tiresome it can be. It is to me but I am stuck in it. I apologize to everyone else for our stupid problems.
I have been touched at how supportive and sympathetic our friends around the world have been. They share our horror at
the tragedy that has befallen us, instead of just laughing at us. Of course, that is also because the tragedy has befallen the whole planet.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I treasure your posts Sid. And I'd love to learn what life is like for you over there.
Thanks.

It is basically what Isabeau wrote earlier on in this thread.
(mind you, no criticism at all, but as it goes on international forums)

I've done that in the past but it usually was answered with US examples or comparisons of similar situations, ...........
Honestly, it isn't the forum, and it isn't anyone's doing. It's perfectly normal for the majority to discuss things that touch the most people.

VVO is perfect. :flower:

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
The food section is quite international.
Also what’s a ‘gobhorn’?
🌽🐍🐍🐍🌽

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I never look at the official boards. Not since I found SLU many years ago. I just don't have the time to worry about what other people think. Especially people who take a forum choice so personally. If that's all they have to do with their lives I think that tells me all I need to know.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yall can be a bit prickly at the start of someone dropping in. Once you are in though just develop a sense of not giving a shit.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Sorry for the geeky sidetrack, but no Linux users?!
Until recently I was using Linux till I got a new(er) system that came with a Windows license ... and I saw a big jump in frame rates.
my old machine ran linux and i saw a big jump down to my present system. of course it could have something to do with the different hardware....

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
my old machine ran linux and i saw a big jump down to my present system. of course it could have something to do with the different hardware....
I tried both Linux and Windows on the newer system with drivers from Nvidia's website and saw much higher fps with Windows.

Sorry for being too brief, but I think I can hear shouts of GetToTheFuckingPoint when I ramble.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Sorry for the geeky sidetrack, but no Linux users?!
Until recently I was using Linux till I got a new(er) system that came with a Windows license ... and I saw a big jump in frame rates.
Eh, I use Linux on the server and my work lappy. On my home desktop? Not anymore, since a few years ago. Ironically a big reason was, after years, the fact that somehow the SL viewer FPS got worse and worse compared to the Windows one along with LL's official drop of active Linux focus and moving that work to the community. Previously the FPS were equal or even higher at times.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio