Trump Calls For "Christian Day Of Visibility", AKA Every Fucking Day

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,158
SL Rez
2002
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
35836

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,891
SL Rez
2007
Trump pandering to his base.... and it will work. Never mind he's very obviously not really a Christian.

...and obviously the Christian Majority isn't visible enough with Christmas season taking up so much of the year.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
What is Christmas then? Chopped liver?

Christian Day of Visibility? I'd be down with that, if they could limit themselves to one. Give up the rest of December, and lots of March and April.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
What is Christmas then? Chopped liver?

Christian Day of Visibility? I'd be down with that, if they could limit themselves to one. Give up the rest of December, and lots of March and April.
I think you mean, "Happy Holidaysmas" buddy.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I think you mean, "Happy Holidaysmas" buddy.
I'm still hoping some right winger takes offense when I say "happy holidays", so I can fire back with "oh! In that case, Merry Christmas... And go f**k yourself for New years!"
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
Personally, I wish some of the non-Evangelical Protestant Christians were a lot more visible, so that we didn't get painted with the same brush. Not to mention that for most Orthodox Christians - Christmas is January 7, and most years Easter (Pascha) is on a different day. This year Pascha is on May 6. We've all seen the Simpsons meme of the guy standing in front of the Greek Orthodox Church holding a sign saying, "This is our Palm Sunday." And going back to Christmas - we have St Nicholas Day about 2 weeks before Christmas - traditionally, that used to be when gifts were given with Nativity being a strictly relgious holiday.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
we have St Nicholas Day about 2 weeks before Christmas - traditionally, that used to be when gifts were given with Nativity being a strictly relgious holiday.
We have St Nicolas day (December 6th) in NL for the presents (in fact we have 3 St Nicolas weeks) and because the whole world has Christmas for presents, we have presents there too. Best not start with St Nicolas day.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
On a religious note, someone called me today concerning an apartment that’s available in the building. Anyway, he says he’s calling for his brother in law and tells me he has a job and is a good person because he’s very religious - evangelical.

Me:
 

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
We have St Nicolas day (December 6th) in NL for the presents (in fact we have 3 St Nicolas weeks) and because the whole world has Christmas for presents, we have presents there too. Best not start with St Nicolas day.
I like St Nicholas Day.

One year when I was home for western-Easter, I asked my mom if she wanted to come to church with me for Lazarus Saturday. My step-father asked WTF is Lazarus Saturday - I explained it as the Holy Week Pre-Game Show. This year one of my nieces asked the priest at the Anglican Church my sister's family attends why they don't have Lazarus Saturday, and told him it's the Holy Week Pre-Game Show. She has also respectfully asked me why we say the Creed different - she caught that during a Christmas Eve Carol Sing I went to with them. She also asked why Easter is usually a different day for us. Because she's 1) my niece, and was 2) respectul and asking from a legitimate curiousity I explained it to her as best I could. The dude at Hub's Quaker Meeting who asked about Easter being on different days - because of how he asked - I told him to mind his own business and don't worry about it.

On another curious note - we've had a sudden influx of young men in our parish - not young families - young single men. Like the back two rows of our church are filled with young men who look like they're all in their 20's. They're not a problem - all very nice young people as far as I can see - but I find it curious that they're all apparently single men.
 
  • 1Interesting
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Sid

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
This seems like a good thread to post this in.


Donald Trump, a 77-year-old Bible salesman from Palm Beach, Florida, has emerged as the nation’s most prominent Christian leader. Trump is running for president as a divinely chosen champion of White Christians, promising to sanctify their grievances, destroy their perceived enemies, bolster their social status, and grant them the power to impose an anti-feminist, anti-LGBTQ, White-centric Christian nationalism from coast to coast. That Trump doesn’t attend church and has obviously never read the book that he hawks for $59.99, seems of interest exclusively to his political opponents.
What might catch the attention of some evangelical conservatives, however, is that Trump’s ostentatious embrace of White Christian militantism coincides with a precipitous decline in religious affiliation in the US. According to the Public Religion Research Institute, one-quarter of Americans in 2023 said they were religiously unaffiliated. “Unaffiliated” is the only religious category experiencing growth. In a single decade, from 2013 to 2023, the percentage of Americans saying that religion is the most important thing, or among the most important things, in their life plummeted to 53% from 72%.
:qft:
And this, although I think that the general populations claiming that they are unaffiliated with religion has been increasing since the militant religious right started their shenanigans to take over the Republican party back in the 1970's.
 

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
1,616
Location
North of Surf City
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
27.05.2009
SLU Posts
5294
This seems like a good thread to post this in.






:qft:
And this, although I think that the general populations claiming that they are unaffiliated with religion has been increasing since the militant religious right started their shenanigans to take over the Republican party back in the 1970's.
I forget where I read it: that the USA is a more Christian (and more generally more religious) country than European countries has been attributed to the separation of church and state in the USA. Having government (or Donald Trump claiming he's still president <eyeroll> ) semi-officially thrusting religion at one is a total religious turn-off for many people. Only the fanatically converted seem to disagree and to want government to support their unique religion so they can use government to force others to conform to their religion.